Oil in antifreeze

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

subafreak
First Gear

Oil in antifreeze

Post by subafreak »

This is the biggest reason that my Turbo is off the road (that and I needed a tranny and rearend for my SVX) but anyway I made the mistake of having the engine rebuilt to get rid of what I now belive to be a normal knocking sound in all Subaru engines, when it had 170K on it. After I got it back the case leaked oil between the halfs and smoked on start up. So the second time he rebuilt it still knocked smoked and it started to push oil in to the antifreez, so I had him do it again and after a few more miles it started pushing oil in again so I just didn't pay the guy, pulled the tranny and rearend for my SVX becouse it auto blew up (big suprize) and now I have a peice of s*it rebuilt EJ22 Turbo block sitting under a bench in the shop. Any ideas or suggestions?
92 SVX 6 speed, 165 shot NOS, Koni GC
91 Legacy S.S. FMIC, TD04 (so what?)
90 Legacy wagon (Beater)
92 Loyal monster wagon (EJ22) and 30" tires.
78 BRAT (EJ22T comming)

I blow s@#t up.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Could the heads be warped, not allowing proper seating of the head gaskets? Sounds like the guy didn't know what the hell he was doing. This happened to me and the car drove like that for another 40K (including crosscountry in the summer) before exhibiting overheating issues.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
subafreak
First Gear

Post by subafreak »

I don't think the heads are warped. We use the guy for all the motor and machining work at my shop. He is a really great guy and does good work for us, but for some reason my motor just would not cooperate. Like I said I had him take it apart and recheck everything but it just keeps having the same problem. I just told the guy that I wasn't going to finnish paying for messing up my motor and he understood. But now I just have a block with a problem. I was thinking of going with one of thoes Cobb 2.5 blocks but now I'v been thinking about just sending my block out to someone that knows what there doing and maybe get a stroker kit installed. This would probly be cheaper than a Cobb block and in the end better. Any suggestions on a builder?, the closer to me the better.
90 Legacy wagon (Beater)
78 BRAT (EJ22T comming)

I blow s@#t up.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Sorry man, all I know is domestic V8 guys and even then it's been a few years. Maybe the block has a crack in it. Seems unlikely on a closed deck EJ, but has it been checked with the dye that shows up in the ultraviolet light? (I forget what that's called...bit of a hangover).

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
subafreak
First Gear

Post by subafreak »

Hell I don't know if he dye tested the block but that would piss me off if it was cracked.
90 Legacy wagon (Beater)
78 BRAT (EJ22T comming)

I blow s@#t up.
Ogre
In Neutral

Post by Ogre »

Cracked or warped... or maybe just a blown gasket but I doubt that.
I've had this on an Audi, and the diagnosis was not good. The block was cracked. In a Scooby, I don't know.
www.madogre.com
1992 Legacy L AWD