VW rims? problems with offset?

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Threshld1
Second Gear

VW rims? problems with offset?

Post by Threshld1 »

Hey guys ive been doing my best to read and search to avoid posting. but ive got a 93 SS with some pretty sorry alloys that leak ~10psi a week. Ive got a buddy with a 93 vw passat vr-6 with the BBS 15 alloys. I foudnt they were the same bolt pattern though a slightly diffrent offset. but i have one bald tire and these rims have brand new blizzaks on them. they are 205/50r15 i believe.

So my question is how is this going to affect my car, would it be worth doing till i can get some new rims this summer? I read a diffrent offset will contribute to torque steer and stress wheel bearings.
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Post by subawhatsubawho »

Other people have put VW rims on their roos. Hell...I am looking for a sweet set of Vdub rims for my BJ.

GO FOR IT! The offset isn't that big of a difference. If you notice and rub then just get some spacers....problem solved.

Enjoy your new rims and post up a pic!
1991 Legacy BJ L 5MT AWD 189K Paid $100 STOLEN 2/13/06
Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

how important would an alignment be after this? quite IIRC...
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Alignment doesn't rely on the tire. Alignments are relative to the other wheels on the car. Changing wheels, as long as all are the same, won't matter.

If you have ONE bald tire, then you should probably get an alignment anyway.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Don't listen to subawhatsubawho.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Is there some kind of messed up conspiracy going on against me?

There is nothing wrong with putting Vdub rims on your roo! There is a guy in my town that has some sweet jetta rims on his OBW and it looks nice as hell.

If you want to put any 5x100 rim on your car that will fit and not cause any problems...do it! It's your car. Nobody can tell you what to do.

Don't listn to vrg3.
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

there is a 10-17mm difference in offset so they may or may not work depending upon tire choice. You may strike the fenders in the front. There will be a little more stress on the bearings but I don't think that is a big deal, personally

so, the wheels have the correct hubcentricity ? right ? or do some of us not even know what that is ?
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

If the hubs are over sized you could order the hub centric rings from the guys on ebay or your local custom wheel place. I can't say that the local tire kingdom would have them...they might but tye are usually too stupid to know what they are.
Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

i found a site saying the VW CB (they called it Center bore (http://www.wheels4car.com/VBoltRef.html) was slightly larger 57.1mm than the legy 56.1mm. so i believe they would fit with little movement with .5mm gap from the hub to the wheel (if those specs are right). Ive been finding that differance in offset online also i guess i can try it and see but it might prove to be too much work to get them off the vw sitting in a snowy lot with the possibility they wont work so...
thanks for the input
Blackbart
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Blackbart »

The VW's use lug bolts that have a different "seat" than the Subaru lug nuts. The Subaru lug nuts do not fit correctly into the VW rims; convex vs. taper. Unless you can find nuts that are shapped like the WV bolts I wouldn't use them, I have not yet found any.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Ah, just torque them really hard. Then do it again a couple days later when they loosen up.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

yeah i decided it was a bad idea in general and had the existing ones balanced and seats cleaned to stop the leaking tire (which it did) thanks for the input guys