Any interest in Crucial Downpipe?

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Intersted in a replacement downpipe?

Yes
63%
No
No votes
Too expensive
38%

Total votes: 8

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Any interest in Crucial Downpipe?

Post by THAWA »

I spoke to Jeremy at Crucial Racing a while back about a proper length replacement downpipe. He seemed interested in the idea, but didn't know what kind of market there would be. So who would actually be interested in it?

The Crucial design is a divorced wastegate that joins right before the bend to go under the car. The downpipe would be coated with a high quality coating, you can get quite close to the downpipe after boosting and how feel any heat. The turbo outlet starts at 2.5" and expands to 3". The wastegate outlet I forget what size it is, but its a decent size. Fully mandrel bent, very awesome TIG welds, 304 Stainless, O2 sensor in the right place. It's quite the setup.

I currently have a WRX downpipe:

http://www.crucialracing.com/products/downpipe.php
and the catless racepipe:

http://www.crucialracing.com/products/i ... dpipes.php
with a custom catback. It is a very nice downpipe setup. Here's my review: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=921384

I don't know what the price would be, but I assume slightly more than a WRX setup.

So who is interested?
Last edited by THAWA on Tue May 30, 2006 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

interested but too much money for me.

but that doesnt mean it isnt priced properly. it just means i dont have enough money to buy it.

maybe next year when my youngest isnt wearing diapers anymore. that equals about 40-50 dollars a month.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

I'm not going to vote, since I already have an exhaust I like, but I would advise anyone thinking of this to definately go for it. I've seen Hardy's exhaust and I really like it. I really don't think you'll find a better ratio of quality to price anywhere. Plus, the price isn't that bad at all.

Hardy: On the nasioc post you mentioned you don't like the bpm muffler.....Neither do I. Change it. :)
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Sorry. I though the Crucial WRX downpipe will work on our cars. I was planning to get one since I think they are very cool. What's the deal with the fittament on Legacies i.e. proper lenght vs. WRX? What would they be building for us exactly? Clue me in. Thanks!
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

WRX downpipes are two piece. There is the downpipe:

and the midpipe:

Those two pieces together are longer than the Legacy downpipe. The Legacy downpipe actually ends where the last cat is in the WRX setup.

I haven't exactly asked for any specifics, but I would assume it would be either a 3" setup that tapered down to 2.5" with a donut style flange to mate to the stock catback, or it would be a full 3" with a flat flange. I don't know that they'll have a problem building one or the other, but I can't see them doing both.

I'm glad someone's interested!

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

If I was going to get a custom job from there to the muffler would this lenght issue matter? Or is there a cross member in the way or something like that?

Yeah, I researched downpipes a ton and these are far and away the coolest out there. Not really THAT pricey. But our engines run really hot around the turbo - from what I've heard the coating on these things are amazing AND there's the divorced wastegate and tapered design...Really a cut above.
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Nope, that's essentially what I did. I got the WRX downpipe and midpipe, with a BPM muffler, and a custom catpipe. What's interesting to note, is that the stock catpipe will physically fit with a WRX downpipe, midpipe, and muffler, just have to make sure the flanges will work.

And yeah, this coating is something sweet.

mr soul
Second Gear

Post by mr soul »

If you are encouraging them to build T leggy specific pipes ask them to add two bungs up near the turbo. One for the O2 and another with plug for easy wideband setup. My 02Cents.
Retired but still rocking a 98 Coupe with the heart of a turbo legacy :)
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

mr soul wrote:If you are encouraging them to build T leggy specific pipes ask them to add two bungs up near the turbo. One for the O2 and another with plug for easy wideband setup. My 02Cents.
You don't want the wideband next to the turbo...the heat tends to throw them off
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
mr soul
Second Gear

Post by mr soul »

555BCTurbo wrote:
mr soul wrote:If you are encouraging them to build T leggy specific pipes ask them to add two bungs up near the turbo. One for the O2 and another with plug for easy wideband setup. My 02Cents.
You don't want the wideband next to the turbo...the heat tends to throw them off

I've heard that but it seems odd to me that Subaru thinks it OK for their O2 sensor to be 2 inches off the turbo but wideband manufactures suggest possible sensor damage.

I just like the sensor installation from the engine bay, not lying on my back under the car... :-D
Retired but still rocking a 98 Coupe with the heart of a turbo legacy :)
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

mr soul wrote:
555BCTurbo wrote:

I've heard that but it seems odd to me that Subaru thinks it OK for their O2 sensor to be 2 inches off the turbo but wideband manufactures suggest possible sensor damage.

I just like the sensor installation from the engine bay, not lying on my back under the car... :-D
It's because of the differences in the 3 wire and the 5 wire sensors...you see...the 5 wire is heated by itself much quicker/more efficiently than a 3 wire, so the heat from the turbo kinda messes with it.
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

Hardy, I'm VERY interested in a Turbo Legacy-specific downpipe from Crucial. Put me down as a definte "yes" if they'll agree to produce them . . . in fact, I'll take TWO, and that's no joke.

Full 3" would be my vote. . . with a flat flange at the bottom for mating with other aftermarket catback systems, Crucial's own, or any custom-fabbed shindig. :)
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

im not trying to create controversy. but....... and if you tell me im wrong thats fine. but, i just dont see the point in having and seprate pipe that is then married to the main down pipe 10 inches down. well i do see the point but i could never justify spending money on it. you are better off to either make a bell mouth, or buy one. much cheaper, and most likely just as effecient.

there is no point in it, unless.... you are builing some serious serious friggen power. and spending like 20,000 on the MOTOR. i know i sound rediculous. but not as much as that down pipe.
-93 2.2T (RIP), 93 N/A best car on earth.
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

This is good discussion.

The theory behind the divorced wastegate is that you separate the turbine and wastegate outputs so they do not interfere with each other and cause boost creep. a stock setup will cause boost creep depending on the output of the turbo. Bellmouths can do this aswell if the mouth isn't setup properly. A divorced wastegate has a MUCH lower chance of boost creep happening.

The other advantage to this setup is the diameter of the pipe directly after the turbine. If it's too large like a bellmouth would provide, it becomes worse for performance. Similar to having a 2.5" piece of exhaust and then mating a 3" piece immediately next to it, no transition in size.

The Crucial setup expands from 2.5" to 3". Similar to the CES design

Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

Considering the coating, that' a good price.

My DP is divorced and naked :cry:
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

Subtle wrote:Considering the coating, that' a good price.

My DP is divorced and naked :cry:
Sounds like some women. :lol:
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

i understand what its supposed to do. but.... unless you make the divorced pipe to acutally go around the divorce wasegate. will it make that much of a difference? because the wastegate still inside the that exhast area. does anyone follow me. im prolly just not understanding.
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I understand what you mean, most divorced designs employ a divider between the wastegate and turbine areas. This is what the crucial design looks like:

There is very little to no mixing of the two gases (there is always going to be some no matter what manufacturer is used as the divider never rests fully against the turbine housing, and even if it did metal and metal don't seal very well).

So yes, it will make a difference.

thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

i guess i didnt look closely enough. looks good tho. i like that divider
Andrew
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

So what does Crucial have to say about making these for our application? Not a groundswell of interest but I'm sure others would come out from lurking...
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I dunno, I was going to wait until we had at least 5 yes votes, but I didn't vote yet, so there we go.

scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

Here's the thing, doesn't the WRX setup fit the legacy already?

edit: oh, proper length. I see.
91 Legacy Wagon, Total Rally Car.

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

http://www.youtube.com/mobilepolice/
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

Don't forget, Hardy . . . I count as TWO votes. ;)
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

I'm definitely getting the downpipe and mid-pipe with highflow cat in the next three months...

I could go either way - WRX retrofit or spec Lego part. I'm just going to get a custom 3" job after that, topped off with magnaflow's finest twin tip...

Mr. Crucial seems really responsive on Nabisco. Perhaps we could get him to weigh in here? Add a little celeb status to the typical humdrum? :-)
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I sent Jeremy a message on Nabisco. Hopefully he'll join up over here and post.