Auto seatbelt broke :(

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Threshld1
Second Gear

Auto seatbelt broke :(

Post by Threshld1 »

So i got out of my car at a gas station last night and get back in, close the door, and the seatbelt doesnt retract. It moves maybe 2" freely in the track and is stuck in the open possition.

My question is what are my options for swaping to manual belts? would i have to replace the seat? if so what years should i start looking in 94+??
93 SS 5MT - TD05H-16G, 06 TMIC, Walbro, Zeitronix WB-02 - Scrapped too much rust
91 SS AT
97 Outback - Prodrive quick rack, DMS 40
thefultonhow
Second Gear

Post by thefultonhow »

Before you go replacing the belt, have you tried undoing the buckle? Auto belts get locked and then stuck -- it's happened to me a couple of times and the symptoms are similar to what you describe. Press the emergency release on the part that moves the belt and see if it will move freely.
-- David

1990 Subaru Legacy L+ 4WD Wagon 5MT, white with 66k miles -- SOLD
[url=http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66214]1992 Infiniti G20 5MT[/url], White Sandstone with 175k miles
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

I had a similar problem, and believe it or not, it was solved by replacing the computer. So try getting another one of those. It's a cheap fix, and you'd have two if its still not the problem. The seatbelt computer is the box on the driver's side just where the trunk starts. Its about the size of your hand.

When my belts still weren't working, I replaced the entire side assembly. I believe my problem was the motor/related solenoid electronics, but since they're an entire unit, just get a jy set, from the bottom parts all the way to the rails near the top of the dash. Not too bad of a fix, either, its pretty painless. Don't forget toi grease your rails regularly, too!
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I have a computer I took out when replacing my auto seatbelts with manual.

I'll let it go for cheap, so make me an offer.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

yeah i disconnected the belt to be sure it wasnt locking. This is my second car with these things and i absolutly hate them. I would much rather put effort into converting than fixing. Do i need to swap seats and what models do i look for?

I havent had a chance to apply 12v at the motor to see if its actually burned out, or if its another electrical issue like the computer or a relay, or even something mechanical. Ill hopefully do that today.
93 SS 5MT - TD05H-16G, 06 TMIC, Walbro, Zeitronix WB-02 - Scrapped too much rust
91 SS AT
Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

turns out the push cable had come out of its track at the first, near 90 deg bend. I think the motor kept trying to push when the belt locked 6" from the end of the track. It was pinched so the motor would try for a few seconds and give up. Pushed it back in and greased the track and works fine.

Im still wondering about the conversion. What is involved? I would love to be rid of these damn things
91 SS AT
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

When I bought the car, it came with the various parts out of a Canadian Legacy to swap them out.

Basically, I just took all the old parts out, and put the new ones in. If you get all the trim (I highly recommend it) then you won't even have to do any cutting.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

do you have any pictures of the setup?
91 SS AT
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I can snap some now that they're in...

Unfortunately, I didn't get any while I was installing them.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS