Questions-Where to find Intercooler Hosing? fitting Saab IC?

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Questions-Where to find Intercooler Hosing? fitting Saab IC?

Post by LegacyT »

I now have a Saab 900 iC and am wondering where I should look for hoses to plumb it up. I need the short coupling from the IC to the throttle body and a hose from the turbo to the intercooler. Also will I have to cut the intercooler to get it to fit between the throttle body and firewall? And how do I plumb up the recirc-valve? Oh yeah its the older 82-86 Saab 900 IC with the Aluminum endtanks.

Thanks,
Mark
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
Fernely
In Neutral

Look on e-bay!

Post by Fernely »

e-bay has a bunch of auctions for assorted ic hoses. here is one example.
We have two seasons in Miami, Hot and Hotter!
rnljarvis
In Neutral

sizes of turbo outlet and throttle body

Post by rnljarvis »

Hi all. I've been lurking and learning for a few months. I have a practically perfect 94 turbo wagon that I bought about six months ago (found it on e-bay). It is my first Subaru.

Anyway, I bought a Saab 900 type intercooler with aluminum end-tanks on e-bay ($41.00 - not bad...) last week. I'm also trying to do some homework on how to make it all fit.

Can someone tell me the OD of the turbo outlet and the OD of the throttle body? I believe the inlet and the outlet of the intercooler is 2.25" OD. Is there a particular reducer that works to connect the throttle body and the intercooler outlet?

Please forgive me if this info is already available somewhere but I've looked and I can't find it.

From looking things over, it looks like a 45 degree silicone elbow off the turbo should point pretty straight at the inlet of the saab I/C. Might need to use a short silicone hump type coupler to make things line up. Going this way, I could/would use straight steel or aluminum tubes between the silicone fittings.

My other thought is to use a double ply silicone flexible hose with helical wire reinforcement (check out http://www.ihozs.com/applshow.cfm?ID=7&selcode=AI& ) for the entire length from the turbo to the intercooler. My main concern with going with the full flex hose is that the hose might elongate or flex under boost. Anybody tried using this kind of hose?

Any thoughts or advice y'all might have will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron Jarvis
94 tubo wagon
Richmond, VA
pjgaerlan
In Neutral

Saab intercooler hoses

Post by pjgaerlan »

I'm fitting my 45 deg silicone tube this week. trying to figure out how to get the Turbo outlet to fit the silicone tube since it about 1.5" and the Saab IC outlet is 2.25", then to figure out the joint for the Bypass valve/DV valve whatever it is? Any suggestions turbo gurus?

Putting in a WRX coolant tank this week, my plastic one broke upon fitting my WRX IC.

WRX coolant tank part number: 2132AA075

PJ
teaguespeed
First Gear

Post by teaguespeed »

hey, that flexible hose seams like a decent idea. I doubt the temps out of the turbo get anywhere near 550 degrees. I am also trying to get a hose for my air/water ic. That hose is pretty expensive, and comes in a minimum length of 6'. If you end up doing that would you be interested in splitting cost?
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

"If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

I know the diameter for out turbo outlet is 1.5". That only comes in a 12' length. Plus the AWIC inlet is larger than 1.5, maybe 1.75. So there would have to be a reducer somewhere in there and you have to plumb in the bypass nipple. Argggh, I just want my AWIC on now, not all this stupid work. I'm allergic to that stuff.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
teaguespeed
First Gear

Post by teaguespeed »

The AWIC inlet is 2". Thats what i would buy. I was looking at it and right after the turbo the stock tube thingy (from the turbo to intake manifold) is about 2" (outside diameter), maybe a little less, so i was thinking you could cut it and use it.
Last edited by teaguespeed on Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

rnljarvis
In Neutral

Post by rnljarvis »

teaguespeed wrote:hey, that flexible hose seams like a decent idea. I doubt the temps out of the turbo get anywhere near 550 degrees. I am also trying to get a hose for my air/water ic. That hose is pretty expensive, and comes in a minimum length of 6'. If you end up doing that would you be interested in splitting cost?
I was originally thinking of selling the unused portion on e-bay, bu I'm open to sharing.

Brat4x4 says that the outside diameter of the turbo outlet is 1.5". No offense intended, but can anyone verify? Seems small.

I don't like the idea of running a 1.5" hose all the way to the intercooler, so I think it would be better to use a silicone reducer/enlarger to bring the size up to 2" or 2.5" for the run up to the intercooler.

For the BOV, I'm hoping I can figure a way to plumb in a fitting on the aluminum end-tanks of the the I/C.

Anyone know offhand the OD of the throttle body?
Ron Jarvis
94 Legacy Turbo Wagon
Richmond, VA
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

With a 1.5" radiator hose slipped over the turbo outlet, the unusuable turbo-AWIC connecting piece would fit over the two like a glove. That's what I know from my very elaborate failed attempt to use that god-forsaken piece. The actual diameter of the IC inlet I do not know and have never measured.

teaguespeed
First Gear

Post by teaguespeed »

1.5" sounds right. if you look at it it's quite small. does the 1.5" radiator hose bring it up to 2"? I'm positive the AWIC inlet is 2" or as close to it as i can measure with measuring tape. This sounds like it could work.
Last edited by teaguespeed on Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

6' of 2" comes to less than $60 with shipping to my address. Split 3 ways this would not be bad. 4 way split might be stretching it, that's 18" each. If you guys are interested.

I still worry about how I'm going to plumb the bypass. I'd rather not try welding stuff onto the IC itself.

teaguespeed
First Gear

Post by teaguespeed »

I know what you mean about welding on the IC. If you wanted to be safest you could do it somewhere on the inlet pipe on the IC. Hope this makes sense.
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I was wondering, what all needs moved for the saab 900 to fit? Just the ignitor? Anything else? And does anyone have a photo of the moved pieces? Where are you guys moving the ignitor to? Just lower down the firewall? Any help would be very appreciated. :)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Wow, I'm dissapointed. :( There is like 10 or more people running this setup and nobody can give me any advice? This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've asked this question in different threads and i've never gotten a responce.

I'm getting a little frustrated because this and so many of my other questions seem to go unanswered on this board.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
David Carter
Vendor
Vendor

give up!

Post by David Carter »

Na, hey as soon as all my parts show up, i'll take lots and lots of pics of my blundering attempt , and you can learn from my numorus mistakes and install yours correctly. :)

I'm thinking all will be here by next week..
91 Subaru Legacy LS 2.2l FWD WGN
91 Subaru Legacy SSDN 2.2t AWD