N/A Power

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Townsville Liberty
In Neutral

N/A Power

Post by Townsville Liberty »

Ok so i have decided against goin turbo yet in my new lx liberty. but it still needs the new crank so while the motors out and the heads are off i was going to get the heads polished and match ported to the manifold and balanced.

i was also looking to get cams ground as well as an exhaust and cold air intake.

What do you think and what other sugestions do you have?
Originally Posted by Zefy
ahhhh... so many ideas, so lazy...:-p (not to meantion complete lack of $)

1st gear is just like foreplay, it's ok, but you want it to go as fast as you can and get it out of the way so you can get into the real sh*t!
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Here in the states, we have an outfit known as Delta who does regrinds on the cams. They are good for about 15chp and very cost effective. They run $165 USD plus freight. That's abour $400 cheaper than anyone else doing cams, and they are really the only one for the ej22e.

If you port the heads, please post before and after bench flow numbers if you can. I have always thought the Ej22E heads would put out decent flow with a good port job. I would love something empirical to back that up...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
Townsville Liberty
In Neutral

ok cool ill get the shop to give me before and after numbers. Any one know wat $165USD is in AUD? what sort of cost would shipping be? Does anyone know if they ship?

1st gear is just like foreplay, it's ok, but you want it to go as fast as you can and get it out of the way so you can get into the real sh*t!
Murphy
Third Gear

Post by Murphy »

thats $222.58 of your Aussie dollars (looked it up in google), that would be interesting to see how the N/A heads flow, though i cant read a flow chart, ill just read the comments people leave to know if its good or bad
tzedek
First Gear

Post by tzedek »

I bet they would ship them to you, its a good place. I just got a set of them today actually. check out www.deltacam.com and their phone is on there. The 220 grind has a good amount more lift, duration is close to stock.
Townsville Liberty
In Neutral

sounds good ill have to look into that somemore :D
anyone got any other ideas?

206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

an NA 4 banger just isnt enough for the big 3000lb + cars like we have. either keep it a stock motor and 2.25" exhaust so you dont spend a lot of money and dont have to run premium gas, or go with a turbo motor. an ej22e can still get you into trouble.
dont go sinking hundreds of dollars into ported heads and all that noise when you will end up with what is still a slow car in the grand scheme of things. the same money could probably get you a decent ej20g out of a liberty RS or maybe even something from an early WRX, I have no idea the prices down there.
if youre dead set on an NA build, I would start with something with a little more potential ie ej25. better heads, bigger CC, more compression, etc. not sure what the availability of one of those is over there though. a
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
Murphy
Third Gear

Post by Murphy »

theres an Aussie in the LegacyCentral "Reader Rides" (whatever its called) that took his EJ22E and place a Eaton supercharger on it, now its making about 245HP, it didnt give any details, but im sure hes done alot more than just the supercharger
Townsville Liberty
In Neutral

Yeah ive seen these motors with the supercharger off a merk kommpressor?

i was plannin on goin turbo after i do the AWD convert. my plan for the moment is to atleast keep up to my cousins manual v6 commodore and my bros 3.5L manual magna wagon i cant see it being too hard as the commodore puts out 127kW and 293Nm at the flywheel and weighs 1277kg and the wagon weighs 1512kg and puts out 147kw and 300Nm
the liberty is 1147kg and puts out 100kw and 189Nm

Info from http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/ve ... 2=MITS99HU

i cant see it being too hard to get an N/A liberty up to 150kw

Murphy
Third Gear

Post by Murphy »

Townsville Liberty wrote:Yeah ive seen these motors with the supercharger off a merk kommpressor?
do you mean like Mercedes Kompressor?
i was thinking it was an aftermarket Eaton M-45
Townsville Liberty
In Neutral

Yea thats them they look easy to install maybe the eaton is the same thing?

Murphy
Third Gear

Post by Murphy »

i looke it up little ago, yes, they are the same thing

except the Benz is called the MBZ-45 not the M-45
i asume it has minor changes to better suit the car

i think the hardest part would be figuring out how to mount it, it has to be up front enough to be even with the crank pulley, and you will also have to find some interesting way to mount it with a custom manifold
the one in Readers Rides seems to have it mounted upside down, hanging from the bottom of the manifold, it would be very easy to adjust the boost, just get a smaller blower pulley

yeah with a little work, it shouldnt be to hard considering it wieghs a good bit less aswell, and once you get the AWD in it should have a little better acceleration, i think it would anyway
Townsville Liberty
In Neutral

the way i saw one mounted was infront of the airbox with the pully inline with the p/s pump using a longer belt using a pod filter and running pipe to the throttle body ill try and find a pic for you all

Townsville Liberty
In Neutral

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That's Doug's car. Reddevil = Douglas Vincent
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Murphy
Third Gear

Post by Murphy »

realy, a Procharger C-1 centrifugal s/c would probably be an easier instal, all youd need is a mounting bracket and you could run piping from it to the stock manifold, similar to what Doug has done by mounting it off to the side. i think you could get more out of it as well, it goes up to 24psi and maxes about 80krpms
but unlike other centrifugal s/c, these carry their own oil and dont need a line to the motor
a intercooler would almost be nessisary because it heats up quite a bit, like 115* over what the outside air is

i wish i could just find out how much they cost though