Anyone have experience with DIY window tinting?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jblair
In Neutral

Anyone have experience with DIY window tinting?

Post by jblair »

I'm wanting to get my windows tinted, but can't justify the $179 price tag. I'm not looking for anything perfect, so I was thinking about just doing it myself and saving about $100 or so. Does anyone have any experience with this? I found a write up on the DIY Network's Web site, and it doesn't sound too difficult. I know it will probably turn purple and bubble/peel eventually, but I'm sure it will last for a while.
1993 Legacy L Wagon AWD. A pair of Hella 500 fog lights and a set of winter tires are coming in preparation for 115 inches of average annual snowfall.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I just pay the $180 and know that I have someone with 15 years experience (in my case) and a long warranty on the install and film. One less thing to worry about...
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The wagon is definitely going to be easier then the sedan, but unless you know what you're doing, it probably won't turn out too good.

The rear window really needs to be cut in strips so it doesn't bubble up. Also, use the outside of the window for layout of the tint to get everything cut the way you want.

I learned a few tricks when watching the guy that did my car. But I'd still just take it to someone to be done.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Re: Anyone have experience with DIY window tinting?

Post by magicmike »

jblair wrote:it doesn't sound too difficult.
give it a try and let me know how easy it was lol. I used to do window tinting for about 5 years. you get to learn the tricks on certain vehicles and you learn about how the tint reacts. it is definatley an art. The plus side to the subies is that the door windows are very flat in one direction. this makes it easy but the fact that we dont have window frames means that you have to trim the tint on 3 edges (left, right, and top). thats a little more tricky. The back window bends in two directions like a sphere. A wagon window will be slightly easier but you will still need to maybe do 2 pieces with a seam. you can only shrink the tint so much before it melts. if you have never tried it just pay to have it done. you will end up screwing up every window you try and spend twice as much on tint than you expected you would need to do the car.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

yeah have a professional do it, or you will end up with bubbles, scrathes, and holes.......on every window, and you will have lost that money you spent on the window film roll at wal mart.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
alcyone
First Gear

Post by alcyone »

Thought I would provide some thoughts here. If you want to teach yourself how to apply tint, a legacy is a great place to start. They're about the easiest cars to tint. The side windows can be done without any shrinking at all. Just lay the tint out, trim, and apply. Once you have the door panels off, it's a 10 minute job per window at the max. The back window is tricky, and I've not yet mastered that art, but it's not the worst back window in the world.

Cheers,

Mike
'93 Touring Wagon
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

jblair, have you attempted tinting your windows yet? How did they turn out?
'94 TW