Is my suspension acting normal? Backend kicks out!

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

n2x4
Fourth Gear

Is my suspension acting normal? Backend kicks out!

Post by n2x4 »

I have a 1990 FWD L, and the backend is unsettled easier than any car I've ever driven. It has a tendency to come out beside me- oversteer?, and the last time it happened I ended up in a 4 wheel slide down the road when I took a corner recommended at 40mph at 60 (well, ended up in the ditch with a broken control arm, but anyways).

Is my Legacy supposed to be like that? As far as suspension work goes, I've replaced front and rear endlinks, GR2 struts all around, and one new trailing link bushing for the rear (it was causing tire wear). I bought new bushings for the rear swaybar's eyelet holes, but haven't gotten to install them yet, getting my car back on the road is my main priority. Anything else I could do to fix this? It used to be fun, but after being in a ditch, it isn't. I don't think I'm pushing the car more than it could handle, I just think something might be wrong. I've done it in several other cars and never had this problem.
SUBARUEHS Racing
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

Check your tire pressures and make sure the rears aren't overinflated and the fronts underinflated?
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

yeah, I was doing some research on oversteer, and read about how too much front pressure can make it occur. I only have air in one front tire, cause the other blew out. Gauge was at 50psi (44psi max for the tire) so it was definately over. I was testing my new Kumho 711's and it drove just like it did with the old crappy tires, so I think there may be more to it, though I'm sure tire pressure plays a part.
SUBARUEHS Racing
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

It's not really possible to diagnose handling balance over the internet since it is so dependent on driver input. I will say that I find our BC-BF's more neutral than other Subarus I've driven. In other words, it's not too hard to create oversteer depending on what inputs you give the car.

So, your car might oversteer in some situations even if nothing is wrong with it. Or, maybe something is broken and it really IS squirrely - I have no idea.

I can tell you that the parts you have chosen are fine. Unless something is broken, those parts should create a good balance. So, the question is: Is something in the car broken or is the problem with the nut behind the wheel?

1) Replacing worn out stuff is a good start.
2) Checking whether you screwed up the install on something is another good start.
3) Last, here's a list of what creates oversteer vs. understeer. It's a very long list of possible culprits!!!
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... did=203801
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Wrong tire pressures and braking in a corner are the most likely culprits.

By the way, you only live 60 miles away from me being in Carrollton. About 1.5 hour drive.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Brat4by4 wrote:Wrong tire pressures and braking in a corner are the most likely culprits.

By the way, you only live 60 miles away from me being in Carrollton. About 1.5 hour drive.
I'm sure I'm mostly to blame. I'd love to take professional driving lessons. I think I need new swaybar mounts for the front bar, after getting everything back together I took it for a drive and it felt really gummy, as if the bar mounts were really giving way.

And only 60 miles away? I'd be up for a mini meet, where in NE O.H. are you? I go to school at stark state in canton, so by the end of the month, I'll be further north every day.
SUBARUEHS Racing
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

n2x4 wrote:I'm sure I'm mostly to blame. I'd love to take professional driving lessons.
Save up $165 and another whatever you need for a tank or two of gas. Beaverun in PA has "flat-out" days where you get almost unlimited lap time and professional driver instruction, its a steal really. I felt like I had scales fall off of my driving eyes after going there. www.beaverun.com - I took my wife this year and we both had a blast.
n2x4 wrote:I think I need new swaybar mounts for the front bar, after getting everything back together I took it for a drive and it felt really gummy, as if the bar mounts were really giving way.
If you come up I can drive your car for you. That sounds more like the tire pressure is too low. Make sure you check those especially if the car starts to feel funny in turns.
n2x4 wrote:And only 60 miles away? I'd be up for a mini meet, where in NE O.H. are you? I go to school at stark state in canton, so by the end of the month, I'll be further north every day.
Canton is even closer and right down the highway from the Kent/Akron area. You would be about a half hour away from me and Snowboarded, another member on the board with a turbo Legacy.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

a little bit of toe out in the rear can really make for some spooky handling on 15 year old bushings.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

scottzg wrote:a little bit of toe out in the rear can really make for some spooky handling on 15 year old bushings.
my 90 FWD has a serious toe out "problem" that has made for a very fun and capable rallycross car.

however, it was damn spooky on icy roads.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Track time sounds like a awesome thing, I'll definately consider it. Toe out could be part of my problem as well, I know one of my rear bushings was bad and made things so loose that going around a turn caused the brake to rub.

I was figuring on an alignment now that I have my control arm replaced, I know I can't get the rear aligned, but maybe they can tell me if it's out of whack.
SUBARUEHS Racing
All_talk
Third Gear

Post by All_talk »

Rear toe is adjustable, and if the tail happiness changes from braking to throttle on (unloading and loading the rear wheels), I'd say rear toe is a likely culprit.

Gary
No matter how broke I am... I always seem to find two cents.