What size is the axle nut?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

High PSI
First Gear

What size is the axle nut?

Post by High PSI »

Replacing my passenger side axle to fix a torn CV boot. What side is the axle nut? I don't have any sockets big enough, so I'm going to take a trip to sears tonight.

I searched and all I found were horror stories about trying to get the nut off. Looks like I'm in for some fun. :roll: I was going to do both axles and go to beefier FWD pieces, but now it looks like I'm just going to do the passenger side with another AWD piece.
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

37mm if I'm not mistaken.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

32mm.
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Binford wrote:32mm.
32mm is correct. I was mistaken, as I sometimes am.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
High PSI
First Gear

Post by High PSI »

Nice, thanks guys. Off to Sears to pick up a six-point 32mm socket tonight. Hopefully I won't snap it and it'll be my ONLY trip. :wink:
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Soak it up in enough PB Blaster, unstake the nut well enough, and with a long enough breaker bar, it'll go. I've done two without any troubles.
SUBARUEHS Racing
High PSI
First Gear

Post by High PSI »

n2x4 wrote:Soak it up in enough PB Blaster, unstake the nut well enough, and with a long enough breaker bar, it'll go. I've done two without any troubles.
I've been spraying down the nut almost daily with PB Blaster, so I'm hoping it shouldn't be too much of a chore. I'm tackling it tonight, I'll let you all know how it goes. :twisted:
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

Id also give the nut itself a few good sharp taps with a metal hammer(no deadblows or soft mallets) to help break the tension.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
High PSI
First Gear

Post by High PSI »

I took it off last night. It was surprisingly easy. I had my roomate step on the brake (with the car off) while I twisted it off with a braker bar and the end of my jack handle slid over it as a cheater. It came off without too much trouble (the bolts holding my front struts on that I did last winter were much worse). However, the nut looked fairly new, so I think the mechanic who owned the car before me must have done the hard work for me recently.

What else did you guys replace when doing a CV besides the axle, axle nut, and spring pin? Just want to make sure I don't miss any common wear items while I've got the axle out.
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

bump for that last question^
90 L+ wgn