so... more electrical problems

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

corsair
Third Gear

so... more electrical problems

Post by corsair »

1) Park-brake interlock is gone (AT). Normally when I'd depress the brake pedal while in park I could shift out of it, now I need to hit the shift lock button.

2) Cruise control stalk is non-functional. Cruise button on dash seems to work as when I depress it I hear the cruise solenoid click on, but nothing comes from the steering wheel controls.

3) AC/Heater fan has stopped working. I think it kinda works because when I turned it on defrost it defrosted the windshield, but there was no airflow, when I turned it on "Vent" I felt nothing, same was true with "Heat."

I checked every fuse I could think of, there are a couple of plugs under the dash I've noticed to be unplugged, but they've been like that, I once knew their purpose but have since forgotten. (one set of green plugs, one of black, neither are the diagnostic port)

I don't think they're related (the plugs that is). These problems just set in yesterday, I took the car out in the evening and I tried to set cruise on the highway and it didn't work, later when I tried to adjust the heat it didn't work, and I noticed the Park-Brake interlock problem on Friday.
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
A_DuB
First Gear

Re: so... more electrical problems

Post by A_DuB »

Those plugs are to pull the CEL (check engine light) codes, and the definitely don't have to do with your problems.
corsair wrote:Park-brake interlock is gone (AT). Normally when I'd depress the brake pedal while in park I could shift out of it, now I need to hit the shift lock button.
As for the fucked up parking break problem you describe, that defiantly doesn't sound like it was safe before and now I think you are much better off.

As for the heater problem its common. Do a search and quit posting and reading everything in the ashtray. Take some time an actually look around this site for once and maybe ya might learn something.

Ditto for the Cruise control.
91 Rio Red SS 5MT 4WD
87 Ford Broco V8 5.8Ltr
96 Hyundai Accent Hatchback
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

Wow, thanks, you answered all my problems.

Since you did a real good job reading my post I'll just forget you decided to take a real nice tone with me.

Park-brake interlock (AT)... AT meaning AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION meaning I should have to press the brake pedal to shift out of park. That isn't working, god damn read the post before you flame me.

The heater, cruise, and (I just noticed) horn went out at the same time. The heater not just some intermittant thing like what's stickied in the Body Chassis and Interior forum or what you'd find if you searched, which I did.

The cruise not working could be because of the same cause as the park-brake interlock or some sensor that detects the brake pedal's use, although I'd assume that's the same switch as the brake lights, which seem to be working just fine. I'm wondering, since I don't know everything about these cars but I'm trying to learn more, if perhaps they're all related and I don't know why.

Tell you what, A_DuB, find a thread that fixes my problem and I'll consider mailing you a check becuase you're right, until then you're just being a jackass with this "do a seach and quit posting" bull.
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Corsair, I don't know a lot about electronics, but I think from what you describe, that since those things all went at the same time, they must all be related. Perhaps a fuse..perhaps there's a junction they all share? I'd try to narrow it down from there. Maybe you've got grounds that need cleaned up a little bit? vrg3 most likely knows more than I do.

A_Dub, corsair's been here a year longer than you have, I think he knows the ropes by now.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

thanks for the backup there Manarius, this is exactly why I asked, it doesn't seem like 4 seperate issues would just happen at once

I checked the fuses and none of the obvious ones were cooked

I don't really care for any hostility, just some ideas or solutions.
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Why are you being such a jerk, A_DuB? Knock it off, please.

Sam, your family's owned this car since it was new, right? Cuz all this stuff going on almost makes me wonder if the car was once flooded or something.

Are you sure you're not talking about the diagnostic connectors? Cuz it really does sound like them. These are separate from the Select Monitor port.

Does the fan work on speed setting 4, by any chance?

Do the brake lights still work correctly? Cuz the AT interlock and cruise control both use the brake pedal switch, so maybe something's wrong with that.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

yeah we've owned it forever, the connectors are totally irrelevent, like I just kinda pondered it randomly

you hit the nail on the head though Vikash, tonight I noticed the brake lights were not working, which, like you said, would cause the park-brake interlock and cruise control to not work, so I think I need a new switch on the pedal

as for the climate controls, nothing works, the fan does not change from 1-4, it's pretty much off

I do feel some warm air coming from the defroster vents though. That could mean the little door things that control the airflow are locked on defrost and the fan is totally kaput, right?
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Sounds to me like the thing that shifts which vent the air comes out is frozen. Because if the defrost were stuck on, the AC would run continously. So, that's an easy fix compared to a stuck A/C system.

Here's a question: (Do this in the dark) Turn on lights. Turn off any air movement. Press the slider to 4 and press heat. Does the car's interior lighting drop at all in voltage for a slight moment? (My car does this slight drop when I turn the heat on full blast). This could tell you whether electricity is actually getting to the fan. If there isn't any draw, perhaps there's a busted connection somewhere as opposed to a broken fan.
(Maybe I'm full of crap on this one)
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You may need a new brake switch or it may be that the connector is loose. Try unplugging it and seating it again first. It also may just need adjustment; I think it has a threaded adjuster or something.

If both the fan and the door are being unresponsive, I have to wonder if the electrical connector to the HVAC box is loose.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

have you checked all the fuses including the ones under the hood? sounds like a bunch of stuff on one circuit was lost.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

Fusible links? Wild guess, I dunno.
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Hm, so apparently the fan control and the door control have separate connectors.

But check another thing for me -- there's a grounding point at the lower right corner of the center console, kind of to the right of the airbag computer that sits under the ashtray. I think you have to remove the shifter trim to see it. Is it in good shape? Is there any chance you undid it when doing your stereo install? Because it's used by both the fan control and the door control.

It is also involved in some gauges, cruise, the side mirrors, and the rear defroster.
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

ok I messed around more this morning, the door control is working, at least I'm assuming it is, I do hear it change when I go from stuff now

I don't notice any current drop when I turn the fan on from 1 to 4 or anything. So I'm assuming my fan is gone.

Brake sensor is hooked up, switch is probably dead.

Any idea why my horn isn't working?
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yes, the blower motor could be gone, but it could be the blower motor's relay.

Does cruise work? The cruise control switch on the steering column actually uses the horn's power supply to operate.

Huh. And the fuse that protects that supply also protects the brake lights.

Huh!

Double-check fuse #12. It's a 20A fuse. Try replacing it even if it looks good.
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

so anyway I just wanted to clear it up

when I had more time I took off the trim panel and looked around more under the dash, I found some really shoddy looking wiring that had been corroded

I decided to let the "pros" handle it and took it to a shop, they replaced the wiring and all is well now.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Great! That's weird that you had corroded wiring under the dash though.