jdm legacy headlight question

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

theflystyle
Second Gear

jdm legacy headlight question

Post by theflystyle »

just wanted to make sure that all jdm headlamps were indeed made of glass and not plastic...

and second question. what is the other light connection to the side of the main lamp?

and one final note.. would a jdm headlight assembly from a 1992 bf5 jdm legacy wagon fit my 94 usdm legacy sedan?
-94 Legacy L
-94 SVX LSi
-08 Legacy 3.0R

-And the list of things your should never say again...gets longer....
stipro
Third Gear

Re: jdm legacy headlight question

Post by stipro »

theflystyle wrote:just wanted to make sure that all jdm headlamps were indeed made of glass and not plastic...

and second question. what is the other light connection to the side of the main lamp?

and one final note.. would a jdm headlight assembly from a 1992 bf5 jdm legacy wagon fit my 94 usdm legacy sedan?
Yes the JDM headligts are made of glass. And the other light connection is for the city lights(like day-time running lights).
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
theflystyle
Second Gear

Post by theflystyle »

but will they fit my car? and is there a way to hook up the city lights?
-94 Legacy L
-94 SVX LSi
-08 Legacy 3.0R

skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Yes they will 'fit' and you can hook up the city lights with some modifications but these things are made for people who drive on the other side of the road. You will be constantly blinding the oncoming traffic unless you've done considerable reaiming/fitting of the things. Do some searching for JDM headlights and you'll find oodles of info.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

yeah the city lights like mentioned above are daytime running lights basically. I havent had people complain or "flash" their lights at me for blinding them. Ive been told they are bright though when driving behind people. I have driven by, behind, and going the other way of police officers and havent had an issue with them. They are pretty adjustable. I just wired the city lights into my parking lamps until i want to take the time to set up a switch for them. The glass headlights are noticably brighter than plastic ones and well worth the money if you dont feel like taking the time to clear the plastic ones every month or so.
heres a pic of what the city lights look like at night:

93 White Legacy Turbo Wagon: For Sale-ish
93 White Turbo Sedan: soon with a little more umf
91, funky brown purple gray color, legacy L Wagon: the "its so cheap i cant not pass it up" purchase to get me around when the others are down
jnorion
Third Gear

Post by jnorion »

Are you sure the JDM lights are glass? I have no experience with the Subaru lights, but I know that JDM Mazda lights are plastic. The JDM and EDM lights both have completely clear lenses, and have a distinct cutoff with a sweep to the side, but the EDM are glass whereas the JDM are plastic. They work the same as the EDM lenses but over time can yellow and fade the same as ours.
~Joel
1991 Legacy LSi sedan | 1990 Legacy L wagon
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

when they were sold to me they were sold as jdm headlights so i would assume so. Who ever is selling them should be able to distinguish between glass and plastic so id just ask
91, funky brown purple gray color, legacy L Wagon: the "its so cheap i cant not pass it up" purchase to get me around when the others are down
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes the jdm lights are glass, just like the edm lights.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Legacy777 wrote:Yes the jdm lights are glass, just like the edm lights.
I can second this, because I bought a pair when I was in New Zealand, and every single set I looked at where glass.

JDM ligts are glass. :D
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
NuclearBacon
Second Gear

Post by NuclearBacon »

+1 on the glass... i have JDM and they're super sweeeeeet
theflystyle
Second Gear

re

Post by theflystyle »

i emailed the person selling them and she said "they are plastic and have a nice day"

seems like someone may not know what they are talking about

here are some picsof the front of the headlamps, im just wondering if i should infact buy them.

-94 Legacy L
-94 SVX LSi
-08 Legacy 3.0R

NuclearBacon
Second Gear

Post by NuclearBacon »

i love mine, and you can see the segmentation for the "city lights" . i am 99.9 percent sure there are GLASS

buy them
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

ya they look like glass to me. she was prob refering to the plastic housing. I would buy them +1000000 i absolutely love mine
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

They are glass. Plastic ones have the little points sticking out from the iinjection molding process.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

well there you go!

BUY THEM
theflystyle
Second Gear

Post by theflystyle »

well i caved and got them....

80 dollars shipped from ebay.. not to bad in my opinion, but if you got them for cheaper then sssshhhhh!!!!!!!!! lol

thanks for all the replies and anyone interested in buying a nice set of usdm headlamps lol
-94 Legacy L
-94 SVX LSi
-08 Legacy 3.0R

Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

WOW, that's cheap! :shock:
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
kidatari
Second Gear

Post by kidatari »

theflystyle wrote:well i caved and got them....

80 dollars shipped from ebay.. not to bad in my opinion, but if you got them for cheaper then sssshhhhh!!!!!!!!! lol

thanks for all the replies and anyone interested in buying a nice set of usdm headlamps lol
I was gonna snipe that auction last minute, but I forgot ;)
[size=75]91 Perl White 5MT Legacy Sport Sedan[/size]
theflystyle
Second Gear

Post by theflystyle »

theflystyle wrote:
I was gonna snipe that auction last minute, but I forgot ;)

that woulda been awful :( lol
-94 Legacy L
-94 SVX LSi
-08 Legacy 3.0R

Arorally
In Neutral

Post by Arorally »

Hi, Are you goimg to put them into 94 legacy? If yes they will not fit. This headlights are from 90 - 92 legacy. The difference is that on 90-92 headlights are higher on outsides, where they touching side markers. I had same problem, bought same headlights from Ebay. Description said that they are from 93 legacy. After they didn't fit I send them an email what is wrong with them. I was lucky, because that time they had correct one on ebay so I ask for replacement and they agreed.
And you still need JDM side markers, to connect them with headlights.

Arek
93 SS saab intercooler, 11PSI, WRX seats, 06 legacy GT 17" wheels, more to go :)
Arorally
In Neutral

Post by Arorally »

gt2.5turbo wrote:yeah the city lights like mentioned above are daytime running lights basically. I havent had people complain or "flash" their lights at me for blinding them. Ive been told they are bright though when driving behind people. I have driven by, behind, and going the other way of police officers and havent had an issue with them. They are pretty adjustable. I just wired the city lights into my parking lamps until i want to take the time to set up a switch for them. The glass headlights are noticably brighter than plastic ones and well worth the money if you dont feel like taking the time to clear the plastic ones every month or so.
heres a pic of what the city lights look like at night:

Hey,
JDM fog lights looks cool, I have few questions about them.

I have a set from Ebay with switch. How did you mount them? What about wire harnes, and where did you instal switch?

Thanks

Arek
93 SS saab intercooler, 11PSI, WRX seats, 06 legacy GT 17" wheels, more to go :)
theflystyle
Second Gear

Post by theflystyle »

they didnt fit my car... they are glass all right and came with bulbs for both, as well as the city lights...

:(
-94 Legacy L
-94 SVX LSi
-08 Legacy 3.0R

Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

theflystyle wrote:they didnt fit my car... they are glass all right and came with bulbs for both, as well as the city lights...

:(
I think that set looks like a set for 90-91. I think. The pictures are kind of misleading because there's nothing to reference them with.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
theflystyle
Second Gear

Post by theflystyle »

i figured the same when i put mine next to these... little sharper of angles, etc...

debate is if to keep for future projects, sell or if anyone had a set for 92-94 a possible trade
-94 Legacy L
-94 SVX LSi
-08 Legacy 3.0R