Question about information in Compendium.

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

R-Inge
In Neutral

Question about information in Compendium.

Post by R-Inge »

Hi,

I'm new here although I have lurked UltimateSubaru for a while. I own a 94 Legacy L wagon and am trying to figure out which rear sway bar to choose for an impending installation. This car has only the front sway bar, and I would imagine at least a 18mm would be nice, although a 20mm seems more tempting. My question is, if I were to install the Eibach springs, which are listed in the compendium, ( http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=2153 )would I want to go with the 20mm rear sway bar or go to the 22? Also, should I upgrade the front bar, just from your experience?

Another question has to do with those same Eibach springs I mentioned. Perhaps I am confused by the chart...well, actually yes I am confused by the chart, lol. It says, "Eibach..........................171 ............................91-188" the two numbers representing front and rear spring rate respectively. My question is, why the spread in the rear spring rate, and from your collective experience would it be best to go with the higher spring rate in the rear or should I go more conservatively since I would hypothetically already have a rear sway bar contributing to neutral handling?

Thanks guys/gals for anything.
~R-Inge
1994 Legacy L Wagon, N/A Spruce Green.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

the rear springs are progressive, so as they're compressed they go from a spring rate of about 91lb/ft to 188. This makes the ride a little softer, and then when you turn in they stiffen up.
R-Inge
In Neutral

Post by R-Inge »

jamal wrote:the rear springs are progressive, so as they're compressed they go from a spring rate of about 91lb/ft to 188. This makes the ride a little softer, and then when you turn in they stiffen up.
Awesome, thanks!
~R-Inge
1994 Legacy L Wagon, N/A Spruce Green.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

i'd prolly go with the 18. If the car is an understeering pig (and you can recognize it as such) try fiddling with the alignment, bushings, and endlinks.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

20mm front and 18mm rear are I think the biggest OEM bars that will work on our cars (although the 26mm tribeca front bar might fit).

For something bigger you're going to have to pay a lot more for Whiteline parts. I just bought a 20mm front bar for $40 and the rear 18mm bar was $50. A whiteline 20mm front bar is $177 and the 20-24 adjustable rear is $200. As far as I know Whiteline is the only company that makes a rear swaybar for our cars.