My Auto shifter is getting stiff...is the cable expensive?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

goodtohave
In Neutral

My Auto shifter is getting stiff...is the cable expensive?

Post by goodtohave »

I had it greased up last year and it helped but it is getting sticky again. Is this a common problem for a 92 Turbo?
Will
In Neutral

no reply? stiff auto shifter

Post by Will »

I am surprised that nobody responded to this msg on June 26. I wish I could help but I am still getting to know my '94 Wagon.

What ended up happening with your stiff auto shifter?
Did you figure the price on the cable? It should be for sale on www.subaruparts.com

If you know anything about a transmission filter then lookout for my upcoming post/

WILL>
1994 Legacy Turbo Wagon 4EAT

Some pics at: [url]http://www.higgerty.com/subaru/[/url]
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Isn't the shifter connected via linkage NOT a cable?

Mike
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Ogre
In Neutral

Post by Ogre »

I'd like some information as well.
I'm driving my auto tranny Legacy around with the plastic shifter console off of it and the handle removed. I'm using an aligator clip to connect the wires that lead to the button to select Auto or Manual (turning on the little "manual" light on the dash.
I have to push the black button to before I can shift out of Part as well. All this is annoying, and looks like the car is stollen or something, but it's running. (Fast too, I might add. I've smoked several ricers with coffee can tail pipes in my old 92 4 door)
The only real problem that I have is that if I remove the aligator clip, the car doesn't go out of 1st. With the clip on and the dash indicating that the car is in "Manual" mode, it shifts fine, but wont go into the top gear until I am almost 50 mph. These plays hell on my fuel economy around town. Now that gas is at 2 bucks a gallon, this is a concern.
This happened when the gear position indicator on the dash stopped matching up to what gear the car was actually selected to be in. Now that indication has "dropped off" completely and this is where my problems started.
Or didn't start, because with out the dash showing P or N, the car wouldn't start. So to override that, I had to install a remote start button. So now I can turn the key to RUN and hit the button and crank the car up and take off.
Looking at the mechanisms involved, I have a strong desire to slap the Subaru engineers that made it this way... I've not seen mechanisms this convoluted since AMC.
www.madogre.com
1992 Legacy L AWD
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

What do you mean? Its simple. A lever with a connection to a selection switch, how is it so difficult?

Adjusting it is pretty simple too. Instead of driving it around broken why not just climb underneath and fix it? If you need help to align it ask. There is one selection where the holes on the switch line up with the bracket, but I dont remember at the moment.

The first time I adjusted it I didnt even have the service manuals. The shop i had install a replacement transmission didnt adjust it properly, if I pushed the shifter while in park it would actually go past park!