Need advice on a boost spike!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

c32b
In Neutral

Need advice on a boost spike!

Post by c32b »

Hi dudes, merry xmas to all!

I didnt have such a fabulous xmas for my motor having spiked twice to 2 bar! when my setting was only 1.4bar thanks to a silicone hose attached to my turbo with a penchant for coming loose GRRRR My exhaust temps even went to 1000deg C so i'm really worried!!!

Very anxious to know if anything has gone wrong. Checked my dipstick for metal bits but nothing to be found. Idling seems ok and a trip to the mech also didnt come out to show for anything. Havent taken plugs out for a peek but seeing as they have to be changed some time, i'll do that soon.

Any morsels of wisdom to share regarding diagnosing problems/damage resulting from the spike?
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I'd say if you don't hear any noises and don't notice any change in the engine's performance, then you probably got away with it.

I'm guessing you're using an MBC, and not much of a fancy one. Unfortunately, boost spikes/creeps/etc. are the side effects of using Home Depot-style MBCs.

I'm going to let others chime in though, I don't claim to be a turbo expert.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
c32b
In Neutral

Post by c32b »

subyluvr2212 wrote:I'd say if you don't hear any noises and don't notice any change in the engine's performance, then you probably got away with it.

I'm guessing you're using an MBC, and not much of a fancy one. Unfortunately, boost spikes/creeps/etc. are the side effects of using Home Depot-style MBCs.

I'm going to let others chime in though, I don't claim to be a turbo expert.
Actually i'm using a blitz MBC but the hose popped out and even after a zip tie went in it just popped out again...been alright since i clamped the bugger down to the turbo tho. hmmm...i am hoping for a lucky escape!

(btw u folks here are about the friendliest lot in most of the forums i've come to know cheers! :lol: )