Ford Fusion

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ford Fusion

Post by Legacy777 »

I had this car as a rental car last week. It really was a pretty decent car for a ford. TONS better then most of the crap I get from the rental places

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... ordfusion/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

What did you rent it for?

I sat in a Mercury Milan at the last car show, and I was impressed with the fit and finish (maybe coz it was a Mercury :roll: ). The only thing I don't like on the Fusion are the massive chrome grill (same goes for the Mercury), or the Altezza taillights...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

Kinda nice to hear a decent reveiw of a domestic. Ford and GM are taking such a major assbeatin, I really hate to see so many americans loose their jobs. It will be interesting to see their last ditch efforts, this looks like the begining.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

My Mazda 3's a pretty nice car for the money and they come cheaper than what I paid. It's basically the new generation European Focus. They really should sell it here, especially as it's supposed to be better quality even than the Mazda. The rally car looks sick and is doing well this year. The Mazda's still no Subaru, but that's a damn tough thing to live up to. The domestics just have to get their shit together in terms of deciding what they want to do. Building cut-rate cars is generally not the answer and trying to be in between is even worse.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I test-drove a Mazda5 manual last week at my job, and my thoughts were as follows:

1) Like all inline-4's. No low-end torque!!! I seriously had my foot almost to the floor, and it didn't do shit until 4000rpm. Once there, it moved nicely, but God that pussiness down low gets on my nerves. Subaru - 1

2) Rode pretty damn good. It was firm enough that it felt sporty, but not bone-jarring. Handled as well as a small minivan would. This isn't really a fair judgement, as my cars are old, but I've driven new Subarus, and I might have to give this one to the Mazda.

3) Lots of room! Anyone sitting in it (at least the front two rows) would think it's a full-size minivan. We all know that vast improvements have been made in making smaller cars roomier these days, and simply for that, it has to go to the Mazda.

4) Quality? Let's just say that I understood that the 5's were not only recalled, but sales of them were halted because something about the cat convertor gets too hot and the heatshields are insufficient and some cars were catching fire. 5's are 95% built in Japan, that part must be the 5% built only by Ford. :roll: This one goes to Subaru.

Then once you throw in the personality that a Subaru has over just about any other car on the market, and Subaru wins. :)

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

A 4 cylinder is too small for a minivan. Try the 2.3 in the 3. (Would love to see the Mazdaspeed6 drivetrain in it) Still less torque and lower gearing than the Subaru in spite of variable valve timing and intake, but not bad. Better mileage at over 100, though. Springs are too soft and shocks a little too stiff, but grips like a mofo comapred to the wagon ... until it understeers and then it just plows or comes back into line, but there's no hanging out the rear end like the wagon. Wagon with fresh GR2s has much better suspension travel, ground clearance, and rides a little better, but at this point with the GR2s on their way out (gone too stiff as a prequel to blowing out) the 3 rides better. For the money, I still feel it's the best NEW car. Already have 14k on it and I drive like an absolute asshole. 100+ every day and lots of redline, still 26 mpg. As fast as the wagon was at it's happiest (~150k) - this car's too damn heavy and not as stiff feeling. I guess I have a bunch of airbags and the stereo kicks the Subaru's ass. I could have an Aston Martin and still find a hundred reasons my Subaru is better. I wonder if I should bother buying an Elise.

If the Euro Ford Focus is better, I'd realy like to drive it. I'll be up on the warranty on this car in another year or so and don't want to spend more than $300/month. Subaru doesn't make a new car that cheap and I need something new to rely on for my job now. I think Ford has the ability to do somehting right if they could only focus it (no pun intended).

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
import_freak
First Gear

Post by import_freak »

Having driven a zephyr and milan (i work at a lincoln mercury dealership). They really some pretty nice cars. Front end of the zephyr looks a heck of alot better.
93 legacy turbo sedan
00 jeep wrangler
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

IIRC, the Fusion and the Xypher(sp) use the Mazda6 chassis.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

rallitektech wrote:Kinda nice to hear a decent reveiw of a domestic. Ford and GM are taking such a major assbeatin, I really hate to see so many americans loose their jobs. It will be interesting to see their last ditch efforts, this looks like the begining.

No no, you mean you don't want to see a bunch of Canadians and Mexicans lose their jobs....

Seriously, my friend was asking me what kind of car she should get, but added that her dad said she should buy American, cause it keeps people working...so I said buy a Toyota, because I think they make more cars in America than any of the Big 3.

There is a reason Ford and GM are taking such an assbeating...cause their quality is terrible...and they still like pushrods...
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

555BCTurbo wrote:
rallitektech wrote:Kinda nice to hear a decent reveiw of a domestic. Ford and GM are taking such a major assbeatin, I really hate to see so many americans loose their jobs. It will be interesting to see their last ditch efforts, this looks like the begining.

No no, you mean you don't want to see a bunch of Canadians and Mexicans lose their jobs....

Seriously, my friend was asking me what kind of car she should get, but added that her dad said she should buy American, cause it keeps people working...so I said buy a Toyota, because I think they make more cars in America than any of the Big 3.

There is a reason Ford and GM are taking such an assbeating...cause their quality is terrible...and they still like pushrods...
yup
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
www.sl-i.net (for all Legacys!)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

subyluvr2212 wrote:What did you rent it for?
Because I needed a car, and that's what Avis gave me ;)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Post by subawhatsubawho »

Last time I checked Subarus are made in america...right.
1991 Legacy BJ L 5MT AWD 189K Paid $100 STOLEN 2/13/06
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

subawhatsubawho wrote:Last time I checked Subarus are made in america...right.
Legacies and Tribecas are.
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Post by Subaru_Nation555 »

I still think most American cars are ugly and the Fusion is no exception. I really hate Ford and GM but people losing their jobs is never a good thing.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Legacy777 wrote:Because I needed a car, and that's what Avis gave me ;)
Last time I checked, you have a very nice Legacy you could be driving, and also a Nissan truck :)
subawhatsubawho wrote:Last time I checked Subarus are made in america...right.
Have you seen my avatar on the other Subie boards?

*Formerly DerFahrer*

subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Post by subawhatsubawho »

I only belong to this board and Nabisco.
1991 Legacy BJ L 5MT AWD 189K Paid $100 STOLEN 2/13/06
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

subyluvr2212 wrote:
Legacy777 wrote:Because I needed a car, and that's what Avis gave me ;)
Last time I checked, you have a very nice Legacy you could be driving, and also a Nissan truck :)
Yes,

But those vehicles were in Houston, I happened to be in Greenville, SC.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

subyluvr2212 wrote: 1) Like all inline-4's. No low-end torque!!!
cyl configuration has no bearing on torque output.
evolutionmovement wrote:Wagon with fresh GR2s has much better suspension travel
Dead struts provide just as much travel as new ones.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Nothing to do with travel. The struts get stiff as hell prior to blowing out completely. Stiff struts just bang around and the car skips over mid turn bumps like a live axle car. I can still jump islands and blast down dirt roads, it's just a lot less comfortable.

Steve
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

scottzg wrote:
subyluvr2212 wrote: 1) Like all inline-4's. No low-end torque!!!
cyl configuration has no bearing on torque output.
right. Although you could say that anyone driving a 4cyl isn't very interested in low end torque, and most 4cyl vehicles have I-4s.
185,000 miles
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

Fusion is a good car, much better then any current USA ford product (europe gets all the cool shit)

http://www.hrsprings.com/site/projects/fusion/body.html
-Jason Grahn
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Yes, gentlemen, but most newer inline-4's have balance shafts to help smooth out their natural vibrations, and they do require energy to turn, and that is energy that's not making it to the wheels. We, having perfectly balance engines, do not need balance shafts.

There are other factors too (like the 5 being a minivan of sorts), but the balance shaft is a big part of it.

*Formerly DerFahrer*