coolant leak at rear of engine

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jefferson
Third Gear

coolant leak at rear of engine

Post by jefferson »

I need help with a coolant leak that is dripping off the center of the cross brace behind the oil pan and I have coolant at the drivers side rear corner of the oil pan. I have spent several hrs underneath and above with mirrors and the whole works but can not find where this is coming from. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I would check the heater hose lines, and the lines going to the turbo.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I have checked the lines to the heater core and I thought about the lines to the turbo but haven't been able to suss them out as of yet. I was afraid there was going to be a freeze plug or some such on the back of the drivers side cyl. bank that was corroded through. The car has over 200,000 on it an hasn't seen the best of care. Far from it actually. I hope I don't live to regret getting this car. I just keep finding more and more issues.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
redlineracer
First Gear

Post by redlineracer »

I have the same similar problem...I cant pinpoint it either. I checked the filler canister not the one overflow canister and felt that it was kinda wet but thats not it. I also thought it was my water pump but I dont know if its that even. I know I dont have any head gasket failure cause its dripping around the cylinder head. Sometimes it would be on the center crossmember or on my oil pan. Isnt the heater core on the passenger side? Im suspecting that I might have a faulty hose or filler canister that might be the culprit cause those filler canisters go quite deep into the engine bay. If I find it I'll let you know.
-1992 Legacy AWD Wagon-

"Leave it up to a Subaru to pull your friend with a Ford out of the mud when he gets stuck!"

Total Pullouts out of the mud or sand:
Subaru - 0 * Ford - 14 * Chevy - 2 * Dodge - 3
redlineracer
First Gear

Post by redlineracer »

Ok I ound the leak the rail that runs underneath the intake to make the coolant run to the otherside. The gaskets on it are bad and leaks spurratically. Check them out and let me know!
-1992 Legacy AWD Wagon-

"Leave it up to a Subaru to pull your friend with a Ford out of the mud when he gets stuck!"

subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

Had a very similer leak, turned out the notorious plastic coolant tank had a hairline crack on the back side. It leaked just enough to not notice when looking at the tank itself but the car was always dripping from the crossmember/rear of engine.
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I was really suspecting that too, but if it is leaking I have been unable to find it. Now I have a much worse leak at the front by the water pump that I need to get on. It was going on the same time I had the leak at the rear, but now it is really broke loose. I don't see any way they are related, but who knows.

Jeff
redlineracer
First Gear

Post by redlineracer »

I found out that it was the gaskets on the coolant rail that goes atop the motor underneath the intake mani. Find out if its those gaskets. If it is then you will see little puddles on top of ur block. Mine is starting to get a more steady leak so I am going to have to pull apart the intake mani and all the hoses sometime this week.
-1992 Legacy AWD Wagon-

jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I defineatly have a leak going on at the pump and can't see any way that the coolant could make it to the rear of the engine from that, but I am beginning to think that is what is going on. The first thing to do I guess is get the leak fixed at the pump and see if it takes care of the rest.

Jeff
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Just an update on the leak. A new water pump took care of all the leaks on the car. It was coming out the weep hole in the rear of the pump and somehow was dripping off the back of the motor, or at least that is where the biggest amount of dripping was going on. I still don't know how it made its way back there. Used a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water with some water wetter in the mix too. No more leaks and the car is running great. I also plugged up some paths of least resistance so the air has to go though the radiator now instead of around it. Got so much dirt and rocks out of the radiator that it almost plugged up my drain, well not really but you get the idea. Lots and lots of crud in the rad. Should be good to go for this summer now.

Jeff
Stormer
In Neutral

Post by Stormer »

Congrats. I was replacing my water pump this weekend, too. :)

The weep hole seems to exit someplace behind the timing belt covers, but I didn't take mine off to track down where. Anybody else know? I know on my car, coolant was collecting and running off around the middle of the driver's side of the oil pan. Looked horrible, but turned out to be not so bad.
chayesfss
In Neutral

Post by chayesfss »

Yep, mine is also doing this. I followed the leak along the drivers side oil pan lip all the way to the water pump. Amazing that this is the only place I saw that people have seen the same type of leak (right over the cross member leaking in the center) and only seem to post about it on Legacycentral! I'm pulling the whole front off the engine again, I just replaced this pump not 7 months ago, time to find that recipt!
ej22t kid
First Gear

Post by ej22t kid »

my car is over heating and there are no apparent leaks, i swapped in a new td05 16g and drained the system of oil and coolant. i filled everything backup and it started over heating.

i thought it could just have some air bubbles so i let it run until the thermostat opened mean while little bubble of air kept rising finally the line from the turbo just started to boil so I turned off the engine and replaced the lost coolant. all my efforts were to no avail as it still over heats.

Why does my car hate me?
(91 turbo sleeper to be)- RIP

I miss my legacy :(
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

ej22t kid wrote:my car is over heating and there are no apparent leaks, i swapped in a new td05 16g and drained the system of oil and coolant. i filled everything backup and it started over heating.

i thought it could just have some air bubbles so i let it run until the thermostat opened mean while little bubble of air kept rising finally the line from the turbo just started to boil so I turned off the engine and replaced the lost coolant. all my efforts were to no avail as it still over heats.

Why does my car hate me?
did ya plug your fans in? stupid question i know, but it happends to all of us
-93 2.2T (RIP), 93 N/A best car on earth.
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
ej22t kid
First Gear

Post by ej22t kid »

yes the fans are pluged in. I was at my Bros house and he did a test that included a funnel in the coolent tank and it turns out the head gasket is blown. what funn i will have changing both this next week. yah :(
(91 turbo sleeper to be)- RIP

I miss my legacy :(
Lusus3
In Neutral

Post by Lusus3 »

Funny. Im new here and was going to say that its your water pump. Mine is toast and I have coolant everywhere down there. The fans apparently like to kick the stuff all over. I guess it doersnt help that I drive her like shes in heat