Does anyone have the efficiency map for a stock turbo handy?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Does anyone have the efficiency map for a stock turbo handy?

Post by ciper »

A graph would be cool, or if you know off hand what is the optimum range? At what point would the turbo (installed on a legacy 2.2 of course) reach the edge of the range?

I hear many mention running high boost numbers but they forget to tell what turbo is being used. I doubt the stock unit can be pushed that far.
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

For an RHB5 VF 10 like we have (US spec), the optimum is around 14-15 psi. That is with an easier breathing intake and a free-flow exhaust.

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Really? Stock pressure is far below that, why'd they choose this turbo?
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

LegacyT wrote:For an RHB5 VF 10 like we have (US spec), the optimum is around 14-15 psi. That is with an easier breathing intake and a free-flow exhaust.

Mark,
Where did you get these numbers?
-Jason Grahn
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I found this
I talked myself into a larger IHI ball bearing turbo upgrade (more on that later). This compressor uses the same up-pipe and down-pipe as the Legacy RHB5 compressor, and is an upgrade compressor, not an OEM. It is not labeled with any model numbers, but it the equivalent to a Garrett T28 turbo which I am told is good for 14 PSI at 7,000 rpm before the thermal efficiency gets worse. I am told he legacy turbo is supposed to be good for 7 PSI at 6,000 before exceeding it's thermal efficiency (hence the 230hp max that Shiv talks about on the legacy turbo).
http://www.imprezars.com/sdsefi.htm

It says that 6k rpm at 7 psi on a 2.5l engine, so Id guess the legacy to be around 9psi?

Another site I found mentioned that 11 is about right on a 1.8 liter engine with this turbo. This was on a mazda 1.8 but it gives an idea.

LegacyT: I think someone may have gave you the info on the wrong turbo
Last edited by ciper on Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

ciper wrote:I found this
http://www.imprezars.com/sdsefi.htm

It says that 6k rpm at 7 psi on a 2.5l engine, so Id guess the legacy to be around 9psi?
That's what you'll spike to stock if you put on a K&N filter and a 3" turbo back w/ no cat.
-Jason Grahn
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Maybe I got wrong numbers, but I remember seeing a graph of various CFM's for different turbo's (not the recent ones posted here and on nasioc) some 3 years ago, it had the RHB5 VF 10 on there and it showed something like 360 CFM at 14 psi, which isnt bad. I've ran 13 psi with no intercooler on 91 octane and the motor didn't mind it at all, which lead me to think that the turbo is still relatively efficient at around that level. But yeah, maybe the turbos happiest coolest pressure is at 9 psi, I don't know.

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Not completly related but these two links are great:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-3s-compflowmaps.htm http://www.opeltuners.com/turbo_efficiency/article.html

So what is considered the popular next step up from the stock turbo that is easily available?
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

some usdm legacy's came with the RHB5 VF11 not just the VF10.Does anyone know the optimum for the VF11?

ciper- a nice saab 900 or 93-96 sti or '02+wrx usdm tmic.I haven't actually done mine yet but in doing research everyone told me an intercooler is the best next step for engine performance from the stock setup.the saab and usdm wrx i/c go pretty cheap on ebay but the 93-96 sti usually need to be ordered from new zealand or ausralia and tend to run a bit more.after that a boost gauge then boost controller.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
91scoobiesubie
First Gear

Post by 91scoobiesubie »

how do i know what turbo i have?
Jaxx
In Neutral

Post by Jaxx »

hmm that is intersting ... i thougth the vf-10 was smaller than that .. mine came from a jdm legacy GT (200 hp ~7 psi stock w/ air to water intercooler)
2005 LGT stage 2 +openECU
1993 Impreza (EJ20KDW6HE+4.44)
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

http://www.ihi-turbo.com/turbo_RHE-RHF.htm

Heard the RHF5 is the new version of the RHB5 but is the same.this info doesn't list the different compressor sizes though.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

hey i push the stock unit to 20psi it works good 4 me. it all depend s on what type off power or where u whant the power what r u trying to do. drag, track, street, hwy or like me all in one thats the beautie of all wheel drive ahahah. ciao
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

NICO I WRX U: Even before Im finished I have to say you are running too much boost on that turbo. The efficiency at that boost level will be REALLY bad, you might actually get more HP by dropping the boost!
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

i tried the drop to 15psi its so slow. i no why it sounds like a lot cuz the intercooler is so big. what i figer is the turbo fills the intercooler but when it gets in the motor its only 15psi so it filling it up at 20psi then drops once its fill up till i use it then if the blow off valve opens it loses agian tihs must sound nuts but i think this how it works so i am only get 15psi in motor and 20psi in the intercooler of build up and if u play wit the blow off it could play a very very very very big roll ciao.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Nico, don't you have the T-bird compressor swapped in?
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

i did have it in i change it agian i dont like the spool up it gives me it takes to long. the factory turbo spins so fast it sends my car in worp speed. i got another turbo 4 a crazy swap it came out of a turbo xt the exuste houseing fan is huge i am going to mix all three to see what one i like so far the factory is the best.
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

The RHF turbos are ball bearing. As for the T-bird compressor, I get 10 psi at 1950. Through the stock exhaust! Good enough for me because the top end is much better than stock.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
EJ20TMAN
In Neutral

Post by EJ20TMAN »

Jaxx wrote:hmm that is intersting ... i thougth the vf-10 was smaller than that .. mine came from a jdm legacy GT (200 hp ~7 psi stock w/ air to water intercooler)
Nah nah bro, they run 9-11 psi on stock JDM cars. They are only good for up to 14 psi nemore then ur just making hot air
1990 GT wagon JDM, TD05H, FMIC, Bosch coils 4in twin split dump 3 in rest of system, lowered, manual conversion, 17's, 17psi boost :) , tints, intake res gone and loving it!!!