Help w/ removing rear view mirror

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

tonflo
First Gear

Help w/ removing rear view mirror

Post by tonflo »

I am in the process of pulling out the headliner to fix the moonroof leak. I can't figure out how to get the grey plastic cover off the rear view mirror base to remove it. Please help. Also, in the driver's side a-pillar there is a single black wire that I think I pulled out of a harness or connector. Possibly to the lighted visor mirror as it's not working. Any ideas what it goes to? The end looks like a clean cut like maybe it's supposed to be that way. Alarm antenna wire maybe? (dealer installed Subaru alrm in car). Thank you.
'94 Legacy Touring wagon. Quicksilver metallic. WRX rims, Whiteline ALK, SS brakelines, GR2s, alum. coolant tank. Gone, but not forgotten

'99 NSX, Alex Zanardi edition, #11/50. All stock & red 2 go

'05 Corolla XRS
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Post by subawhatsubawho »

That little plastic piece can be a beeotch but all you have to do is stick a screw driver between the plate and cover and pull. IT will pop off and it shouldn't be damaged. I did it to mine and it went fine.

If you removed the visor you would have noticed there is a harness attached to it. So chances are you did unplug the visor.
1991 Legacy BJ L 5MT AWD 189K Paid $100 STOLEN 2/13/06
tonflo
First Gear

Post by tonflo »

The visor connector is 2 wires on each side. I don't think the mystery wire went to the driver's connector, but I don't know since when the a-pillar trim finaly popped off with monster truck force, the wire was just hanging there.

Special F.U. to Subaru for using the cheapest possible caulk-like substance for the moonroof rails.
'94 Legacy Touring wagon. Quicksilver metallic. WRX rims, Whiteline ALK, SS brakelines, GR2s, alum. coolant tank. Gone, but not forgotten

'05 Corolla XRS
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Post by subawhatsubawho »

Take yourself a philips head screwdriver and remove the visor..does it come out with the harness still attached? Did you have to remove the harness to get the visor out of the vehicle.

If you really want to know what it goes to then follow it to the source and then to the other end.

Are there signs of an aftermarket alarm? Got an Ohm meter? Know how to use it? Here is your chance. Is it a ground? Is it positive? Is it connected to anything at all?

You have the pillar cover off....nows the time to do some good detective work. Most of us on this board have had our legacys apart in more ways then one and had to learn about things on our own without the help of this board or a manual.

Be a leader....not a follower. Tell ME what that wire does.

(I should be an inspirational speaker)
1991 Legacy BJ L 5MT AWD 189K Paid $100 STOLEN 2/13/06
tonflo
First Gear

mystery wire

Post by tonflo »

No idea what mystery wire goes to. As I said, the free end (up above your head in corner of a-pillar) looked cut, not torn. Turns out visor light wasn't working due to both wires being cracked off inside the visor. Had to splice in some short pieces. FYI- the power is constant downstream of the white plastic connector & ground is switched by the little pop up switch in the mirror frame. Power switches from red to black wire downstream of connector.

'05 Corolla XRS
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

LIGHTED VISOR MIRRORS? WHO THE FUCK GOT THESE????!!!?!?!?!!1111
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
tonflo
First Gear

Post by tonflo »

Laurel, they were reserved for special customers. It's secret. Shhhh!!! :razz:

'05 Corolla XRS
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

I want some!!!
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
A_DuB
First Gear

Post by A_DuB »

tonflo wrote: black mystery wire
I have found a black mystery wire too but it is not at all where tonflo said his was. Mine is on the the passenger side near the back seat. It has a little connector on it too, but I don't know what it sappose to go to.
91 Rio Red SS 5MT 4WD
87 Ford Broco V8 5.8Ltr
96 Hyundai Accent Hatchback