spooling up a td06 20g with a ej22t

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

c32b
In Neutral

spooling up a td06 20g with a ej22t

Post by c32b »

would like to know if anyone here can help me with my examination of full boost charateristic of a td06 20g. i'm running an ej22t and i'll be pulling about 1.4 bar of boost. by my estimates i'll be full spooling at about 4.5-4.7k rpms. anyone can concur on my calculations? of course this is approximate depending on head flow, exhaust , cams etc but would appreciate your comments.
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Dare I ask why you are looking at that turbo?
The problem with that turbo in the 22t is that our 2.2 engine is meant for low end grunt, not top end ( as seen by the SOHC heads and their restrictions) So unless you plan on changing the heads, I would consider a turbo that spools sooner
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
c32b
In Neutral

Post by c32b »

dscoobydoo wrote:Dare I ask why you are looking at that turbo?
The problem with that turbo in the 22t is that our 2.2 engine is meant for low end grunt, not top end ( as seen by the SOHC heads and their restrictions) So unless you plan on changing the heads, I would consider a turbo that spools sooner
Hi, no worries about the question. its just that i have a ver4 wrx head on it now. just wondering about revving up this motor.
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

Well if you plan on putting the turbo on despite what people say in this thread I'd say just hook it all up and run it, get some kind of datalogging system that will record your boost and rpm. Thats the only way to get a definate answer I think.

If you want, here is a link for a TD06 compressor map: http://www.ztechz.net/id7.html

Just scroll down a little bit.

Are you using math to calculate that its gonna spool up around 4.5k rpm-4.7k rpm
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Since you changed out the heads, you obviously dealt with that issue.

I would hop on over to NASIOC and check out the STI people that have gone to that turbo and read up. That will be your best source for information.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

You shouldnt have too much of a problem spooling it. It'll probably hit somewhere around 4.5k rpm in first gear without a launch. That's pretty similiar to mine. As for low end grunt. I have the EJ22t heads with reground cams from delta camshaft and the car has no lack of power at redline. In fact it would probably benefit from a 7.5rpm rev limit.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

dont sweat it. just go for the gusto. become the person who answers the question instead of the one that asks it
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
c32b
In Neutral

Post by c32b »

Imprezive wrote:Well if you plan on putting the turbo on despite what people say in this thread I'd say just hook it all up and run it, get some kind of datalogging system that will record your boost and rpm. Thats the only way to get a definate answer I think.

If you want, here is a link for a TD06 compressor map: http://www.ztechz.net/id7.html

Just scroll down a little bit.

Are you using math to calculate that its gonna spool up around 4.5k rpm-4.7k rpm
cross referenced a map for a twin turbo 3000gt and ran some additional cc in the math to get my estimation. also, most 2.0 i know running that 06 20g hit 1.4 bar just b4 5000 rpms so i'm guessing with 10% more cc i'll get there 5-10% earlier? reasonable assumption?
c32b
In Neutral

Post by c32b »

dzx wrote:You shouldnt have too much of a problem spooling it. It'll probably hit somewhere around 4.5k rpm in first gear without a launch. That's pretty similiar to mine. As for low end grunt. I have the EJ22t heads with reground cams from delta camshaft and the car has no lack of power at redline. In fact it would probably benefit from a 7.5rpm rev limit.
thanks dude. the thing is with ver 4 heads i have a lower compression ratio. wonder how much that will affect my spoolup?
c32b
In Neutral

Post by c32b »

dzx wrote:You shouldnt have too much of a problem spooling it. It'll probably hit somewhere around 4.5k rpm in first gear without a launch. That's pretty similiar to mine. As for low end grunt. I have the EJ22t heads with reground cams from delta camshaft and the car has no lack of power at redline. In fact it would probably benefit from a 7.5rpm rev limit.
sounds wicked at 4.5 rpms. i have a ver4 head on so compression might be down a bit to maybe 8:1. think it will have any significant increase in lag? if its 100 rpm or so it wont matter to me tho.
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

I doubt you'd notice much, have you installed the heads yet? do you know the volume of them?
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
c32b
In Neutral

Post by c32b »

Imprezive wrote:I doubt you'd notice much, have you installed the heads yet? do you know the volume of them?
the heads are on, unfortunately this is a hand me down from the previous owner but i do know for sure that its a bone stock ver 4 wrx head. so i'm guessing the head volume might be about 50cc?

the wiseco pistons i have are supposed to raise CR to 8.5 : 1 on a stock ej22t. i'll gain cc on the head but lose it on the dish volume so i think close to 8:1 should be a fair guess.

would i be right about the cc of the ver 4 head?
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I don't think your compression is going to make that much a difference. I always believed the turbo legacy's had an 8:1 compression anyway for the older ones.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
c32b
In Neutral

Post by c32b »

dzx wrote:I don't think your compression is going to make that much a difference. I always believed the turbo legacy's had an 8:1 compression anyway for the older ones.
hi, i was under the impression that compression being higher might allow spool up slightly quicker? ej22t standard is 8 but with wisecos meant for that engine i'm thinking it might be 8.5. then i realised that the head was a ver 4 which actually has more cc than a legacy head so i might be back to 8 again. hehe
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

I'd be worried of those pistons coming in contact with the valves maybe???

Like I said before, I really don't think you'd notice much of a spool time improvement by bumping your comp ratio to 8.5:1 its only a .5 difference, and unless you are building a race car, it wont matter much at all.

You should tear the bottom end apart and rebuild it so you can rev it higher. :D
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
c32b
In Neutral

Post by c32b »

Imprezive wrote:I'd be worried of those pistons coming in contact with the valves maybe???

Like I said before, I really don't think you'd notice much of a spool time improvement by bumping your comp ratio to 8.5:1 its only a .5 difference, and unless you are building a race car, it wont matter much at all.

You should tear the bottom end apart and rebuild it so you can rev it higher. :D
I think it will clear pretty well cos i'm running a 1.3mm gasket just that its metal. I dont think i want to head to 8.5 just for the sake of the number, having 8 or just under 8 will be decent i think. I'd rather leave the car the way it is as long as its a reliable build which it is pretty much is. I also get 30+mpg so thats a bonus.
I just want enough power to keep up a little on straights, a good mid end punch, flexibility in rpms from 4500-7200/7500 for power in that range and the engine part is worked out. i'm more a handling kind of guy actually so getting it right enginewise will save money for my ferodos, project mu's and a048s >:)
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

sounds like a sweet build. I deffinately need a little more oommphhfff with my car...*saving for a td05h*
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
c32b
In Neutral

Post by c32b »

Imprezive wrote:sounds like a sweet build. I deffinately need a little more oommphhfff with my car...*saving for a td05h*
make it a 20g! :twisted:
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

In the far far future 20g heads will probably be the ticket. :P
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
legacymax
Second Gear

Post by legacymax »

C32b is right, with a lower compression, you are going to receive more lag, especially on a 20g, but you went to a higher compression piston which is good. Now, even if the cr was the same say 8.0:1 which the wrx and turbo legacies both had stock, you are going to see less ft-lbs torque at a lower rpm because of a the much larger port and value size(ej22t heads use ej18 intake valves) of the WRX heads. 4000rpm peak torque in the ver 4 wrx compared to 2800 rpm in stock t-legacy. This is because of displacement also, but i believe that head port size and value also contributes to this. I personnal wouldn't use a 20g, i like having more of a canyon car with quick response. I believe that a well tuned ej22t w/wrx heads and a EVO III 16g can be just a fast as a ej22t w/wrx heads and 20g and much more drivable at the same time. Unless you have anti-lag that is. :lol: But if you have the means, try it and tell us how it goes, you can always find a rich kid with an STi who wants a gaint turbo.
-Max
94 legacy Silver Touring Wagon now w/ 5spd, Ground Controls, ej20g, rear VLSD, td05, and edms.
95 impreza Rally car. 3.0 H6
88 Toyota fj62 OME lift.
c32b
In Neutral

Post by c32b »

legacymax wrote:C32b is right, with a lower compression, you are going to receive more lag, especially on a 20g, but you went to a higher compression piston which is good. Now, even if the cr was the same say 8.0:1 which the wrx and turbo legacies both had stock, you are going to see less ft-lbs torque at a lower rpm because of a the much larger port and value size(ej22t heads use ej18 intake valves) of the WRX heads. 4000rpm peak torque in the ver 4 wrx compared to 2800 rpm in stock t-legacy. This is because of displacement also, but i believe that head port size and value also contributes to this. I personnal wouldn't use a 20g, i like having more of a canyon car with quick response. I believe that a well tuned ej22t w/wrx heads and a EVO III 16g can be just a fast as a ej22t w/wrx heads and 20g and much more drivable at the same time. Unless you have anti-lag that is. :lol: But if you have the means, try it and tell us how it goes, you can always find a rich kid with an STi who wants a gaint turbo
-Max
i suppose the kind of route i am looking to go quick in will not be too far off from a canyon road. However, when i drive at the place i go, i dont see my revs falling below 4500rpms. Mostly it is around 5-5500rpms so i think the response of what a 20g might do, say 4500rpms will be quite ok in this respect perhaps with some reserve revs as well. In time to come, i'll probably do a bit of track work so perhaps something straddling the two will be good. I suppose the 20g is what i want but whether its a td05 or td06 housing, will be decided closer to the swop.