Can't figure out installing momo steering hub adapter

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

n2x4
Fourth Gear

Can't figure out installing momo steering hub adapter

Post by n2x4 »

I'm getting sooo frustrated. I got a steering wheel and a hub adapter, and i can't get it on. I've called momo and a place momo told me to call, and I've searched, I can't get it.

I got my old wheel off no prob.

BUT, my hub adapter won't work with my horn. This is the back of the hub adaptor:

It just doesn't seem right. On my steering column is a top piece with a harness that goes to the factory wheel and mates to the contact pad:

My hub adapter is a Momo PN 7306. The other guy momo told me to call says I need a 7305 for cars without cruise control (which I don't have). He's probably right, but I can't find that part anywhere, and the one I have now does fit the steering column. Any help. What did you guys who have this on your car already do? I'm gonna try and get it on and worry about the horn later.
SUBARUEHS Racing
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I found that the outermost ring and matching contact in the stock setup is the +12v source.

I ended up hacking apart my stock ring thingy (last pic) to get it to work.

Then again, I used a JDM wheel, but that's what I did.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Yeah, you have to moidify the wheel. You can remove the outer layer of the horn switch sandwich that has the harness contact. I don't think there's a difference with cruise control as I had it and had the same problem with a Grant adaptor (which appears nearly identical). I just put a new switch in the column to the lower right of the steering column (an area which would've been covered by the old wheel).
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

After my freak out session (I was kinda mad too) I went back out to the garage and modded it to work. Thanks for the replies guys.
With the project of adding a wheel I found out several things.

1. That Jet 320mm "STi" wheel + Adapter for 97 to 01 Impreza's commonly found on ebayWILL work with our car (that's what I got. 70 bucks shipped for the adapter and wheel was a pretty good deal I thought and I was going for the hub adapter anyways. Wheel isn't A+ quailty, but it gets the job done. They're a little slow on the shipping too, I waited 2 weeks for mine to get here.

2. The part (7306) is the same for impreza's and legacy's.

3. Yes, as you guys have said, you have to mod the horn contacts that connect to the hub with 4 phillips screws. I ended up trimming off the black connector that stuck up and hid behind the factory wheel. Once it was cut down, I snipped off the two connecting wires that weren't used and shortened the other and added a wire to it. I also removed the contact ring off the Momo adapter (it just kinda fit snug on there, it pulled off with a screwdriver). The connector was trimmed enough that I didn't have to mod anything else and the wheel bolted together and the horn worked once I grounded it to the hub adapter. Yey!

Thanks again everybody, I'll post some pics now that it's done tomorrow in the daylight.
SUBARUEHS Racing