Carpet replacement options

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jblair
In Neutral

Carpet replacement options

Post by jblair »

The carpet in the cargo area of my car is pretty gross (smelly, dirty and stained from two dogs the PO often had in there) and I'm planning on throwing it out. I am wondering what are some options for replacing this. I have thought about calling a carpet place and asking for a couple of leftover square feet of gray carpet. Also, to replace the sound deadening mat, I was going to used leftover carpet padding. Has anyone here used this before? If they will sell it to me, I'm thinking it won't cost more than $25. After all, it's leftover and they'll most likely throw it out eventually.

I've also thought about buying one of those 95-99 Legacy Wagon rear cargo mats off eBay, but I'm not sure how well they'll fit and if they do, if you'll still be able to notice that there is not any carpet in the back.
1993 Legacy L Wagon AWD. A pair of Hella 500 fog lights and a set of winter tires are coming in preparation for 115 inches of average annual snowfall.
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

You are lucky, I had a pile of puke in the back passenger floor of my car that someone decided to cover with a floormat. I had to cut the carpet out.

So I'd also appreciate if someone could point us in the right direction of reupholstery options :)
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

If you are just going to replace the rear wagon cargo area, most large upholstery places have a good selection of pads and carpet for an automobile. Sadly, our cars' total carpet is specially molded to the body shape, so replacing the whole thing and making it fit well, means going to a good junkyard and finding one from a car that is in good shape.

I have picked up padding and carpet at an upholsterer and had good results.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
jblair
In Neutral

Post by jblair »

I picked up some carpet padding today at Lowe's. I plan on cutting it tomorrow and putting in the back. I'll post a write up/photos when I finish.
1993 Legacy L Wagon AWD. A pair of Hella 500 fog lights and a set of winter tires are coming in preparation for 115 inches of average annual snowfall.
1990 Legacy L Owner
First Gear

Post by 1990 Legacy L Owner »

I know this is an old topic and all, but I just wanted to add a suggestion.

Try a carpet cleaner, you know, the kind you buy for your house carpet. Those work very well for the cargo area because it's removable. For the rest of your interior, some of those personal carpet cleaners have a hose for cleaning upholstery. You could probably even rent one somewhere.
Chris
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Another option for the main-cabin carpet is ordering a Legacy carpet off of e-bay. I usually see them go for around $150, and the carpet itself is the same between the wagon and the sedan.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Thinsulate makes a good padding/insulation/sound deadener that's much lighter and not moisture retaining like the cotton crap they use for padding. Overestimating weight of this material to cover the entire cockpit of the car I'm planning (including headliner, floor, doors, and heavier material around the engine cover) is around 15 lbs. That might be more than 1% of the total car weight, but I think having a comfortable long-distance vehicle that doesn't seem built in a hack's garage is worth it.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.