One of four rotors is rusty

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

I supose it is possible that an accident resulted in a bent hub assembly, or a bent bracket. It is also possible that your top slider pin is bent, but I would think the bottom pin would thread in only with difficulty if that were the case.

I'd try swapping the bracket for the 5 minute solution, a hit to the wheel could easily bend that and it would be very hard to see. Still I would think application of the brakes would force the pads into contact, you can actually wiggle the caliper and bracket a bit by hand, its not really that stiff, its the pressure that holds things square more than any precise alignment.
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
jmaziarz
First Gear

Post by jmaziarz »

I took pictures of my old and new rear rotors for comparison. Larger versions of each of these pictures can be found here.

Side-by-side comparison of the old rear rotors. Notice the outboard side of the one on the left (this is the problem I have been trying to fix):

New rear-left rotor (again, this is the problem I mentioned about the new pads only touching the new rotor ~50%):

New rear-right rotor (looks fine):

1993 Legacy L Sedan (25th Anniversary)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you've replaced the calipers, and still get the same results, you probably have a bent backing plate.

I'd suspect that over the spindle, because if the whole spindle was bent the rotor would probably be skewed the same amount as the backing plate.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
jmaziarz
First Gear

Post by jmaziarz »

Legacy777 wrote:If you've replaced the calipers, and still get the same results, you probably have a bent backing plate.
Due in part to the cold and the mounting frustration I have with my ability (more like inability) to fix this car I have left it alone for the past few months.

It is interesting you mention the backing plate because while I was replacing the rotor I noticed that the backing plate was severely corroded. I tried using a wire brush to clean off some of the built up rust and huge bits flaked right off. In some areas, it is completely cracked or there is a developing hole from my handy brush work.

I have since brought the car to my local dealer and also a certified Subaru mechanic "friend". Neither found anything out of the ordinary (not shocking) but charged $50 for their time. :(
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You might want to see about picking up a used rear hub at a junkyard and see if that fixes the problem.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
jmaziarz
First Gear

Problem solved

Post by jmaziarz »

Problem solved.

I replaced the bracket that holds the pads and the entire surface of the pad now makes contact with the rotor. Ordered a new set of pads and will resurface the rotors.

Thanks everyone for your input and Blackbart for the bracket! :)