Stupid Codes.. Help?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

n2x4
Fourth Gear

Stupid Codes.. Help?

Post by n2x4 »

I hate to ask these questions cause I know they're all over the boards, but I'm stumped.

For my weekend project I decided to attack my CEL light. I get codes 11, 22, 23, and 35. I thought I'd start with 22 after reading a thread that said 23 might go away after I fixed it. I got a new knock sensor from my subaru dealer (70 bucks) and installed it.

The old one was indeed cracked. With the new one in, I still have all the same codes after I drove around for a bit. Just looking further on down the bbs threads thehookeup replaced his sensor, and his code went away. Why didn't mine?

I tried the clear ECU trick with both diagnostic plugs connected and driving around, and the only thing that happened was that while driving, only code 35 flashed repeatedly. After I turned off the car, I just connected the black connector and all 4 codes were still there.

Did I not fix it? Do I need to disconnect the battery over night? I want the car to see that I fixed the sensor so I can move on to the other problems! Any help would be appreciated.
SUBARUEHS Racing
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

To reset the ECU, remove its fuse and leave it out for a good half hour or so (car obviously off). Or, if you really want to make sure it resets and don't mind losing your radio presets, disconnect the battery and stand on the brake pedal for a few seconds.

Also, I think you're supposed to start with the lowest numbered code -- so in your case, code 11 would be the most pressing issue you should be focusing on first. Code list is here: http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/bcbfcodes.html

Vikash's scan tool ( http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/b10scan/ ) will allow you to force a clear of the stored ECU codes.

Hope this helps!
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You need to fix the canister purge solenoid.

That code/issue for some reason if present will cause havoc and not allow the codes to clear. I had the exact same issue I was helping another guy with, and when he finally replaced the canister purge solenoid he was able to clear the codes and the other codes went away.

I'm sure you could find a used CPS in the parts shed if you wanted to test this theory.

I also say this because if the crank sensor was truly bad....your car wouldn't run.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

That's a good point. I didn't check to see what code 11 was; I suppose you don't always start with the lowest-numbered code then. Nevermind :)
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Thanks, I kinda thought it was weird that only code 35 flashed while I was driving. I'll post a wanted ad for a new sensor.

Yah, code 11 kinda seemed dumb to me since I'm driving the car, which was another reason I was hoping to clear the codes.

Thanks for the help, I'll report back if all gets fixed (and I'm sure I'll report if something goes wrong too :? )
SUBARUEHS Racing