'91 SS with KYB AGX--parts list

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kleinkid
Fourth Gear

'91 SS with KYB AGX--parts list

Post by kleinkid »

Completed OEM strut and spring changeout and installed AGX's with Whiteline "Control" springs. The rear strut top mounts, rear spring seats(perch) and the rear upper rubber seats needed to be replaced for the conversion, the other rubber parts were replaced because they were damaged. KYB AGX struts 734006(RF),734007(LF), 733010(RR), 733011(LR), www.performancepartsstore.com, $374.99. Whiteline Control springs, 70198(F), 70369(R), www.pdm-racing.com, $240.00. STi group N rear strut top mounts, ST20370AA240, www.rallispec.com, $110/pr. The following parts were sourced from www.subarugenuineparts.com,(thanks Jamie)--Rear spring seat(perch), 20373AA200, $36.64/pr. Rear upper rubber seat, 20375AA030, $19.86/pr. Rear lower rubber seat, 20375AA002, $14.88/pr. Rear helper(rubber bump stop), 20371AA041, $33.80/pr. STi group N front strut top mounts, ST2031055000, $113/pr. The old springs and probably the struts were the original OE, and the struts were very worn out, 178,000 mi. As a result of the new parts, the car is 3/4" lower, feels and handles way better, and I am very happy!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Good deal.

That's what I have....and it's a very nice handling car.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

The guys at Rocket Rally advised me against getting the whiteline springs, they recommended H&R, Eibach, Prodrive or STi
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

Prodrive are probably the best if you don't want a seriously low drop, but whiteline are the only ones that have wagon specific springs, so I'll probably go with them when the time comes.
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
www.sl-i.net (for all Legacys!)
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Everyone has their opinion about springs. Rocket Rally has theirs. Why do they have this opinion, who knows? I used the Whiteline Control springs and lowered 3/4". They do have their Flatout line for some applications, which lowers more than their Control line. 3/4" is well within KYB's tolerance for lowering. I am satisfied with the results and don't expect any problems. H&R, Prodrive, etc. would have been fine probably, also. There are many others who have this combination(AGX/Whiteline) and like it. Cost and personal preference always play a subjective and or objective role in ones buying decisions. As long as you don't get to radical in your decisions, whatever product you choose will work out OK, most likely.
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

Yea the guy didnt go into detail, he just said that he was 'disappointed' by whiteline springs, although he does like their swaybars and bushings
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

He probably thought it didn't lower enough :smt042
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

wiscon_mark wrote:He probably thought it didn't lower enough :smt042
THey run rally cars, I dont think they want them lowered
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

it was a joke but...yeah, I don't suppose so.
185,000 miles
Dr.Outback
First Gear

Post by Dr.Outback »

Why did you have to replace the rear strut mounts, spring seat, and the upper seat? I didn't when I put my AGX's in. Was it because yours is a 2.2 NA?
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

I have a '91 Sport Sedan, 5MT, which, of course has the turbo. The 91's have the more tapered top rear springs. The makers of aftermarket springs of that type is limited. I converted to be able to have more choices. I did chose Whiteline springs though, and they also make a spring for the '91 model year. In the future if I want something else I now have more options available.
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Clarification - he had to mess with the mounts because he changed the springs - not because he put AGX in.

I've put AGX on stock springs in a variety of different types of BC BF, and never had to change anything else like top hats or perches or anything.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
Dr.Outback
First Gear

Post by Dr.Outback »

rallysam wrote:Clarification - he had to mess with the mounts because he changed the springs - not because he put AGX in.

I've put AGX on stock springs in a variety of different types of BC BF, and never had to change anything else like top hats or perches or anything.
Oh...I didn't know that the '91 SS came with the tapered spring. The reason why I asked if it was NA, was because the Whiteline PN's he used fit a newer SS without changing the mounts etc., but an NA would need to be converted.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

That is correct. It was because I did not want to use the '91 style springs that required the other parts. Other than that, I did want to use the STI Group N top mount. It took a lot of searching, research and study to figure out what parts I needed. The compendium of information is a start, but it does not provide crystal clear information that some of us feel we need.
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

So, in the spirit of providing some clear information:
Do the STi Group N top mounts require the specific rear spring seat(perch) and/or rear upper rubber seat that you installed?
90 L+ wgn
A_DuB
First Gear

Post by A_DuB »

It depends on the year. I think I heard that the 05-06 are tapered like ours springs are.
91 Rio Red SS 5MT 4WD
87 Ford Broco V8 5.8Ltr
96 Hyundai Accent Hatchback
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

How about the ones for Impreza MY93-01?
90 L+ wgn
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

You are asking me to remember something from a whole four months ago! Just kidding. I have to think about this. I threw away the old parts so can't go look at them. Am pretty sure of this info though. The original equipment rear top mount and and upper spring seats are integral(good word, huh) to each other. That is to say, the top mount and upper seat are one unit (attatched). That is why I used the parts as I listed for the conversion. For the conversion, the top mount is one piece and the upper strut mount(perch) is a separate piece. The top of the Whiteline Control spring is a larger diameter than the '91 OEM spring which required the upper rubber seat as listed, and the upper rubbber seat then nested into the upper spring seat properly. Does that help?
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Yes, that does help.
That makes sense according to the suspension diagram, I didn't realize the upper seats and rear top mounts were integral.
Thanks kleinkid!
90 L+ wgn
chochocho
Second Gear

Post by chochocho »

sorry to bring this back from the dead. is the part number for the sti group n rear top hats for a 93-01 impreza? the whiteline control springs you got was not for the 91 specific models?

crap, i got the 93-01 sti group n rear top hats and 91 specific rear legacy springs....

thanks in advance.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Yes, you are correct. I converted and used parts to gain more options in the springs available to use. The Whiteline springs I used are not for the '91 legacy.