Turbodog

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

BAC5.2

Turbodog

Post by BAC5.2 »

I was in New Orleans last February, and saw a t-shirt for something called Turbodog Ale.

I had never seen it, and wanted to try it because of the cool name.

The other day, my girlfriend and I were at Whole Foods, and the one we were at had alcohol. All kinds of really cool beers (including Pacifico, the greatest beer ever).

They had Turbodog ale, and a beer called Grolsch.

I got both.

The Grolsch is a nice lager. Tasty. I'd recommend it. Plus, the bottles are awesome. Kind of expensive though, $9.99US for a 4-pack of Pints.

The Turbodog lives up to its namesake. It's badass. It's made by Abita beer corp, if you want to look for it. Good price, $6.99 for a 6-pack of longnecks.

It's DARK, but not as heavy as most dark beers. I really enjoy it. I'm drinking it right now.

Plus, the name is awesome.

Next time i'm in LA, I'm getting a t-shirt and sticker.

Anyone else have any good non-mainstream beers to try?

I've stopped drinking to get drunk. It's pretty ignorant, and I've been trying to be healthier lately. I'm all about taste and texture. I'm really really big on wine nowadays too. I've had some great wines lately.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Fishy
First Gear

Post by Fishy »

I'm with you 100% on the not-drinking-to-get-drunk. I can't be bothered to do that. In fact my friends and I have started having an yearly international beer festival. Because we're mostly computer nerdy folks and we hold the festival right around Christmas each year (to catch people home for the holiday) we've named it Geekbrau Decemberfest.

I've still got our "results" from the last one posted to my blog (told you we were nerds). Have a look and read our thoughts on the 17 different beers we tried this year!

I think my personal favorite from the night was McEwan's Scotch Ale.

Have a look/read: http://mvgrafx.ath.cx/~fishy/
94 legacy wagon - ej22T awd
99 legacy wagon - ej22 awd
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Man, you get raped on Grolsch...

I get it at Winco for $1.80 a pint...in the cool bottle!!!
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

I found an empty Grolsch bottle in my yard once. Never actually tried the stuff before. Then again, when I don't want to drink, I drink beer. I'm a scotch guy.

Ron White rules!
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

turbo dog and all the abita beers are some of my personal favorite... mmmm
93 White Legacy Turbo Wagon: For Sale-ish
93 White Turbo Sedan: soon with a little more umf
91, funky brown purple gray color, legacy L Wagon: the "its so cheap i cant not pass it up" purchase to get me around when the others are down
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

No way! $1.80 a pint? I'm gonna have to find somewhere else to get it. That's a good price.

The Turbodog was cheap enough.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
0perose
Third Gear

Post by 0perose »

don't drink "hog heaven" although it is more of a barley wine than a beer it is gross :(
yo mang, can I get a rootshell?

1991 N/A, 4eat, crazy lights, junk suspension, sticker wagon
1989 xt6 work in progress
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

trader joe's has grolsch by the hugeasskegcan out here for like 20$, and pacifico is sold by the case at costco, which would be great if i could stand the stuff. They muct be west coast distributors.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

How can you not like Pacifico? It's corona, but better!

jilo860
First Gear

Post by jilo860 »

grolsch rules i use that shit for a water bottle now too
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

jilo860 wrote:grolsch rules i use that shit for a water bottle now too
Tight.

I just saw some dude who brews chili beer on TV the other night. I.E. hot freaking chilis made into beer. It supposedly tastes pretty good (and hot too). Might have to track down some o' this stuff to go with my bomb-diggidy burritos.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I made some habanero beer with my brother-in-law. It was undrinkable and I can stand some pretty damn hot stuff. Used habanero since they didn't have jalapeno, but I did only use 3 instead of the 6 jalapenos. Good for marinade, playing tricks on people, and bio warfare.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

Habaneros are no joke. I'm pretty sure the stuff I saw didn't use them. They put a jalapeno in every bottle too.

I like the fiery habanero salsa at Qdoba, though I have built some tolerance to it already. In the wrong hands, these things can really wreak havoc. Imagine what a little juice in someone's contact solution/eye drops could do.

I bet it was a good marinade though. I'll have to keep that one in mind.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

My one recommendation is: wear gloves when chopping habaneros - it doesn't make you a sissy, it makes you someone who's balls don't burn after being scratched even after 6 handwashings.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
farfrumwork
Second Gear

Post by farfrumwork »

Turbodog = awesome
I've been a fan since ~'93, when I started making spring break trips to N.O. ahhhh, good times - good times

and hang on here!!! - - Hog Heaven is my favorite beer around. Barley Style ain't for lightweights, no offense to you personally, it's 9.2% alcohol and highly hopped. Avery brewery makes some bad-ass beer.

And yeah, I don't drink to get hammered... it just happens ;-) (especially, when you drink beer that ranges from 6-9+%)

:lol: on the handwashing - I had a painfull experience post peper choppin' when I just went to the pisser - I recommend GLOVES too! haha
Old - '93 T-Leg - 14.693 @ 92.68 at 5800ft ASL (Bandimere Speedway)
New - 07 Spec B/stg 2

"bloodstains - speed kills -fast cars - cheap thrills -rich girls - fine wine
i've lost my sense - i've lost control - i've lost my mind" Agent Orange
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

We drank moonshine when I was in WV. I'm no lightweight.

206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

a friend of mine has a batch of really hoppy IPA that should go into the keg soon. his past beers have really been hit or miss, so we'll see about this one.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped