off road/Rally light suggestions needed

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

realfinn
First Gear

off road/Rally light suggestions needed

Post by realfinn »

I see a lot of Subarus with the nice big bright rally lights mounted to the front bumper. I would like to do this for my daily driver since we like to go out in the woods at night every now and then. What do you guys suggest for a set of lights. I want them to be as bright as I can get them without making them stupid big in size. I have also read some posts with people who have had vibration problems after they mount them...I would like to try to avoid this. And I guess, as always...if I can do this without spending $300 it would be great.

Any suggestions would be great!
soloracer
In Neutral

Post by soloracer »

For bang for the buck I recomend the Hella 500's either fog or driving light patterns. About $75 for the pair. Mounting methods are up to you.
90 Legacy Wagon "Beater"
realfinn
First Gear

Post by realfinn »

I'll check the Hella's out.

But, I've pushed my hand a little bit and decided that I can spend a little more cash on these. Its something thats good to have around even if my beater dies. So without spending over $500 is my goal now.

Ideally I would like to turn the night into day when I'm out in between the trees and in the fields at night. I want a noticable difference when I turn the lights on.

Any opinions on the KC 800 HIDs? They have so many different models its hard to choose.

...And will someone explain the advantages and disadvantages of HID vs Halogens?
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

FF1000s are much better than the 500s and are less than $100 shipped from rallylights.com.

Improvements over 500s:
-bigger reflector that is computer designed and more efficient
-sturdier mounting brackets that won't slip
-a lot damn brighter.

I have the 1000s and I love them. For anything better you are spending big bucks on the rallye 4000s or something.

My install thread
realfinn wrote:...And will someone explain the advantages and disadvantages of HID vs Halogens?
HID should only be for off-road use. You can't really just switch them on and off like a halogen bulb.
Last edited by jamal on Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

jamal nailed it. FF series is simply newer, better technology. Reflector design, lens design, mounting, and materials are all better than the 500's. And the deal at rallylights.com is the best one going, as far as I have found.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Hmm I just noticed how you said $500. Consider the rally 3000 and 4000 compact.

Or get more than two lights. My FF1000 driving beams don't look around tight corners very well. A set or pencil and cornering beams would kick ass if you can find room to mount them.

On the other hand I don't know how I would run another set without light pods, or if they were smaller and below the bumper, which is less than optimal but I guess would be okay for cornering.
realfinn
First Gear

Post by realfinn »

I can't seem to find good data on the Hella lamps. Anyone know the candel power for the FF1000, 3000, and 4000? Just wondering how they compare to the KC 800's.