IC in front bumper? possible? good? bad?

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

carguy327
In Neutral

IC in front bumper? possible? good? bad?

Post by carguy327 »

As the subject states, is it possible to put a BIG intecooler in the bumper?
Obviously routing issues are there, but has anyone done it?

Hmm ..custom exhaust manifold....I'm gonna like this car.

G
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

Yes, it has been done. I think you will have to modify the bumper, and the piping for a WRX fmic can be modifided to work. I have seen some pics on here try a search. And go over to the rsliberty web site, and do a search.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

piping example
Black FMIC, you will see the blue hoses on the sides, (the car closest to the camera)
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

"Aussies get the best RS's"

Hows that?
Invisible Throw
In Neutral

Post by Invisible Throw »

RSSTiBoy: got any more pics of the install?
John
'92 Legacy GT Wagon, BF5 (JDM)
Invisible Throw
In Neutral

Post by Invisible Throw »

I dig the over flow bottle :lol:
John
'92 Legacy GT Wagon, BF5 (JDM)
LegacyPunk
Second Gear

Post by LegacyPunk »

Sooo many turbos :shock: :twisted:
:twisted::cool::twisted: "Plenty of time, to ruin my life, so why start now?" The Movie Life
1993 Sports Sedan, Exhaust, MBC, 02 WRX IC, KYB GR-2s...Now with old back seat!
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

ciper wrote:"Aussies get the best RS's"

Hows that?
actually it should be Aussies and Japanese, both versions have quad cam intercooled motors, and do sub 15sec 1/4 miles standard.
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

But they are 2.0 liters. Why is it all the RS/GT and even WRX owners want the US legacy turbo block and not the Australian version?!
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

because our 2.2ltr is a opened deck version and we stick on wrx heads on your block to make a weapon, if i was going that way I would just get a stroker kit for my block, you will find that the liberty and pre '96 wrx owners won't be chasing your block because theirs is already closed decked and simply have to put a stroker kit in and change the pistons.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

"way I would just get a stroker kit for my block"

A stroker kit! Have you looked at the prices for the strokers?! Good luck. To match the 2.2 you would have to increase the bore of your block. Check the pricing on bore and sleave of a subaru block plus the cost of pistons.

Your argument is still weak. The US turbo legacy has more potential.
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

*getting some popcorn for this*

ROUND 2!! GO!! lol!
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I dunno...

Stock, the Aussies got a better Legacy Turbo.

When you want to start doing modifications, the comparison becomes unclear. One could, for example, take the EJ22G short block and the EJ20G heads, and ... uh ... which continent would that be from, anyway?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

The lowest cost strokers I have found are in the 4000$ + US range.
Bore and Sleeve of a subaru is about 1200

Now you could try to get the USDM STI crank and rods to make a custom stroker but these are still an unknown (reliability and fitment).
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

boostjunkie wrote:*getting some popcorn for this*

ROUND 2!! GO!! lol!
Bwahaha! Ding, ding.

:D
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

still doesn't matter if its 2 litres or 2.2ltrs, the turbo makes up for it, however the more capacity the greater the torque, and you don't have to bore anything out to fit a 2.2 or 2.4 stroker.......
plus even the worlds fastest AWD is a 2ltr...... http://www.fullboost.com.au/racing/reco ... l_4wd.html
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Only because the US only had the turbo for a very low production and didnt get ANY 2 liter engines until 2002. If we had the 2.2 turbo this whole time I guarantee the worlds fastest would NOT be a 2 liter.

"you don't have to bore anything out to fit a 2.2 or 2.4 stroker"
True but it would be oversquare like our engine already are. You increase the stroke so much and problems with high RPM start to be an issue.

Besides, it still ends up costing major money for these strokers. The HP for the $ is very low.

Ive driven in enough stock through medium level modified 2 liters and the displacement lost is really noticable. Its unfortunate that you have never ridden in a 2.5rs or 2.5gt turbo. Even at 5psi they will spank any midly modified WRX.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

But the higher compression on a turboed N/A counters turbo lag and also... Oh wait, you're defending America. Please continue...

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

how come you guys always think your under attack? just because we got 1 version of a car that in stock form is a better package, you guys make the best V8 engines in the world.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

America is always under attack! We must be ever vigilant to protect ourselves from the rest of the evil world! Australia is a known terrorist hotbed with the Al-Kuala terrorist group, and oh yeah, there's Cobra, too! :lol:

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

The world'd fastest 4 cyl 4wd is a 2 liter, but it's definitely not a WRX! That list is dead wrong, hell I know of more than one DSM running A LOT faster than 9.1!!
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

you guys make the best V8 engines in the world.
:P
now that's something to be proud of.
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

I think we also make the best V6 enignes in the world... (Grand National/Syclone/Turbo Trans Am) :D
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I think made the best V6, then, would apply. Bastards at GM want to excite people forget the Holden GTO - build a new GN.

Steve
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

I completely agree but that will never happen again unfortunately, stupid ass GM is busy on plastic cladded garbage and whatnot at the moment :evil:
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold