Legacy Turbo Tranny's Are Good

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

teaguespeed
First Gear

Legacy Turbo Tranny's Are Good

Post by teaguespeed »

there is a user named kHa0S on nasioc who has a legacy turbo transmission in his wrx, i thought it was cool so i pm'd him about it, heres what he said....

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: legacy turbo tranny

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

teaguespeed wrote on 09-28-2003 06:11 PM:
You have a transmission from a legacy turbo in your wrx? What were the reasons for this swap? Do you think its a better/stronger tranny? I just thought it was interesting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, when I converted from an auto tranny after that box broke on me for the second time, price was a pretty big motivator...

I got the legacy turbo gearbox for $100 from a friend. Also, knowing it was a 3.90 axle ratio for the rear (instead of the wacky 3.545 on the WRX box) put me in a better place for a possible STi transmission upgrade in the future.

As for the strength of the box, the gears are case-hardened and shot-peened from the factory, whereas the WRX gears are only case-hardened. The input shaft is a few mm thicker, and the first bearing (at the front of the box) is significantly longer. This should all minimize the input shaft flex that is seen so commonly in the WRX boxes... even if the flex is similar, the gears themselves are stronger.

Everything else in the Legacy Turbo was overengineered (look at the EJ22T closed-deck block for an example), and it appears that the transmission was as well.

/Andrew

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So our trannys are stronger that wrx trannys? Sweet. Thoughts?

Theres a reason we have so much pride in our cars, THEY KICK ASS. I loved reading this cuz i plan on buying another Legacy Turbo next summer, if i can find a good 92-94 5spd.
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

"If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."
subafreak
First Gear

Post by subafreak »

Oh, right..3:54's not 3:45's.
92 SVX 6 speed, 165 shot NOS, Koni GC
91 Legacy S.S. FMIC, TD04 (so what?)
90 Legacy wagon (Beater)
92 Loyal monster wagon (EJ22) and 30" tires.
78 BRAT (EJ22T comming)

I blow s@#t up.
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Woohooo another point for the Legacy's :D

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!