a good cure for mold?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

thehookeup
Third Gear

a good cure for mold?

Post by thehookeup »

does anyone know of a good cure for mold. while my motor has been out of the car, and the car has been sitting in my driveway, the sunroof leaked. so of course i had no need to get into the car. now my carpet, my headliner, front seats, steering wheel, back seat ( bottom and top) and my trunk liner too. they have all be attacked by mold.

now i pulled my sunroof out of the car, because i checked all the draines and they didnt seem to be clogged so i know one of the two seals are bad on the sunroof.

i would be posting this in the interior forum but no one every replys to anything on there, so the last resort is here. anyway. magic remedies and what not are always accepted, thanx guys
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

Bleach takes care of mold.

The sunroof? You gotta take apart.
jnorion
Third Gear

Post by jnorion »

I had a little mold in my car when I bought it from the roof leaking. I went to Napa and bought some carpet cleaner designed to deal with mold and pet smells. I scrubbed the hell out of the front of the car with it twice the first day I had it. Then I left it overnight with the windows and roof cracked open (I'm lucky, I live in a very safe well-lit apartment complex and have a carport). The next day I scrubbed it again. It took about 36 hours to dry out and most of the mold was gone. Then I bought some Ozium air freshener, which basically smells like nothing after it settles into the car, and I sprayed that all over it and then let it sit for another night with the windows cracked. The next day I ate spicy Thai food in it, and the mold smell was gone. ;)

I still have to leave the windows cracked at night after a day of hard rain when the roof leaks, to give it a chance to dry out. But I haven't had any mold since then.
~Joel
1991 Legacy LSi sedan | 1990 Legacy L wagon
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Bleach is one of the only things that will kill ALL of the mold and eliminate all of the odor. But it also takes out the color in fabric. Soyou are kind of hosed in that way. I suggest the post above mine, then sadly, the bleach route.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
A_DuB
First Gear

Post by A_DuB »

Some one told me to use tea tree oil. Still haven't been able to get out there and try it.
91 Rio Red SS 5MT 4WD
87 Ford Broco V8 5.8Ltr
96 Hyundai Accent Hatchback
napphappy
Second Gear

Post by napphappy »

Vinegar works also. I used it, the smell eventually goes away.
1997 White BG Ltd 5MT, EJ22T with Wiescos, EJ20R Heads, Two large dents R.I.P
1995 Impreza EJ22T DOHC Hydra EMS, 20g, EWG, 3in APS TBE, AWIC
0perose
Third Gear

Post by 0perose »

A_DuB wrote:Some one told me to use tea tree oil. Still haven't been able to get out there and try it.
tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic... is that what gets rid of mold? don't know.
yo mang, can I get a rootshell?

1991 N/A, 4eat, crazy lights, junk suspension, sticker wagon
1989 xt6 work in progress
A_DuB
First Gear

Post by A_DuB »

the guy that told me to use tea tree oil was from ford forum, and I still haven't tried it but he said it worked for him. He said to dilute it with water but never said how much.
91 Rio Red SS 5MT 4WD
87 Ford Broco V8 5.8Ltr
96 Hyundai Accent Hatchback
jnorion
Third Gear

Post by jnorion »

Tea tree oil won't hurt anything even if you use it straight... it's just a matter of how long you want to smell it in your car once you're done. How much you dilute it shouldn't be a big deal.
~Joel
1991 Legacy LSi sedan | 1990 Legacy L wagon
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

tea tree should work, but I WOULD dilute it.

febreese should help get the smell out
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

if the cheese has mold on it, cut it off and throw in trash.
sorry I am of no help.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

You could rent a carpet cleaner from the grocery store and instead of using the carpet cleaning solution, use a diluted vinegar mixture or a diluted tea tree mixture.
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]