How To: Remove Rear Diff. (fixed pics)

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

How To: Remove Rear Diff. (fixed pics)

Post by AWD_addict »

3-28-07: Pics fixed, what a hassle. They can be viewed larger here

Disclaimer: If you get hurt or break stuff it’s your own damn fault, not mine.

Special tools: 5.5-6mm punch, duck (optional)

The FSM is a good guide already, but it doesn’t have pics. Assuming you’ve already removed the driveshaft, disconnected the downpipe, jacked it up and removed rear wheels, this is what you’ll see.

The exhaust needs to be removed from the 2 rear hangers, the one in front of the muffler, and another way up toward the front. Using a jack to support it can help. Wiggle the rubber hangers, maybe use a pry bar to persuade them off.

Remove the exhaust shield in front of the axle with 4 bolts.
Soak nuts and bolts with PB Blaster to prepare them for removal.

Attempting to drive spring pins out at this point will be frustrating. Do NOT use a ¼ inch punch, it is about 0.5 mm too large and will get stuck.

Remove the lower diff plug to drain the fluid. It’s about 14mm, but a ½ inch extension will work.

It will probably be coating in crap like this.

The fluid may have dark wisps in it. Burned? IDK

Clean up the rear mounting nuts after their Blaster bath, then spray them again. This should be applied to almost every nut and bolt after this.

Do the same to the 8 nuts and bolts at the front of the diff.

Support the diff with a jack and some sort of cradle. Here I used an old piece of wood. The duck and the box are there just in case the diff wasn’t balanced on the wood. Note the punch is still stuck in there. You can remove the 8 nuts and bolts now, as well as the rear mounting nuts. A plate will come off with the front bottom-facing nuts. It is not necessary to remove the 2 farther spaced rear nuts, they are not part of the diff.

This is the hardware from the front of the diff, except for that large bolt and the two nuts below it.

Remove the 3 bolts holding the parking brake cables to the body. This allows enough slack to get the front member out. Loosen the large bolts on the front member. Loosen but do not remove the 2 smaller bolts next to the large ones. Get a friend to hold one side while you remove the 2 smaller bolts on the other side. This releases the plate that holds up the member. With both front sides free, the member is still held in place by 2 brackets going through the diff. Lowering the diff jack will give enough room to remove the brackets, freeing the member. Then you and your friend wiggle the member out past the cables one side at a time. Sorry, I only have “after” pics of this.

These are the member and brake cable bolts. Also the bolts from the exhaust shield (one is broken).

The front member mounts.

The front member.

Front member holding plate.

Now it looks like this.

Removing the axles requires a hammer and a 6mm punch. I found a length of 5.5mm steel rod that I cut down to a reasonable length. It worked great on the left axle spring pin. The axle holes have an obvious chamfer to them on one side. Hammer your punch through the chamfered side.

As mentioned earlier, the ¼ inch punch was still stuck in the right axle. It was far enough in that the spring pin was partially exposed. A hammer, channel locks and anger managed to break the punch, leaving a smaller part of it in the axle. I used a drill to remove the waxy crap in the spring pin, then channel locks to twist it until it was looser in the axle. Then I could grip it with the locks and use the axle for leverage to pull it out. Then the 5.5mm punch went through the axle to smack out the broken ¼ inch piece. Top to bottom: homemade “punches”, busted punch, spring pins.

The nice twin and the evil twin. Notice the bending due to channel lock rotation.

Pins out.

Pull the axles away from the diff, maybe wiggle it side to side a little. It's finally out!

Use some old coat hangers to hold up the dangling axles if you want the car to roll without them dragging.

I hope someone finds this useful, at least one person should benefit from my newfound knowledge not to use a ¼ inch punch.
:smt021

Edit: Chamfer detail added.
Last edited by AWD_addict on Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
90 L+ wgn
Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

Very nice, im looking at doing this soon and this will help without a doubt. Anyone have any ideas for upgrading those front member bushings? Mine look just as beat as the ones in the pictures. I can easily rotate the entire carrier a few degree's each direction off center.
93 SS 5MT - TD05H-16G, 06 TMIC, Walbro, Zeitronix WB-02 - Scrapped too much rust
91 SS AT
97 Outback - Prodrive quick rack, DMS 40
Subaru for Life
First Gear

Post by Subaru for Life »

Thank you sir, for your time and effort. This thread should be stickied for future reference.

I'm doing my FWD to AWD conversion this month, and this will no doubt come in handy.

Thanks in advance,
Pye
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

Threshld1 wrote:Very nice, im looking at doing this soon and this will help without a doubt. Anyone have any ideas for upgrading those front member bushings? Mine look just as beat as the ones in the pictures. I can easily rotate the entire carrier a few degree's each direction off center.
Whiteline KSB751 helps with the fore/aft 'clunk' issue, not sure if it helps with the lateral rotation.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

You're welcome. :)
90 L+ wgn
Fuzzylee
In Neutral

Post by Fuzzylee »

Nice write up. I always wondered what those plastic ducks were for. :D
dwreck30
Second Gear

Post by dwreck30 »

Nice write up, but why remove the front member? I just took out the diff on my car and did not have to remove it.
- Derek
'06 STi
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

What else are those ducks for? :D

The front member removal allows the diff to be moved forward enough for the rear studs to come out. Prying on it without removing the front member gets close, but it wouldn't come free. Did you bend something?
90 L+ wgn
benn
In Neutral

Post by benn »

WOW Thx alot!!! Exactly what i needed!
dwreck30
Second Gear

Post by dwreck30 »

Nope didn't bend anything. I just removed all the bolts holding the diff and pushed it forward. The four bolts holding it on in the front were the hard part.
- Derek
'06 STi
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Maybe your bushings were more worn than mine? I tried that and it wouldn't go that far.
Those 4 bolts in the front really suck because the gas tank doesn't allow enough clearance for a breaker bar. Cleaning them off really well helped a lot.
90 L+ wgn
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

i just put the white line ones in it feels so much better, then the tranny blew up.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

i also did it without removing the front member, although i would have if one of the bolts wasn't seized. I didn't remove the exhaust either, just undid the muffler hangers. That was pure laziness.

don't use an awl to punch the axle pins out!

very very good writeup. I like the paper towel backgrounds.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
MikeC5
First Gear

Post by MikeC5 »

Very good pictures and descriptions. Thanks!
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

scottzg wrote:i also did it without removing the front member, although i would have if one of the bolts wasn't seized. I didn't remove the exhaust either, just undid the muffler hangers. That was pure laziness.

don't use an awl to punch the axle pins out!

very very good writeup. I like the paper towel backgrounds.
I figured the paper towels would work better than a filthy beer splattered garage floor. :lol:
90 L+ wgn
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Bringing back from the dead. I've gotta do this in a few weeks, anyone have any of the pictures saved by chance?
SUBARUEHS Racing
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

I have my pics, but they're not hosted currently. I'll update the OP with them next week when I'm not so busy.
90 L+ wgn
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

AWD_addict wrote:I have my pics, but they're not hosted currently. I'll update the OP with them next week when I'm not so busy.
Woo YeY! I appreciate it. No hurry, like I said, I've got a few weeks yet.

It's really disappointing to search the boards and see how many photos we lost when THAWA stopped his server. It's like a virtual house fire.
SUBARUEHS Racing
gto7419
Second Gear

Post by gto7419 »

n2x4 wrote:
AWD_addict wrote:I have my pics, but they're not hosted currently. I'll update the OP with them next week when I'm not so busy.
Woo YeY! I appreciate it. No hurry, like I said, I've got a few weeks yet.

It's really disappointing to search the boards and see how many photos we lost when THAWA stopped his server. It's like a virtual house fire.
+1 Thanks for taking the time to reupload.
500cc Shifterkart, 125cc Shifterkart, 01 MX5, 93 Legacy Wagon (DIY Turbo)
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

You're welcome.
90 L+ wgn
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Awesome little write up.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
JCNiest5
In Neutral

Post by JCNiest5 »

Exactly what I need for my upcoming project. Just hope I don't lose any hair after I finish.
'91 Legacy EJ22 Auto AWD non-Turbo
JCNiest5
In Neutral

Post by JCNiest5 »

Timewise, how long did it take you to finish yours?

I just got myself a diff from a 94 model. Gonna put it on next week some time. Just wonder how much time I plan to put aside for this. Thanks...
'91 Legacy EJ22 Auto AWD non-Turbo
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

+1 for removing it without removing the front member.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Woody9101
First Gear

Post by Woody9101 »

Wow thanks alot! I was doing this tomorrow or I should say today, need to buy some punches now :/