Now that i have pics.... USDM WRX IC in my legacy turbo

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

FreddexTurbo2Go
In Neutral

Post by FreddexTurbo2Go »

Hey Guys,

I've had a frustrating leaky coolant tank for about a year and now I have a WRX IC to install. Knowing that I needed to move my tank I felt it was time for a new one. I couldn't stand the thought of buying the OEM PLASTIC tank so after looking over a WRX in the show room I decided I would be able to make it work.

So over the weekend I successfully installed the WRX coolant tank! I put mine right between the power steering reservoir and the ABS unit. It's quite a nice fit! I only used one of the mounting holes on the tank and just used a metal plate with a few existing holes and connected it to the OEM screw & hole on the shield that covers the fanbelt.

Now it's time to get the rest of the stuff out of the way for the intercooler.

Fred
2006 Legacy GT sedan
1992 Legacy Sports Sedan
AWD, Turbo, Flat-4 what more can you ask for?
rnljarvis
In Neutral

Post by rnljarvis »

Pictures please!
Ron Jarvis
94 Legacy Turbo Wagon
Richmond, VA
pjgaerlan
In Neutral

WRX coolant tank

Post by pjgaerlan »

Fred,

Did you redo the lines to the coolant tank also? Do you have any pics? If so please email them to me because I'm installing mine this week to get it up an running w/ my saab IC. Then I'm gonna try and refit my WRX intercooler. Thanks for the confirmation of the WRX coolant tank

Please send pics ASAP
I'm picking mine up today.

PJ
pgaerlan@hotmail.com
FreddexTurbo2Go
In Neutral

Sorry guys I don't have any pics!

But I just bought some heater hose and extended the two big coolant lines (the one from the turbo & the one that goes into the engine) by attaching a brass barb (and clamps of course) on the ends of both OEM hoses. Then you just run the new hose to your new location. The WRX tank comes with 1 "S" shaped hose which I attached to the OEM hose from the turbo. This was perfect as it added enough length to the OEM hose to get around the IC and incorporate the WRX OEM coolant rail that is bolted on to the front of the WRX intercooler. This rail splits into a "Y" so I just blocked off one of the two ends on the passenger side (as I only needed one in and one out). Then I ran a new hose from the pass. side of the rail straight into the tank. I hope you guys can follow what I'm talking about. Seeing as my IC is not yet installed I used ties to strap down the coolant rail to the engine.

The two other smaller hoses are a piece of cake! The small OEM hose that goes into the rad is plenty long enough to reach the new tank location. So that only leaves you with the hose that runs to the overflow tank which I ran just under the rest stops for the arm that keeps the hood up.

Fred
2006 Legacy GT sedan
1992 Legacy Sports Sedan
Hondaslayer
In Neutral

Post by Hondaslayer »

That pipe on the I/C is for blow by, not coolant :wink:
2001 Impreza RS-t. Homebrewed turbo kit,10 psi,water injection.Now with anti-lag to preserve freshness!! SOLD!!!
1991 Legacy turbo sedan. Rally prep
2004 Forester XT Stockish
FreddexTurbo2Go
In Neutral

What is blow by? All I know is that I've been using it for the coolant and it's working great!
Fred
2006 Legacy GT sedan
1992 Legacy Sports Sedan
Hondaslayer
In Neutral

Post by Hondaslayer »

The two valve cover breathers go into the side entrances and exit into the intake via the third "exit".Blow bye is oil/exhaust gasses etc that blow by the piston rings.
2001 Impreza RS-t. Homebrewed turbo kit,10 psi,water injection.Now with anti-lag to preserve freshness!! SOLD!!!
1991 Legacy turbo sedan. Rally prep
2004 Forester XT Stockish
FreddexTurbo2Go
In Neutral

Very interesting! That's pretty funny! Now I feel even more proud of my setup as it's completely original! But I did have myself wondering the other day why Subaru would have the HOT coolant running so close to the interCOOLer. But heah it looks good, intercooler still keeps cool and I'm going to add water spray next summer so I'm not worried.
2006 Legacy GT sedan
1992 Legacy Sports Sedan
pjgaerlan
In Neutral

Post by pjgaerlan »

I need help w/ my WRX IC install?? Can't figure out the best way to connect the turbo to the IC?? w/o too many bends. The damn turbo is clocked at a weird angle??

HELP??

Pics please

PJ
p.gaerlan@comcast.net