Maf problem?? I stumped subaru can I stump you?? :)

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

waldo320
Second Gear

Maf problem?? I stumped subaru can I stump you?? :)

Post by waldo320 »

Well I got the used maf in yesterday put it in the car and it ran great and then after I drove it for a while it supterd and died. The car will not idol for more than 15 sec the tps iac are all in the stock location still nothing. Next I unplug the maf and the car idols great right were I want it to? So right there it rules out the temp senor right? So right now I do not were to turn other than a brand new maf that I put in my yesterday? Help!
Last edited by waldo320 on Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
One of the crazy's boosting a NA!
14.3 @ 93mph
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Get another MAF. I'm sure someone here on the board has one they're willing to let go cheap.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
quicklook
Second Gear

Post by quicklook »

did you try to reset computer?
waldo320
Second Gear

Post by waldo320 »

Tried reset nothing happend. Also can there be to much air blowing through the maf to break the wires, or what angle the air is comming in the maf at?
14.3 @ 93mph
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

waldo320 wrote:Tried reset nothing happend. Also can there be to much air blowing through the maf to break the wires, or what angle the air is comming in the maf at?
Well, MAF's don't like turbulent air. They can handle pretty high volumes. But, your car is acting just like mine did when the MAF went kaputz.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

which maf did you put in?
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
waldo320
Second Gear

Post by waldo320 »

One form a 92 auto NA legacy.
14.3 @ 93mph
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

what year is your car? do you have the JECs (plastic) or hitachi(aluminim) MAF stock? The hitachis are hot wire and seem to break easily (I broke mine) the jecs is a thin film and seems to work much better. you can swap a jecs for a hitachi with wiring changes, but without changing wiring it will know the wrong maf is there and run like poop.

or, your new one could just be bad.... that's not impossable
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
waldo320
Second Gear

Post by waldo320 »

Im pretty sure that I an jecs black plastic maf with 5 pins and says autoecs on the side of the maf. Could water injection to close to a maf break the maf? My water nozels is down stream of the maf but only by a 4 inches or so. Could that be the probolem it shorted out?
14.3 @ 93mph
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

what year and model is your car?
- Junior
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
waldo320
Second Gear

Post by waldo320 »

94 BC NA auto trans
14.3 @ 93mph
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Get another JECS MAF sensor.

4" should be a fine distance...
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
waldo320
Second Gear

Post by waldo320 »

Well hate to bring up an old topic but my 3rd maf just took a dump. So that is right that is my third maf, so I put a new coolant temp sensor in no change. So I am going to attach some pics to show you what mods I have to do to maf to make it fit and my current blow through set up. Sugestions PLEASE! When it starts it revs to 3000 then dies right away unplug the maf no more problem?

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3326792

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3326791
14.3 @ 93mph
waldo320
Second Gear

Post by waldo320 »

Seriously what would cause me to blow 3 mafs????
14.3 @ 93mph
waldo320
Second Gear

Post by waldo320 »

This is were I am at right now. I have not found the problem I do not know were to turn? What fuse conrtols the maf, and would moving the battery to the trunk cause any grounding problems, and how do I know if I have a bad ecu??? Please leave me some suggestions!
14.3 @ 93mph
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

ahh... you cut the MAF... I ruined one trying to do this. the vibrations from cutting it broke it. make/buy an adapter. That's what I did after I hosed one from cutting.
- Junior
waldo320
Second Gear

Post by waldo320 »

Well I put the new maf on did not cut it at all and the car still does not idol at all I unplug the maf and the car runs great. I checked to make sure power is comming from the harness and it is also I double checked the fuse and it is good. Honestly I have no clue were to turn at all, could the Iac be bad and be casueing these problems? Seriously how could this stump us I am going to talk to subby pro on monday and hopefully they will have some insight.
14.3 @ 93mph
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

how is your system setup? are you running your MAF in blow through? your IAC taps into the intake after the MAF right? Ig you'er running blow though, your PCV also needs to be eliminated from the intake and routed pre turbo. That is actualy the least ideal but unless you add a second PCV valve it's the only way. If not, the PCV system will draw in unmetered air.

You could also have a leak in an IC pipe or a hose loose. It might not be the MAF being bad at all, just that it's not reading the correct amount of air.
- Junior
waldo320
Second Gear

Post by waldo320 »

Yes I am runnin my maf in a blow through, yes my iac is after the maf, and yes the pcv is mounted pre turbo on the intake for the turbo so the air it takes in is probley unmetered. Also I have double and triple checked for boost leaks and even when I blow a coupler the car still does not run as bad as it is now.
14.3 @ 93mph
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

waldo320 wrote:Yes I am runnin my maf in a blow through, yes my iac is after the maf, and yes the pcv is mounted pre turbo on the intake for the turbo so the air it takes in is probley unmetered. Also I have double and triple checked for boost leaks and even when I blow a coupler the car still does not run as bad as it is now.
did you disconnect the PCV from the intake and plug in intake manifold? if not, you're drawing in unmetered air which could be causing your problem.
- Junior
waldo320
Second Gear

Post by waldo320 »

Well the pcv goes from a breather in the intake pipe, then goes to the block were it t's then goes to the pcv valve. How would I fix this problem?
14.3 @ 93mph
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

make the PCV draw from pre turbo only. so the PCV should go from pre turbo to the block and both valve covers only. plug up the PCV valve on the intake manifold.

like I said in my previous post, this is less than ideal, but it alows you to run a blow through MAF
- Junior
waldo320
Second Gear

Post by waldo320 »

No change at all, I also tried a new tps but no change there so ?????
14.3 @ 93mph
waldo320
Second Gear

Post by waldo320 »

I was just doing some research and found that a bad ground can casue some maf problems of running rich. Also if I had a bad ground when I unplug the harness to the maf the ground would not matter would it?
14.3 @ 93mph
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

no, the ground would not matter if it's unplugged... one thing that does tend to go bad is the wiring at the MAF, usualy from tugging when unplugging it. I've had to fix it on a few cars. You might want to test continuity and resistance of the harness from the MAF to the ECU and check the grounds while you're at it.
- Junior