cleaning?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

cleaning?

Post by bmxkelowna »

hey guys, i was just woundering what would be the best way to give my engine/engine bay a bath?
as you can see its pretty dirty :(

would i be able to just run a hose over it or is there any thing that should not get wet?
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Power wash works quite nicely. Just don't spray the water at things like the battery or spark plugs (wires or coil). It's okay if they get wet, just don't force water down them.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

And get rid of that horrid hot air intake!
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah....spray it down with water, then spray degreaser on it, let it sit for a minute or so, and then power wash that sucker. Hot water also helps.

You'll need to seal off that intake or something....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

the only real way to clean something like that is STEAM clean.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
napphappy
Second Gear

Post by napphappy »

SuperClean works very well. Just watch out on polished aluminum.
Also when you get done and its dry, spray everything down with spray silicone. It makes everything shiny and helps preserve rubber.
1997 White BG Ltd 5MT, EJ22T with Wiescos, EJ20R Heads, Two large dents R.I.P
1995 Impreza EJ22T DOHC Hydra EMS, 20g, EWG, 3in APS TBE, AWIC
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Bheinen74 wrote:the only real way to clean something like that is STEAM clean.
That's not true. Heated pressurized water with degreaser works fine.

You don't really want to use steam as it will cause the rubber hoses and what not to become brittle prematurely.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

napphappy wrote: spray everything down with spray silicone. It makes everything shiny and helps preserve rubber.
On the contrary, although silicone spray will make everythig shiny, it will not preserve the rubber. The silicone will actually pull out the agents that keep the rubber flexable. This will make the rubber breakdown and deteriorate quicker than normal. Its far better to use a water based vinyl or rubber care product.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Legacy777 wrote:You don't really want to use steam as it will cause the rubber hoses and what not to become brittle prematurely.
Very true. Do NOT steam clean.

I suggest covering things like the coilpack, fuel injectors, battery, alternator, and any other obvious electrical instruments with plastic bags before you hose the whole engine down. You can clean those separantly with Armor-All.

This comes from someone who washed down his engine and then had 6 CEL codes when he started the car back up :shock:
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

When I said steam clean, that means heated water with degreaser cleaner.

The heated water is hot yes, but not any hotter than what the engine runs when going down the road. It will definitely not harm anything.

It is best to pressure wash the engine when it is at full engine operating temp. This will sort of make the water evaporate from the electrical areas faster. Also, it is better to run the engine immediately following, until it is warm and evaporates all the water off completely, and burns off any moisture in the deep hidden areas and hollow spots.

Never spray silicone, or for that fact much else on the engine, as that stuff attracts dirt and will only make the engine dirty faster.

You have to be careful around all the electrical stuff, connectors, alternator, battery, coil pack. Go over that stuff really quick and don't soak that stuff down at all.
91crx si 165k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
waldo320
Second Gear

Post by waldo320 »

OK OK seriously Brake cleaner a rag and time cleans everything
schspeedster
First Gear

Post by schspeedster »

waldo320 wrote:OK OK seriously Brake cleaner a rag and time cleans everything
"Non-chlorinated Brake Parts Cleaner (low VOC formula)

How to Use

Using the "spray anywhere" nozzle, spray directly on brake parts and allow to dry or wipe and clean. Do not spray on automotive finish. May be harmful to plastics. Protect rubber parts from overspray. "

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products ... ection=401
schspeedster
First Gear

Post by schspeedster »

Driving a Chevy Astro or other van with the doghouse (engine cover) off demonstrates how much heat and airflow goes thru an engine compartment. Can feel the heat coming off the motor right after hard acceleration. Must be pretty hellish sitting behind a WRC or NASCAR motor in competition. I would go for a high speed drive right after spraying water on the engine to dry things off.
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

so have it running, rinse it off, put a cleaner on it, let it sit, power wash it, then take it for a drive to dry it off?
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

No, Do not have the car running when you are washing it off with water, that will cause all kinds electrical problems.
91crx si 165k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Be careful with the knock sensor. Who ever said to run the motor to operating temp and then spray it down. Knock sensors tend to fail when they are hot and then get real wet, regardless of the fluid temp.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

yeah I would not recommend the engine be to hot when cleaning especialy if you're cleaning with cold water. If you have hot water (car wash) then the engine can be warm (not running).
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Do it in your own driveway - not at a car wash - in case the car won't start afterwords. We get a lot of threads where people wash their engine and it doesn't run right or won't start until it dries out.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com