STi Suspension on a 90 Legacy

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

1LEGacyUP
In Neutral

STi Suspension on a 90 Legacy

Post by 1LEGacyUP »

I have a 90 LS AWD Sedan. I'm looking at putting in US 04 STI Or JDM 03 STI Struts and springs complete. This is what I understand.

I can install the front's as complete assemblys.

For the rear's I can, A. use my 90' top mounts

B. use the STI mounts but file 3/8 in the top of the tower

That the 04sti's should lower the car about 1" And the JDM about an 1 1/2 to 1 3/4.

Is this correct? And to anyone that has done this, how do you like it?
Last edited by 1LEGacyUP on Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

thawa, jamal, and brat4by4 have done this, and it takes some creativity. the rear suspension has a different roll center on later imprezas, and so sti struts give the rear positive camber.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
1LEGacyUP
In Neutral

Post by 1LEGacyUP »

I have the WhiteLine Adjustable rear links. (all 4)
Would that help?
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

nope, if you make the links long enough to compensate for the struts, your wheels will not fit in the wheel wells.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
1LEGacyUP
In Neutral

Post by 1LEGacyUP »

" Things that make you go Hmmm!"
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I really like my setup, but it takes a lot more than getting the rears to fit to make it work. I should probably update my thread about the install since I've done a few things since then. Or I could make a new one that summarizes the important points I guess.

The big problem comes because of the different track width of the 02+ Impreza sedan. the suspension geometry is a bit different and because of it you get less negative camber. Negative camber is necessary because in a corner the body rolls and you want to keep the tire flat on the ground for maximum grip.

At first I had a maximum of -0.7 degrees camber up front and somewhere around 0 or slightly positive negative camber in the rear. That's not nearly enough for actual good handling, and I ended up toasing the outsides of my last set of tires.

So now to compensate, I have a total of 6 cammed bolts: Aftermarket intrax in two of the rear holes, the stock bolts up front, and additionally I drilled the bottom holes of my front knuckles and milled out my struts to put in another set of OEM bolts up front. Now I've got enough negative camber for awhile, which is about -2 up front and -1.5 in the rear.

Unless you want to do something like that or buy camber plates, It's not worth it to do new STi suspension.

You are better off getting a 93-01 Impreza specific setup because it bolts right in and you won't have camber issues. There are a few options, from KYB GR2s with some whiteline springs to a set of coilovers. It all depends on your budget, and what you're looking for as far as handling and confort.
Last edited by jamal on Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1LEGacyUP
In Neutral

Post by 1LEGacyUP »

:shock: Uhh yea that sounds like a bunch of fun....

Sure am glad I triple checked. Well I was thinking of going with the Gr-2s and H&R sport springs a year ago but I didnt want to spend that much.

Thanks for your help :)

Chris

" It's always better to measure twice and cut once."
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Yeah, camber is an issue, but its still fun though.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)