Good source for auto trans rebuild kit

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

R-Inge
In Neutral

Good source for auto trans rebuild kit

Post by R-Inge »

I am thinking about doing a major overhaul of the Scoob to keep it going strong for another 200,000mi (I just rounded 180,000 this week!). Part of the plan is a complete transmission rebuild along with a slew of other very costly and hardly practical ideas.

Any suggestions on where to get my rebuild kit? I am talking all frictions/steels, seals, gaskets, solenoids, etc. I don't anticipate any hard-part failures but I will naturally measure clearances and replace as necessary.

Car: 1994 Subaru Legacy non-turbo 2.2l engine 4spd auto.

I suppose if you suggest some good upgrades I could implement those as well.
~R-Inge
1994 Legacy L Wagon, N/A Spruce Green.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Well, if your budget isn't to tight, then i would get a rebuild done by a dealer, i can NOT recommend a transmission shop, as they i have NO trust at all in ANY transmission shop ever! I think my dealer told me about $3000CDN for a FULL rebuild.

Just wondering though, are there any issues with your transmission as off right now?
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
R-Inge
In Neutral

Post by R-Inge »

ericem wrote:Well, if your budget isn't to tight, then i would get a rebuild done by a dealer, i can NOT recommend a transmission shop, as they i have NO trust at all in ANY transmission shop ever! I think my dealer told me about $3000CDN for a FULL rebuild.

Just wondering though, are there any issues with your transmission as off right now?
I would do the work myself. I'm a mechanic, though transmissions are not my forte.

The car doesn't have any problems really...the AWD hesitates to engage under hard throttle, so it tends to spin the front tires in the ice if I get on it too hard off an intersection, but I image the transfer clutch is in rough shape as I had a pretty bad shudder, and it still hasn't gone away, though it lessened a bit with a BG tranny flush last year.

I think I may just rebuild the transfer clutch, replace my solenoids, and perform any available updates to the valve body that might improve line pressure and shift quality.
~R-Inge
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

well, in that case i suggest u get the new updated rear housing, come with solenoid clutch everything and updated design to hit torque bind, from wear and tear, not from uneven tires. See how much a dealer will quote u for all the parts.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
R-Inge
In Neutral

Post by R-Inge »

ericem wrote:well, in that case i suggest u get the new updated rear housing, come with solenoid clutch everything and updated design to hit torque bind, from wear and tear, not from uneven tires. See how much a dealer will quote u for all the parts.
Yeah, I'll do that. I didn't realize there was an updated rear housing.

I do know that the previous owner had some work like that done to it for a much more serious issue, which involved r/r the rear housing, but I don't know if it was the updated one, and I especially wonder since it has the bind issue these days.
~R-Inge
legacy4ever
Second Gear

Post by legacy4ever »

Ben
93MY EUDM Legacy EJ22