WRX heads vs. JDM ej20g

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Do It Sidewayz
In Neutral

WRX heads vs. JDM ej20g

Post by Do It Sidewayz »

i am planning to build a EJ22T with new rods and pistons, then top it all off with JDM EJ20G heads (i think they are ej20G heads).

I have been talking with a guy who is selling CP pistons, and Cometic gaskets, which i believe to be thinner in order to bring the compression ratio back to liveable numbers.

Are the CC's of both heads similar?? would i be able to use these head gaskets??
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Ej20G heads= 57cc
Ej205 heads= 45cc
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Question:

Does the cc of the heads count toward the total cc?

For instance, 2212 is the cc of the ej22t, but are the ccs of the heads counted in that?

I'm sure the cr could be calculated from these numbers/variables -- How?

I guess I don't quite understand how the heads work (on a physical level). . . :?
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

displacement is how much air the pistons displace as they move, so this does not include the piston volume, head volume, or head gasket volume.
CR=total volume inside the cylinder with the piston at BDC devided by the total volume with the piston at TDC.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

with the stock internals on the 2.2t short block with the 20g heads. its a great match. i know a lot of people say that the CR drops a lot . and it drops a lot of low end power.. but it with my TD04 it only lags to 3 grand and then i have power all the way. and even 1000-3000 it still is kinda of torquey. and if i ran a better turbo it would kick ass even more. 22t short block, 20g heads and a new vf34 or 39 and it will be awesome...

as far as the cc's go i agree, they are 57cc. , and the 20g heads are different, from the 22t sohc heads. but you can use the stock 22t head gaskets.

i also agree with 206er
-93 2.2T (RIP), 93 N/A best car on earth.
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Haha, your build is opposite mine! I have the ej20g sb and stock turbo heads!

I got most of my questions answered with a nice 2.35 stroker block as an example while I was kickin' it at Frantic Four today.
Thanks Eric!
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[/quote]
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

tris91ricer wrote:Haha, your build is opposite mine! I have the ej20g sb and stock turbo heads!
That's a great combo. I built one of those for a customer. It's right about 9:1 and with a teeny little VF-11 it's got a nice solid flat torque curve. My only regret is the bonehead I built it for blew it up with a stupid mechanic's error. It would have been the perfect auto-x car...

I also favour the Ej20G heads on an Ej22T with a big fat turbo. I too think all this talk of CR's is overrated.

One last thing to add, is that any set of WRX heads from '00+ will be a challenge to make work on an old Legacy. This is because of changes to the cam gears and timing marks. A couple of members have tried to make it work, and I have yet to see a documented success. If someone works the bugs out, I hope they post a blow by blow so others can see how to make it fly...

Also, I think that the "original" high power formula is being overlooked. DOHC Ej25 heads on the Ej22T. It's a great option and an easy conversion. Search for napphappy's recent thread on the subject to get the details of how to modify the heads for the oil and coolant to feed the turbo. They are basically the same castings as 97-98 EJ20K/EJ20H heads, and do have the smaller combustion chambers for those concerned about CR...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

One last thing to add, is that any set of WRX heads from '00+ will be a challenge to make work on an old Legacy. This is because of changes to the cam gears and timing marks. A couple of members have tried to make it work, and I have yet to see a documented success. If someone works the bugs out, I hope they post a blow by blow so others can see how to make it fly...

what do you mean?, i thought all you had to do with the 00+ wrx heads was drill out a couple of coolant passages? and then what did they do different to the cam gears so that it wouldnt work?
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
Do It Sidewayz
In Neutral

Post by Do It Sidewayz »

well. the guy is selling custom made CP pistons, with a set of Cometics that from what i can gather are thinner, in order to bring up the c/r for WRX heads. He tells me the C/r with the WRX heads will be around 8.5:1.

heads are coming off the ej20 i had in the car which threw a rod bearing. I don't know forsure that it's an ej20G, as i don't have it apart yet. But...the motor came from a JDM legacy..and came with a computer that said 1996 Legacy... The motor had a black WTA i/c on it, coil on plug ignition, and grey 440CC injectors

this motor is going to be used as a rally motor. so bottom end grunt is a nessessity.

Turbo will be a completely monsterized wrx TD04 turbo.
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

haha monsterized? i like that. but with all my expeirence with rally motors. is constant high rpm. never do i drop low into the power band. i stay around 5 grand to 7 grand. i guess its all preference
Andrew
napphappy
Second Gear

Post by napphappy »

If it has a single turbo and a AWIC it is from a Pre 94' JDM(or almost anywhere besides the US) Legacy.
If the ECU has 4 yeallow plugs, the "1996" is a typo
1997 White BG Ltd 5MT, EJ22T with Wiescos, EJ20R Heads, Two large dents R.I.P
1995 Impreza EJ22T DOHC Hydra EMS, 20g, EWG, 3in APS TBE, AWIC
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Matt, you were a good part of the reason I got this setup. I'm muey impressed. I love it.

Its a great drive and very punchy when its not throwing codes. I'm still fighting my vss and iac valve. :(
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[/quote]
Do It Sidewayz
In Neutral

Post by Do It Sidewayz »

thehookeup wrote:haha monsterized? i like that. but with all my expeirence with rally motors. is constant high rpm. never do i drop low into the power band. i stay around 5 grand to 7 grand. i guess its all preference
that holds true for the roads you guys have out in Oregon...but here we've got some nice twisty stuff.

PLus with the 34MM restrictor...top end grunt is basically thrown out the window.

Monsterized is right...it's getting a 19G compressor wheel, ported and oversized wastegate, plus a pile of other tricks.

In regards to the EJ20...the computer we got with it must have been a mistake as it did not have the 4 Yellow connectors, instead it had a big "terminal block" with a 6 mm bolt holding the connector to the computer
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

ok so. My tech friend is telling me I can put ej205 heads on my 2.2 and run it with my 2.2 ecu... I know this to be untrue, but I don't know why. Could someone, like matt, explain in detail why I cant just bolt em on.
Kickin' it old-school.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Matt Monson wrote:
One last thing to add, is that any set of WRX heads from '00+ will be a challenge to make work on an old Legacy. This is because of changes to the cam gears and timing marks.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Yeah, I can read too. But that doesn't show me the differences. Yesterday, I put the two setups side by side, and I think I figured out how to run ej205 heads on my computer.
Kickin' it old-school.
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Funny thing about the EJ20G heads + ej22t shortblock - if the CR is about 7.8ish:1 (not sure that it is 7.8:1) that would put it @ the same CR as the 6 bolt (non crank walking) 4g63s from the GVR4 & Eclipse.

Although the CR is a little low by todays standards you should be able to push alot of boost through the motor...
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Arctic Assassian wrote:Yeah, I can read too. But that doesn't show me the differences. Yesterday, I put the two setups side by side, and I think I figured out how to run ej205 heads on my computer.

I *think* the number and location of the pulses on the cam sprockets changed on EJ205s. I *know* they did for the crank position sensor.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

I wish i had ej20g heads.
Kickin' it old-school.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Ya the crank and cam position sensors are different on the new stuff. You need the newer ECU and wiring for it. One benefit would be the ability to do some open-source tuning, ie RomRaider.

Don't forget that the EJ22T's pistons protrude by, I wanna say .020. At the moment I don't have a 22T shortblock that is together for me to measure. If you go too thin on the head gasket things will touch each other that shouldn't. When I put the EJ25D heads on that I picked up, I'm gonna use the .051 Cometics. The stock gasket is .059. With the the smaller dish of the Wiseco's I have, I should be at or a hair above 8.0:1. I'll miss the off boost luggability of 8.5:1 and the torquey 22T heads, but meh, I'll get over it.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Anyone know the resulting compression ratio from an EJ25 with EJ22NA dual port exhaust heads?
Is there a difference between phase 1 and phase 2
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I've heard you end up with a higher compression ratio, like maybe into the 11's. I don't know for sure. My buddy is supposed to be working on this. Maybe check RS25?
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I used the specs from http://wac.addr.com/auto/obs/turbo/ejcalcs.html with the calculator http://www.bgsoflex.com/cr.html -
* Cylinder head Volume (CC) = 40.00
* Piston Top Volume (CC) = 14.00
* Cylinder Bore (Inches) = 3.9
* Cylinder Stroke (Inches) = 3.11
* Deck Height (Inches) = 0.000
* Head Gasket Thickness (Inches) = 0.060
# Computed Compression Ratio is 10.3 to 1

If I use the SOHC gasket thickness of 0.023 # Computed Compression Ratio is 11.5 to 1

For fun I entered the stock EJ22 specs -
* Cylinder head Volume (CC) = 40.00
* Piston Top Volume (CC) = 14.50
* Cylinder Bore (Inches) = 3.8
* Cylinder Stroke (Inches) = 2.95
* Deck Height (Inches) = 0.000
* Head Gasket Thickness (Inches) = 0.060
Computation Results:
# Computed Compression Ratio is 9.4 to 1