iPod Interface Adapters

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

iPod Interface Adapters

Post by Subaru_Nation555 »

Has anyone had any expereince with any of the iPod car stereo adapters. I know Alpine, Pioneer and Kenwood all make them. I've heard the Alpine one has some flaws. Any thoughts?
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Post by subawhatsubawho »

Will this enfluence your car stereo buying choice?

If not I would suggest getting the radio you like and getting a Monster audio transmitter/charger.

I think they even make one now with a wireless remote that control your iPod.
1991 Legacy BJ L 5MT AWD 189K Paid $100 STOLEN 2/13/06
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

subawhatsubawho wrote:Will this enfluence your car stereo buying choice?

If not I would suggest getting the radio you like and getting a Monster audio transmitter/charger.

I think they even make one now with a wireless remote that control your iPod.
Yeah it sorta will. I'm done with FM transmitters and wires and crap. I want something clean and simple. Now it comes down to which one (Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony or Clarion) makes the best headunit and iPod interface.
All_talk
Third Gear

Post by All_talk »

I have a Pioneer deck and have been wanting to get the AUX input adapter for it so I can use my iTunes phone in the car. The Pioneer unit plugs in where the CD changer would, looks like there are 2 versions, a "dumb" one - $12 on ebay and a "smart" version - about $25, looks like the smart one has a pre-amp that sets the proper line in level.

I too would be interested in others experiences.

Gary
No matter how broke I am... I always seem to find two cents.
92ss
In Neutral

Post by 92ss »

i've got the alpine and love it. the flaw is your limited on playlist lenght but it's not like you need a million hours non stop in the car. kenwood one is good too. pioneer = poop in my professional opinion.
92 legacy SS - snow
90 legacy ls - dirt
90 prelude si 4ws - pavement
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

tonflo
First Gear

Post by tonflo »

Check out the ones from PIE and Blitzsafe too
'94 Legacy Touring wagon. Quicksilver metallic. WRX rims, Whiteline ALK, SS brakelines, GR2s, alum. coolant tank. Gone, but not forgotten

'99 NSX, Alex Zanardi edition, #11/50. All stock & red 2 go

'05 Corolla XRS
seattlelegacy
In Neutral

Post by seattlelegacy »

I've always had great luck with Pioneer stuff. I can't say the same for alpine. :-)
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Can you feel the tension in the thread? It's almost like getting PC people and Mac people in the same room.

555 has started an audio war. LOL!! J/K!

I like Pyle stuff myself. I also rock roadmaster whenever there is a sale on it at K-mart.
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

subawhatsubawho wrote:Can you feel the tension in the thread? It's almost like getting PC people and Mac people in the same room.
Haha, yeah the PC/Mac war is always fun.

I've been reading a lot of customer reviews for all of these things and they all seem to have the same flaw: you can't use your iPod when its hooked up and scrolling through all your songs takes way to long using the HU. I'm leaning toward XM.
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

I have XM and I love it. When you get XM and you are a subscriber you also get free access to their on-line service and there is a ton of stuff on-line that you don't get on the XN radio itself.

Basically you can listen to XM in your car, your home, and anywhere there is Wi-Fi if you have a laptop.

My mother in-law uses my account to listen to christmas music at work while I listen to Squizz (metal) at home and both my car and my wife's car has the radios. I have the Sky-Fi2 (has TiVo function and remote) and she has the Road2 with remote.

I am thinkging about ditching my sky-fi for a HU with the XM built in because I don't like the audio quality of the XM thru the built-in transmitter and I gave the tape adapter thing to a friend. It's also a pain in the ass to keep haning to change the car stereos radio station when I travel. (Transmitter freq sometimes has strong radio signals on it)

If you want to check out the on-line service temp. just let me know and you can use my name and password.
White Out
First Gear

Post by White Out »

check out my post & picture on WRXF.

Nick
1987 Buick Grand National
2003 WRX Sportwagon - ej207/vf30
2004 STi - built motor/gt35r
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Try posting a link to that spunky!
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Blackbart
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Blackbart »

I have a Subaru radio/cassette with the aux jack in the front, my iPod plugs rigth in, I use a double sided male 1/8 inch plug from radio shack, about $5. I have another one of these radios, $50
Last edited by Blackbart on Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I'm going to be getting the pioneer version (CD-IB100 = $96) in a couple of weeks.

I already have a pioneer HU, so this is just the next step for me. I may have hampered functionality due to my HU not actively supporting it, but it should do 90% of what the others can.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Nomake Wan
Second Gear

Post by Nomake Wan »

I've got the Alpine adapter in my car and adore it. Unfortunately, it's my iPod that's currently shot, so for the moment I live 1 CD at a time. XP Way too lazy to fix the damn thing.

It's a really good setup, hell of a lot better (not to mention simpler) than the rigging I was going to do originally. Sound is perfectly crisp even at high volume (though I've never had it over 16 save for when the system was first installed), it charges automatically, and can be controlled from the deck. Now, the control from the deck thing is cool and all, but it depends on what you like. I prefer leaving it on shuffle play and then just skipping ahead if I don't like a particular song.

If you want to pick a specific song, good luck doing it from the deck--it doesn't support very many songs in a playlist for scanning manually. It's better to just pick a song on the iPod and then plug it in; that's what I do.

Also, it should be noted that another annoying thing is that the deck will always start up in "default" iPod reading mode, meaning it changes the iPod defaults to match... that is, for me at least, it starts up with shuffle off and actually changes the iPod setting to match. It is a bit irritating having to turn it back on every time I plug in, but that's life.

Any other questions about the Alpine, just drop a line.
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/762395]1990 Legacy L (Sold)[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2564067]1992 SVX LS-L[/url]
[quote="LaureltheQueen"]I like my automatic, it's fun to drink coffee and smoke civics at the same time[/quote]
nsantos23
First Gear

Post by nsantos23 »

I got a Aiwa with the Aux Jack in the fronk just like Blackbart said, i just connect one end to the radio and the other to the ipod

some stock radios had the aux jack however, if you switch the radio from a 90 or 91 with aux with a 92 to 94 without it may not work

neo
1990 L 2wd 5spd 215K miles
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

IronMonkeyL255 wrote:I'm going to be getting the pioneer version (CD-IB100 = $96) in a couple of weeks.
Let me know how that works out. I just bought a Pioneer HU.