Rear Main Install

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

realfinn
First Gear

Rear Main Install

Post by realfinn »

So it has come time to work on my winter beater. I noticed a while ago that the rear main was starting to leak...no surprise (200K miles without a leak...I'm happy). But when I replaced the rear main seal on my EJ22T I used the old big socket and hammer trick. It worked but it was still a pain in the ass. Does anyone know of a good installer/remover for the job? Or anything to make the job easier.

THX
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

use the old seal as an installer.

Getting it out uses the same trick as with the crank & cam seals.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Are you sure it's the rear main?

The thing is, it's a rare occasion that a Subaru leaks from the rear main. They leak everywhere else :roll:, but the rear main is not typical.

Make sure it's not the oil pan or something like that.

I don't want you to go through all that work of replacing the rear main, and then finding out that's not your problem.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
realfinn
First Gear

Post by realfinn »

Josh,
Thanks! Never thought of that.

It's definitley the rear main. I dropped the tranny last night. There is oil leaking out as it sits. It looks as if it were pressed in wrong before. Its not pressed in evenly. I know the prev owner had it done at a garage...everything else that garage had touched has had one thing or another wrong with it as well. Like the spark plugs that had been replaced and not tightened down (I turned them out with an extension bar - no ratchet!!) :x
MRtuningCO
First Gear

Post by MRtuningCO »

ask the previous owner when it was done, it may be covered under the shops warranty
realfinn
First Gear

Post by realfinn »

Just a thing I have. I only do my own work. That is unless I need something machined past what my mills and lathe can do. Besides after seeing all the good work they do I wouldn't take it there.
Not that hard of a job anyway since its a fwd. Already have the tranny out.