A few questions about transmission removal

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Well, got it out just now. It only took a few minutes. I guess yesterday the frustration factor was just standing in the way. I'm pretty happy with myself, pulling my first Subaru transmission in about 5 hours total by myself and with only a ghetto $13.99-from-Big-Lots hydraulic jack.

Now we play the waiting game...

Oh, and in case I didn't make it clear -- you do have to remove at least part of the driveshaft. The play in the joints alone is insufficient to allow the shaft to be disconnected from the transmission otherwise.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

I'm having trouble decoding the drunk speak... :) Why are you pulling your tranny Vikash?
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

It's not the drunk speak; I didn't explain it in this thread.

I removed by transmission because it's broken. For a few months I've felt like my transmission was acting a little funny, and this past Tuesday something inside made a spectacular BANG! and that was it. I'm very curious to see what broke inside.

But to clarify my post from last night:

A replacement transmission from another 93 Sport Sedan is on its way to me from Eur-Asian Auto Parts in Englewood, Colorado. With any luck it will arrive sometime this week and I will install it, fill it with cheap dino gear oil, drive it for a week, and change the fluid out for Redline LightWeight ShockProof. Lots of gentle low-boost driving with double-clutching is in my future.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

vrg3 wrote:Well, got it out just now. It only took a few minutes. I guess yesterday the frustration factor was just standing in the way. I'm pretty happy with myself, pulling my first Subaru transmission in about 5 hours total by myself and with only a ghetto $13.99-from-Big-Lots hydraulic jack.
:smt038: Right on V! Feels good, don't it? Did you drop it down all by yourself? These trannies aren't light.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Thanks, man! It sure does feel good, although I'm real sore. I'm taking lots of vitamin I.

I did all of it all by myself. I had the ghetto jack (and a bunch of wooden blocks to achieve the necessary height) under the transmission. It was a little scary but it worked out okay. I basically dropped the transmission onto the jack (keeping it balanced on the half-dollar-sized jack pad with my hand) and then rolled it onto the floor onto a few layers of my clothing that I had removed as my body warmed up.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

That's the manly way to do it!!!

Congrats man!

I'm sure you can figure out the disassembly of the transmission yourself, but I can lend you a phone-hand if curiousity beckons. It's not difficult, but can be intimidating. Reassembly isn't too easy.

I wonder if the 3 of us could peice together one good transmission. I'd be curious to know. I just need an input shaft with a good 2nd gear for mine to be OK again.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

vrg3 wrote:Yay, hopefullyit was jut flearning ttuff, Matt. I;m so glad Subarnns'a working again.

i ahve a tran msionn on its wayfromn a hunkyuard fcalled Eur-Asian AUto parts anbd hopefuly itw ill be her this weeklj sometme., i zajhust want to have mnyb s0tkc bprken trsasmiosson out beforoe the new one gets herel., I"mg oging to run cheap GL5 for one gas tank and then swch aot Redline Lightweight shopckporrf (even though Superlight is the one wit te correct viscocity specoficantion). I'll duouble curlutch everywhere i go and drive ver gently on waystlyegate bost, thatsa ny plan..
:lol:
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Did you quote that just so that I can never edit it away? ;)

Oh well. Good times.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Thanks, Phil... it'll probably be a while until I have time to open the transmission up, but I'm really curious to see what I broke. I bet I have more than one chewed up gear, since I limped the car much more than you guys probably did.

It seems fairly straightforward to get the box apart, though... you take off the rear half of the transfer case, pull out the center diff, remove the front half of the transfer case, and then undo all the bolts holding the two halves of the gearbox together. Is that basically right?

Reassembly is probably something I won't tackle myself. Clearances matter so much.
thefultonhow
Second Gear

Post by thefultonhow »

Hey Vikash, which one is easier from the POV of a clutch job -- dropping the transmission, or sliding the engine forward? Especially which one is easier if I don't have a hoist? I will also be replacing my left CV axle, so axle removal will be only half as inconvenient as usual.

(Yes, back from the dead, I know.)
-- David

1990 Subaru Legacy L+ 4WD Wagon 5MT, white with 66k miles -- SOLD
[url=http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66214]1992 Infiniti G20 5MT[/url], White Sandstone with 175k miles
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd suggest dropping the trans. It's easier in my mind.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm