help me

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

The Scooby
Second Gear

help me

Post by The Scooby »

ok, so like 2 weeks ago my front main seal pushed out wore through and started leaking oil REALLY bad, so i stopped driving my car. tonight i pulled it all apart, replaced the front crank seal, lined up the crank so the little arrow was pointing strait up, put the cams up with the green marks to the notches in the timing covers, put tension on the belt, spun the engine over a few times by hand to make sure it was lines up right.

it was so i tried to start it, nothing just cranks, its getting fuel, i hear the pump kicking on and smell it at the exhaust tip. also its getting spark because i pulled a wire and cranked it over watching it spark really strong.

so can anyone help me please, i miss driving my car and its killing me to see it just sit there.
1999 Impreza Outback Sport w/ MY02 WRX complete swap

1986 GL wagon
EJ'ed and Lifted
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Same mistake I made.

Do NOT use the arrow on the front of the crank sprocket. Use the mark on one of the crank sensor teeth on the back of the sprocket.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
The Scooby
Second Gear

Post by The Scooby »

on the back? then how are you soposted to see when its lined up?

1986 GL wagon
EJ'ed and Lifted
realfinn
First Gear

Post by realfinn »

You can still see the mark. The timing teeth are towards the back of the crank timing sprockt. But the mark is on the front of the tooth.
Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

It looks like This At TDC. You can see the notch in the middle of the inductive pickup tooth. The arrow should be 90 deg clockwise at 3-o-clock
93 SS 5MT - TD05H-16G, 06 TMIC, Walbro, Zeitronix WB-02 - Scrapped too much rust
91 SS AT
97 Outback - Prodrive quick rack, DMS 40
The Scooby
Second Gear

Post by The Scooby »

dammit, and of corse the dam tensioner broke so i have to go buy a new one... i hate my life. this car has been nothing but problems since i got it, im just going to sell it after i fix this, and put all my aftermarket parts on my 91 t-leg 5sp im getting

1986 GL wagon
EJ'ed and Lifted
realfinn
First Gear

Post by realfinn »

In that case be sure to let us all know when you decide to sell.

But seriously, don't worry about it. Once you get all of the annoying shit out of the way these cars are awsome. The timing and the leaking seals are really the only pains that I have seen thus far.
The Scooby
Second Gear

Post by The Scooby »

na ive had the car about 9 months now, and have nothing but problems. it rean great until about 6 months ago. fast as hell, then it started acting up, pulling timing which i still havent been able to figure out, the crank seal ordeal etc.

but here and there when it does run perfect i have a permasmile for a few hours.

i just think i would be happier with the 5sp car w/ LSD to build. then if it has problems just buy the sti drivetrain we have at my shop. then go from there.

1986 GL wagon
EJ'ed and Lifted