#2 misfire 98 obw

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

MilesFox
In Neutral

#2 misfire 98 obw

Post by MilesFox »

here is a post on usmb from a guy whos subaru i looked at, how would you go about the self check ode, and does the problem described occur often?

I have a 98 Legacy Outback with a 2.5L engine and about 167,000 miles. A month ago the check engine light came on for the first time (ever) and I noticed that it was starting to run rough and the mileage wasn't so great. I first had a CarX mechanic check it out and he hooked it up to the computer and diagnosed the problem as "multiple misfire in cylinder #2". The plugs were only two months old, so I replaced the wires at this mechanic's suggestion and the problem did not go away. So I brought it back and his second suggestion was to replace the ECM. Knowing that this was a pricey fix I took it to the local Subaru dealer (Sommer's) and had them diagnose the problem. They also said that the #2 cylinder was misfiring. Their suggestion for repair was a new head assembly...about $1700. After this experience, I took my car to a local independent Subaru mechanic, Miles Fox, and he doesn't think that it could be a head problem because there is no smoke, no oil leakage, no oil in the water. He then took a look at the #2 fuel injector and found that when he unplugged it the car's idle changed, thus suggesting that the injector is working fine, but that it might be getting a bad signal from the ECM either due to a bad ground on ECM board, or a bad ECM that needs to be replaced. Is there anyone out there who thinks replacing the ECM might fix this problem??? Any suggestions??? I have taken very good care of this car and have had the timing belt, fuel pump, oil pump, and alternator replaced over the last four years, change the oil regularly, and flush and fill the tranny and radiator every year. Very rarely do I drive it over 70mph, and most of its miles lately are between 50-65 mph. Help me out, if you have any ideas. I love this car and don't want to give it up. Thanks.
I am Miles Fox! RECKONNIZE!! =^x^=
www.trashwagon.com
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Umm...how about the coil running the spark plug? Did we try replacing this? It would seem to me that you fix the cheap things first, then do the expensive ones.

BTW, that estimate of $1700 seems like a fishing expedition to me.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
MilesFox
In Neutral

Post by MilesFox »

how common of an occurrence is it to have the coil packs go bad?
I am Miles Fox! RECKONNIZE!! =^x^=
www.trashwagon.com
Josh Long
In Neutral

Misfire

Post by Josh Long »

When were the plugs replaced last? have they ever been? Proper gap? Check the resistance of the spark plug wires.

Plugs and wires cure a lot of these misfire codes.

Josh