Assembly pics & stuff

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Assembly pics & stuff

Post by 93forestpearl »

http://www.d.umn.edu/~pidd0002/Car%20Stuff/Assembly/

Finally started putting my motor together. Went pretty good except for putting 11 (eleven) pistons in. :shock: Just dumb shit like remembering to put the oil squirters in after two pistons are in to noticing a little dimple on the middle ring when the last pistion is going in. "I wonder what that is all about. Oh shit, that's supposed to be up." Needless to say I had to pull the other three out and check them. Oh well. I guess practice makes perfect :roll:

I forgot to take pics with the heads on, but the rockers and covers aren't on yet since the lash adjusters are collapsed. I'm gonna pull them out and pump them up before I put the rockers back on.

I don't know what I'm gonna do about my intake manifold yet. I kinda want to go red, since it will match alot of my other stuff, but I don't want to play like its an STi motor, or make people who don't know shit to think that either.

Lastly, I'll end with a quote from someone Sunday night at the local gearhead meeting place.

"The only way to get anything out of those motors is more displacement. I think you should scrap the whole project and get a WRX." - some moron who is gonna sell me a SS for $400
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Cool pics Dan! Nice seeing some internal goodies.

I suppose if anything ever happens to my motor, I'll take a more built internals setup :twisted:
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

oooh... shiny slugs and head studs.... sexy
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
Subaru for Life
First Gear

Post by Subaru for Life »

Nice jugs...I mean look at 'em custom rods and pistons :shock:

I'm in the process of rebuilding my motor right now. But since I've already honed the cylinders once before, I may have to rebore and get oversize pistons this time around.

Now if you don't mind me asking, did your motor come with the head studs or are they after market?

What did you use for sealant for the cylinder block? My local dealer wanted $28.00 for a tube of Fuju Threebond stuff.

And lastly, could you smack that gear head in the background flipping a bird at the camera?

Thanks in advance.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Subaru for Life wrote: And lastly, could you smack that gear head in the background flipping a bird at the camera?

lol.....I never even noticed. Thats Paul, and his hands look like that 24/7.

For sealing everything, I just used the permatex grey stuff. It had a higher temp rating than their black, which is what color the factory stuff was. Acetone was key in getting all the old stuff cleaned off since fresh silicone won't bond to cured stuff. It sucks to work with, but nothing cuts through cured silicone acetone. That and a really dull wood chisel with no handle.

The head studs are definately not stock. I don't want to buy anymore head bolts.
→Dan

Subaru for Life
First Gear

Hi Dan, are you saying you don't have to change the head studs every time you have to take the heads off? Now that would be cool and cost effective 8) . Do you mind telling me where you got them from?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Never mind found 'em, ARPs for $126.00/set.
Last edited by Subaru for Life on Wed May 24, 2006 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

93forestpearl wrote:For sealing everything, I just used the permatex grey stuff. It had a higher temp rating than their black, which is what color the factory stuff was.
Actually, you're supposed to use the gray subaru sealant on the block halves.

The black stuff is only for the plugs.

However, the permatex gray works for everything.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Subaru for Life wrote:Hi Dan, are you saying you don't have to change the head studs every time you have to take the heads off? Now that would be cool and cost effective 8) . Do you mind telling me where you got them from?

Thanks in advance.
Even with head bolts, you don't need to replace them every time. I reused the bolts for mine. This has been discussed, so if you'd like more info, do a search.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Subaru for Life
First Gear

[quote="Legacy777Even with head bolts, you don't need to replace them every time. I reused the bolts for mine. This has been discussed, so if you'd like more info, do a search.[/quote]

Yeah, I read up on it a long time ago. I just didn't have the nerves to reuse it, I'm chicken. But since your car is the living proof that it could be done and still driving, I guess I'll reuse 'em this time.

Thanks Josh for clearing this up for me, you've just saved me $126.00 :D

When I dissambled my spare motor last month, I found lumps of sealant broken off and stuck in oil passages. I think I used a little too much goop. Good thing it was never run, stored for 5 years, now when I need it, it's rusted inside the cylinder walls. Now I'm back to square one :-D

Take care,
Pye
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

If I wasn't gonna be pushing this motor, I wouln't have thought twice about reusing the head bolts. Next year I want to update the heads and the studs just seemed logical to me. What that logic may be based on is another story...
→Dan

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Studs are the only way to go.

Gotta be careful though. We have a motor at the shop using oversized ARP studs. A pain all around (since everything needs to be drilled out. But the worst part is any significant det. and the headgasket will go.

But it'll also hold 45pounds of boost...
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

And what is this on ???? ^^^^

Sounds like it would be a sweet tuning challenge, granted you've got the skillz
→Dan

napphappy
Second Gear

Post by napphappy »

93forestpearl wrote:Next year I want to update the heads and the studs just seemed logical to me. What that logic may be based on is another story...
Im glad to hear this. I thought it was a shame to have such a nicely built block, with the crappy ej22t heads :(
What heads do you plan to upgrade with?
1997 White BG Ltd 5MT, EJ22T with Wiescos, EJ20R Heads, Two large dents R.I.P
1995 Impreza EJ22T DOHC Hydra EMS, 20g, EWG, 3in APS TBE, AWIC
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

napphappy wrote:
93forestpearl wrote:Next year I want to update the heads and the studs just seemed logical to me. What that logic may be based on is another story...
Im glad to hear this. I thought it was a shame to have such a nicely built block, with the crappy ej22t heads :(
What heads do you plan to upgrade with?

I'd like to get some STi ver 7 or 8 heads, but cost and availibility may be a factor. I'd also like to keep my compression in the 8's without swapping pistons. We'll see.

I'm curious to see how the old heads will do with the Delta cams.
→Dan

napphappy
Second Gear

Post by napphappy »

If you get a chance to see EJ25D(which are cheap compared to the heads you mentioned) side-by-side with EJ22t heads, you will be amazed. And wonder why you didnt swap earlier.

Also if you want to drop a bunch of cash, you can get JUN cams for the EJ25D heads.

Sorry to sidetrack your post. BTW Nice build. What pistons are you using(I may have missed it)
1997 White BG Ltd 5MT, EJ22T with Wiescos, EJ20R Heads, Two large dents R.I.P
1995 Impreza EJ22T DOHC Hydra EMS, 20g, EWG, 3in APS TBE, AWIC
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Yeah, the other day I saw a EJ25 DOCH without the intake manifold and the intake ports look quite abit larger. I want to get newer heads, but right now I'm just focused on getting this thing going. Maybe next summer.

Pistons are Wiseco .020 over.
→Dan

Do It Sidewayz
In Neutral

Post by Do It Sidewayz »

From the looks of this...you are using:

Eagle Rods
Wiseco Pistons (only ones available for the ej22)
Clevite Bearings

how did you find the fitment and tolerances of the Clevittes??

I'm looking at building the identical motor to yours, I'm debating between Clevittes, stock subarus, and Cosworths for bearings.

Alright...sorry..not the identical motor to yours....i'm putting EJ20G DOHC heads on the thing.

Did you use Cometics? or stock Subaru Head gaskets??
GotSubie
First Gear

Post by GotSubie »

nice its the same thing i just went through but i forgot to take pics or im just to lazy ya im just to lazy. so what is it an Ej22t or Ej20G or something else.