Rev Limiter

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Rev Limiter

Post by LegacyT »

What is the rev limiter set to on our cars. I've passed 6500 a few times but nothing happend, is time sensitive? I hear our engines are good for ~7500 RPM. My loyal field car has been up to 8500 rpm many, many times on the dirt trails :D. Is there any way to bypass the rev limiter.

Thanks,
Mark
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

On mine.....I've bounced off the rev limiter once or twice. It was 6500.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I've hit 7000, but it felt like the car was running out of breath. I think 6000 is a good shift point when the NA power peak is 5600. Redline shifting really isn't necessary...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

What about on a turbo 2.2 with say a larger turbo? Would shifting higher help? Why do the STi's Redline at 8000?

Thanks,
Mark
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

LegacyT wrote:Why do the STi's Redline at 8000?

Thanks,
Mark
Prolly mostly due to AVCS. That way they can play with cam timing to get more breath. And they're DOHC, so there's less reciprocating mass to worry about.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

I have run 1/4 mile runs at Bandimere Speedway in Denver several times with a n/a engine at 8500 rpm, the power seemed to fall off at about 7300 but this was with a '95 Legacy motor in a '87 Loyale with the original fuel pump. We also ran a ej22t in a '93 impreza with fmic - Garrett turbo + more at 13 sec times and found later it was running out of fuel a;so on the high end and with more fuel it would have done better. The EJ 22t valves will be held open by high boost at about 7500rpm but it pulls well up to that point. You want more revs so that when you shift you are above the peak power point and when the shift is made you fall back just at the bottom of the peak power. There were some ECU's in the turbo Legacy with different rev limits there is no way to pick them out without trying them unfortunatly. If you would like to have the rev limiter removed and the mixture richened up you can always send it to me and for $250.00 It will be done.
AL(CO)
www.torquechip.com
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Hey, in the ECU what is the empty socket for?
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

It is for external RAM that could be programmed into it but the IC itself was made by a company called Fujitsu and hasn't been available for almost ten years and was a specialized IC so nothing else will work.
I forgot the $250 includes a control for adding a percentage of fuel relative to boost. I could do boost but you would be better off using a good mbc.
AL(CO)
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Cobb is going to offer services like this in the near future, but for the time being, Al is the one with the most experience at this sort of tweaking :D

Mine peaks at 6700, and i have my MSD set at 6750. It pulls pretty hard all the way till that point.

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

yeah.....I've read cobb's post on their forum. Seems pretty cool......assuming they can pull it off.

This is from Trey Cobb about the ECU thing.

Hey all, hope everything is going good there in Texas!

In regards to our ECU project, we have been able to develop a technique that allows us to pull all the rom data off the Subaru ECUs. From there, we have to perform the long and tedious task of sifting through lines of code and hex data. Fortunately, we've been making much quicker progress than we anticipated so we hope to bring it to market very soon.

We are working on the 2.5L model ECUs as well. From what I've seen thus far, reprogramming it to see boost and properly control larger injectors shouldn't be too much of a problem. We'll just need to source the proper MAP sensor for the 2000+ models if you plan on running higher boost levels. However, due to hardware limitations of the ECU board design, I don't think we'll be able to do on-board boost control. We are looking into designing an external device that will if the demand warrants it.

I'd prefer to keep all technical discussion limited to our board so I'll be posting more information in regards to LiquidIQ's comments about the SAFC/EBC vs reprogrammed ECU capabilities as it seems to be a source of interest for many of you.

As someone already posted, you can find that topic with this link: http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimat ... 3;t=001346

See ya,
Trey Cobb.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

If they can pull it off may be the word for it but if they do I would venture a guess that the price might be around the "rumored" price of the complete MRT setup of $1700.00.
I didn't spend that much on my car! 95 Impreza w\ EJ22t
TurboLegacy
First Gear

Post by TurboLegacy »

i hit the rev limiter yesterday while racing, it went to 6500 and wouldnt go any further.
92 legacy turbo 5spd fwd-12 psi, tm intercooler bov, walbro 255.

81 chevy malibu- 400 sb, holley 600, edelbrock rpm, hooker headers, lunati voodoo cam,4spd muncie, 3:73 posi,monte c. swivel buckets, corvette rally wheels
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

LegacyT wrote:What about on a turbo 2.2 with say a larger turbo? Would shifting higher help? Why do the STi's Redline at 8000?

Thanks,
Mark
Believe me, I had power all the way up to 6500. Increased boost takes up the slack for the piss power cam profiles and head flow.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

my legacy cuts out a 7500rpm i pulled that rpm in every gear
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

Hey Al, doing that ECU tweek, how does it affect emissions? Sapposing I were to get it done, would it affect the emissions levels at idle or 2500 rpms? I'm assuming that when you mention adjusting the fuel mixture it is for hte upper rpm range, right?

-Ryan
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

ej257's (usdm sti's) redline at 7k rpm.
sti ej20's redline at 8k. a 2.0 will usually have an easier time achieving higher revs than a 2.2 or 2.5 all things being equal that is. this is not always the case but in stock factory tune this seems to be the case.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The smaller pistons have less momentum to control.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Gurfus
In Neutral

Post by Gurfus »

mile hi wrote:I have run 1/4 mile runs at Bandimere Speedway in Denver several times with a n/a engine at 8500 rpm, the power seemed to fall off at about 7300 but this was with a '95 Legacy motor in a '87 Loyale with the original fuel pump.
A bit off topic here perhaps, but how did you guys install that engine in the Loyale <--(wtf kind of subaru is that??)?
I'm thinking of replacing my EA82 engine with a 2.2L engine from the first series Legacy!
Did you replace the gearbox as well, or did the new engine fit onto the old gearbox?
Side by side, 4wd!
-89 Subaru L18 Coupé GL.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I believe our loyale is your leone, but don't quote me on that.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Gurfus
In Neutral

Post by Gurfus »

THAWA wrote:I believe our loyale is your leone, but don't quote me on that.
aha! :idea: i see... didn't know they had a different name on the Leone "over there". :-)
Side by side, 4wd!
-89 Subaru L18 Coupé GL.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Before that it was just called DL or GL.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.