EJ22 build again! Mad as hell :( What boost to run??

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

c32b
In Neutral

EJ22 build again! Mad as hell :( What boost to run??

Post by c32b »

Thank you guys for helping me out so much with previous ej22t tech stuff.

UNFORTUNATELY................

It is an n/a EJ22! with some block guards. I only found out when i tore it down in the shop with a leaky head gasket. I'm really upset cos I was hoping for the reliability of the closed deck.

Worst thing is my turbo housing says VF37 but is some kinda hybrid internally so i'm lost as to whats going on for it.

Now I have 96.9mm Wiseco's on it but i'll assume the crank and rods are stock. Compression is healthy

Heads are from a ver 4 wrx and stock. condition is good. Running a 1.3mm metal gasket, anyone got a clue wat my compression is?

Scary part is bearings for timing belt have been modified to be adjustable in two areas (apparently running the belt off that might give unstable ignition timing) but thankfully my mechanic knows what he's doing and is changing everything back to keep my ignition more stable.

Sigh....Now i need to know what kinda boost I shoudl run for longevity to ensure I dont mess up the probably weaker conrods.

Any suggestions?
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

NA and Turbo rods/crank are the same.....

I have made 250 whp on stock NA shit.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
c32b
In Neutral

Post by c32b »

douglas vincent wrote:NA and Turbo rods/crank are the same.....

I have made 250 whp on stock NA shit.
they are the same? hmmmm.... wat sort of boost would be friendly enough? i'm thinking of running 18-20 psi and keeping it there. i guess i will have to shelve plans for a higher boost then sigh
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

depends on elevation and fuel and such. I ran 19psi for a while and when I took the engine apart there were no signs of detonation. Some dirt got in the oil though and ruined a rod bearing.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
c32b
In Neutral

Post by c32b »

dzx wrote:depends on elevation and fuel and such. I ran 19psi for a while and when I took the engine apart there were no signs of detonation. Some dirt got in the oil though and ruined a rod bearing.
i see...well i'm at sea level and i always run 98 RON. i have a standalone ecu and usually my a/f runs pretty conservative. timing is slightly less than commonly used for longevity sake. so generally u think its ok to run the levels i want eh?
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

If you're tuned for it you shouldnt have a problem. I was just running the stock ecu. If i was at sea level though I'm sure it would be getting detonation.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I am going to shoot for 20 psi once I get a turbo fabbed up. :twisted:

I am running 7.5-1 compression but still on the open block......
c32b
In Neutral

Post by c32b »

douglas vincent wrote:I am going to shoot for 20 psi once I get a turbo fabbed up. :twisted:

I am running 7.5-1 compression but still on the open block......
sounds wicked. what kinda of 1/4 do u think i'll get? 2.2 with 20-21psi? i have my car weight to abt 2500lbs but my gearing is the 3.9.
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

low 13's with stock heads. Switch to better heads and high 12's if not better.
c32b
In Neutral

Post by c32b »

douglas vincent wrote:low 13's with stock heads. Switch to better heads and high 12's if not better.
hmm...thats all? gee, i was hoping low 12's with maybe 380 on tap sigh.
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Well,
You have got to remember that psi is not some sort of universally transferable thing. 20psi on a 16g is different than 20psi on a 20g which is different than 20psi on Douglas' supercharger. It's about CFM's and not the actual pressure...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
c32b
In Neutral

Post by c32b »

Matt Monson wrote:Well,
You have got to remember that psi is not some sort of universally transferable thing. 20psi on a 16g is different than 20psi on a 20g which is different than 20psi on Douglas' supercharger. It's about CFM's and not the actual pressure...
oops, i didnt know he was running an SC. yeah its about the CFMs indeed. Now i'm looking around for a VF37 flow map to figure out what i'm running proper. I hate mechs who mess up setups! If he at least ran a proper VF i could have an idea what sort of boost to run etc.
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

pressure from different compressors will be different, but CFM is not the right term. CFM is a measure of volume flow. What you want is a measure of density, which would be Lbs. or grams along with an indicator of volume. the result is density, normaly measured in kg/m^3 or lbs/in^3 this takes into account the temperature pressure and volume of the resulting gases.
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
c32b
In Neutral

Post by c32b »

sammydafish wrote:
pressure from different compressors will be different, but CFM is not the right term. CFM is a measure of volume flow. What you want is a measure of density, which would be Lbs. or grams along with an indicator of volume. the result is density, normaly measured in kg/m^3 or lbs/in^3 this takes into account the temperature pressure and volume of the resulting gases.
yeah thats probably more accurate. thankfully i got myself one of those calculators that allow me to input density related information so the resultant lb/min flow will come out pretty spot on hehe.

thks for the headsup tho