glow guage install

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LEAVINALEGACY93
In Neutral

glow guage install

Post by LEAVINALEGACY93 »

hey i have 93 leggy turbo has any one installed white face guages , with pics or step by step instructions would be awesome
MR2NortE
In Neutral

you mean the whole guage cluster

Post by MR2NortE »

or some call it the instrument cluster?
If I was bonking your missus in my subbie, which would purrr louder? Does it matter?
LEAVINALEGACY93
In Neutral

Post by LEAVINALEGACY93 »

yes i guess some do , or speedometer

plastic guage overlays that light up when u plug them in , instead of ugly bluck dull guages , there new white guages
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

we've covered this pretty well already, and if you search, (and you should) you will find that very few of us have done that mod. -- with good reason, too!
I'd wager a guess that those fancy white faced gauges you have illuminate blue, also, no good.
are the stock gauges not good enough for you?
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
92whitelegacy
Second Gear

Post by 92whitelegacy »

92 ss 275k+mi, kartboy shifter/bushings, gauges. VRG3 FCD II, NGK I'4s, TDO5-16G 4" dp CAT-less 3"tbe 4.11 gears.
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

That's an excellent amount of glare. I hope your eyes adjust focus slowly and you react too late. :roll:
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[/quote]
92whitelegacy
Second Gear

Post by 92whitelegacy »

its actually not glary at all. bad picture from a shitty camera phone.its bright, yea but its not glary
92 ss 275k+mi, kartboy shifter/bushings, gauges. VRG3 FCD II, NGK I'4s, TDO5-16G 4" dp CAT-less 3"tbe 4.11 gears.
redlineracer
First Gear

Post by redlineracer »

Where did you get those glow gauges at? I've been looking all over the place for them especially ebay but I found nothing please let me know!
-1992 Legacy AWD Wagon-

"Leave it up to a Subaru to pull your friend with a Ford out of the mud when he gets stuck!"

Total Pullouts out of the mud or sand:
Subaru - 0 * Ford - 14 * Chevy - 2 * Dodge - 3
MPtyza
Second Gear

Post by MPtyza »

I believe procarparts.com carries them. I was looking for them when I first got my SS, but decided against it.
-Mike

White 1988 XT6 FWD 5MT (#2) 229k
Rio Red 1991 Legacy SS 180k :( - Dead
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

yeah dude we ALL looked for them. . . if you don't have too much trouble installing them, then I bet they're okay. . . . other than that, I will lay some vikash-wisdom on your ass and refer you to the color spectrum -- take a look at the wavelengths of the colors, particularly blue.
blue, being furthest in the color spectrum of the basic colors, has one of the longer color wavelengths. its this long wavelength that holds your eyes' focus longer than other colors.

by contrast, red has a short wavelength and releases your focus quicker. I'll argue that most, if not all true sporting cars have red colored gauges.
I bet that didn't make sense, but I'm still right. :)
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[/quote]
turboleg
Second Gear

Post by turboleg »

tris91ricer wrote: by contrast, red has a short wavelength and releases your focus quicker. I'll argue that most, if not all true sporting cars have red colored gauges.
LOL...yeah, pontiac went to all red gages for a while. Not sure if there still using em or not. Without using the dimmer they drove my eyes nuts at night time.
- Findlay
"You say grease monkey like its a bad thing"
http://www.toolsource.com
Hondasucks
In Neutral

Post by Hondasucks »

Where'd you get 'em without the auto trany indicator cutout in the middle? The set that I got, that never worked, had the cutout in the middle for the shift indicator, which I don't have since my legacy is a 5 speed...
1990 Legacy LS wagon, FT4WD 5MT
1987 GL Turbo wagon, DR4WD 5MT
1992 Dodge Ram 4WD Turbodiesel 4AT
1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan 4AT :(
1992 SVX LS-L
92whitelegacy
Second Gear

Post by 92whitelegacy »

we trimmed the black overlay piece to work over top the white gauges(thus why it doesnt looks so gay)
HellBinder
First Gear

Post by HellBinder »

that looks awsome.
Im putting my gauges in my glove box, so i can hide them at night or when i park, i dont like the idea of 5 gauge pods on the dash. giving theives the opportunity
my GTI, 240sx and delsol all had the gauges out on the pillar and dash and it was more of a distraction to me (also A.D.D., but isent everybody?) than helpful
It just made more sense to me, i only realy ever used them when pushing the car really hard or working on it, or if it started running crappy.
If i had the guts to cut holes in my RHD dash i might lay them in if i could angle them correctly.
Horsepower is horsepower, the label on the box doesnt matter.
94 RHD wagon,WRX swap.HKS,Blitz, ACT and a Tape player!
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

tris91ricer wrote:yeah dude we ALL looked for them. . . if you don't have too much trouble installing them, then I bet they're okay. . . . other than that, I will lay some vikash-wisdom on your ass and refer you to the color spectrum -- take a look at the wavelengths of the colors, particularly blue.
blue, being furthest in the color spectrum of the basic colors, has one of the longer color wavelengths. its this long wavelength that holds your eyes' focus longer than other colors.

by contrast, red has a short wavelength and releases your focus quicker. I'll argue that most, if not all true sporting cars have red colored gauges.
Tris...

Blue has one of the shortest wavelengths in the visible spectrum (500nm). Red has the longest (700nm). Visual sharpness has little to do with wavelength. Yellowish Green is the most advantageous color for vision and provides the best contrast at night. Red is used because it doesn't disturb the cones in your eyes as much as other colors do. The cones (I think) are primarily responsible for night vision, so by making the gauges a color that doesn't disrupt the cones in your eyes, you reduce eye fatigue at night, improve distance vision, and improve concentration when aggresively driving because you reduce distracting light that causes your eyes to glance down. Violet can be used in a similar manner (a la VW) but red is more efficient than violet. VW gauges are violet and red, good design move IMO.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Actually, it's the rods that are responsible for night vision. They take longer to fully adjust to darkness than the cones (30 minutes versus 10 minutes).

The rods don't react at all to red light, so it doesn't effect your rods adapting to the night. Since the rods don't pick up on it, though, you need more of it to be able to see something.

Also, apparently, there are 3 different types of cones, each designed to pick up on a different part of the visible spectrum.

Straight out of my brother's Senses and Perception textbook.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I knew it was one or the other. I was guessing on the cones.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]