Exhaust Cut Out Question

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Subtle
Third Gear

Exhaust Cut Out Question

Post by Subtle »

Within a week the vf34 should be installed and while in the shop the exhaust will be changed.

The useless cat will be replaced by an additional silencer, which will make the main exhaust system that much quieter. In my ears on longer summer drives--this good. :!:

However, fun will be obtained by installing a cut out at the bottom turn of the DP. This is the 2.25 inch QTP electric one that controls the opening from closed to wide open.

Now, this could be LOUD--maybe too many decibels for a track. :(

Should I put on a short resonator on the cut out pipe that will blast the exhaust to the ground :?:
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
napphappy
Second Gear

Post by napphappy »

It will be loud, but what is too loud? The turbo cuts the dBs a little.
1997 White BG Ltd 5MT, EJ22T with Wiescos, EJ20R Heads, Two large dents R.I.P
1995 Impreza EJ22T DOHC Hydra EMS, 20g, EWG, 3in APS TBE, AWIC
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

napphappy wrote:It will be loud, but what is too loud? The turbo cuts the dBs a little.
Until the wastegate opens :D
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

It'll be fine.

If you can't handle the cutout, put it directly before the first silencer and have it point down. That'll put it slightly aft of the driver, and you'll be OK on the noise level.

I run open downpipe at times, and I never have a problem.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
TDGKORN
First Gear

Post by TDGKORN »

I have a 3" QTP cutout right after my 3" catless downpipe.

Let me tell you its loud as hell. It rattles every loose piece of plastic in the car. But the glory is you can close it when you want.

Another plus is, when some punk pulls up next to you with a shit but loud exhaust, you can open it up and scare the crap out of them when you takeoff.

Troy
92 legacy ss 4eat
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

Thanks guys.

Andy, who mainly does the mods wouldn't install the cutout off the DP.

Too much noise for tracks these days.

However, he did note that the final silencer will be restrictive to the higher out put from the vf34, but a bigger one would be louder.

In a earlier post under Turbo, I thought that the cutout can be installed just before the final silencer.

This would enhance the flow and add to the good noise as the real LOUD would be dampened by the two up stream resonators.

I think this will work :smt045
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

We have a customer with a Legacy GT that has a built motor and a big turbo with a 3" cutout right at the exhaust split at the rear end.

So you have the stock axle-backs connect to the y-pipe, and a cutout in between. THe pipe leading to that point is 3" mandrel with a single resonator. Sounds pretty nice when it's open.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

what is a decent cable actuated cutout to get?
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

Both Troy and I have the QTP electric motor driven ones.

Any angle is possible from open to closed :-)
Autotech
In Neutral

Post by Autotech »

Subtle wrote:Both Troy and I have the QTP electric motor driven ones.

Any angle is possible from open to closed :-)
I just bought one of those, waiting for it to get here, i can't wait, its going on the end of my 3in catless DP...should be super loud!!
:lol:
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

You young guys can do this, but I'm trying to act my age. :?

As mentioned above,, the increased performance from the vf34 will need a bigger back silencer. This would be too loud for me.

Looks like enough room to mount the cut-out aft of the axle with the pipe coming out back of the passenger- side rear wheel.

This would reduce back pressure and give a good blast to whomever is being passed :D

Wont be too loud though--there are two resonators down stream from the DP

As the waste gate dump from the 34 is bigger than the vf11, the divorced dump pipe needed a larger dia pipe.

Still sounds good :!:
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

I wonder why no companies have made a DP with integrated cutout. epa regs maybe? "strictly for off road use only" sticker might do it?
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
Autotech
In Neutral

Post by Autotech »

QTP does make a downpipe with a cut out, but its just for the wrx and a couple other cars.
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

Cut - out installed

The exhaust runs from a 3-inch divorced DP , necked down to 2.5 with two resonators( no cat) out to a Vibrant silencer with two out pipes.

The cutout is in a 2.5 pipe running from the bend just before the silencer
straight back to turn down just before the rear bumper.

Didn't want the third pipe to be seen sticking out the back.

When open the spool up is noticably quicker and the sound is louder :-D

When closed it's back to reasonably quiet. :-) Switch is on the dash left and low from the steering wheel.
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

I was searching through the archives looking for others who have done the QTP cut out and bumped into this thread so I thought i would bring it back to life. I am definitely going to get one of these when I have the money (next pay check), I just need to do a bit more research and find the place I am going to put it (I'm thinking right after my downpipe cat) and what diameter the pipe is at that point (I think it's 2.25"). I was wondering though, would there be any issues with boost creep having the cut out right after my cat? Maybe after I do the coffee mug mod (which is my next step).

Either way, I'm excited to be getting this because I really want to bring out my rumble and turbo sounds mmm mmm. Time to dig some more into the archives.
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]