Whats the most boost you can get from stock turbo?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

subarufan
In Neutral

Whats the most boost you can get from stock turbo?

Post by subarufan »

I was wondering, how much boost can you get from the stock turbo? Also, at what point does an intercooler become nessesary? How do you go about increasing your boost? Thanks.
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

I ran 15 psi with my stock vf 10 and no intercooler. but with stand alone engine management.
you increase boost with some type of a boost controller.
but be careful that is how people blow up there engine's.
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

I think the general consensus is that around 10-11 lbs is about all your should run without an intercooler. wiht stock engine management, I've had it up to 12, but only when it's bitter cold outside so the intake charge is still nice n chilly.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I think 10 is high even with an intercooler. The amount of air needed to flow at that pressure is well above the turbos efficiency range. All you are doing is adding tons of heat.
subarufan
In Neutral

Post by subarufan »

what type of boost do they run stock?
Jarvis
In Neutral

Post by Jarvis »

8.7 lbs/sq inch IIRC.

Jim
www.thepearsonhome.com/subaru_legacy.htm
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Whoa, people seem to be very conservative in this thread :D

These cars run 8.7 pounds stock. So practically 9 psi from the factory without an intercooler. When you add an intercooler 14-15 psi is fine (with a FCD). After that your just adding heat.

Mind you Nico Turbine is/was?? running 20 psi, WITH a massive truck Front mount intercooler in his Legacy. Last thing I heard his stock turbo (RHB5) hadn't let him down yet, but that was a while back :o

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Anybody have the graph for the turbo showing its operating ranges? I always thought it was near the limit to begin with.
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

The RHB5 is practically identical to a WRX TD04 which runs stock at 14.5 psi and is good till about 16 psi. The reason the Legacy turbo only runs 9 pounds is because SOA/SOC didn't bother adding an intercooler.

Mark,
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Mind you, 15psi on a 2L motor is different than a 2.2L motor. I'm not sure if these calculations are exact, but considering a 2.2L motor is 10% larger in volume that you'd have to fill than a 2L motor your expected max psi accomplished by a turbo is roughly 10%. that puts a turbo at around 13.5psi efficiency. Sure, the turbo can push this much air, but again, the wrx is intercooled.

I remember reading about that guy running 20psi non-intercooled. His engine let go about a month or so later. Melted a piston. I remember the pictures.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

I remember that guy. his boost controller would spike to 20 PSI a little too frequently. one time he got a really hard detonation and blew a hole right through the block. you could see into the crankcase from teh outside. very ugly.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1990 CRX Si (for sale)

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Not that I know a whole bunch about turbos and stuff, but would the longevity of the engine be compromised by upping boost even a little bit?

Igg, you use of the word "teh" was very funny considering the goings-on on NASIOC yesterday :lol:
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

"teh" 20psi pike hole :
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

wonder if the knock sensor picked that one up.....hahaha :lol:
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

subyluvr2212 wrote: Igg, you use of the word "teh" was very funny considering the goings-on on NASIOC yesterday :lol:
Yeah, nick was having a little fun with everyone for april fool's day :D . last time he did something like that was when I convinced him to swap the word "wrx" with the word "n00b" to spite all those with WRX in their username :lol: . got interesting. but theat one only lasted 10 minutes.

yeah. teh 20 PSI spike was a bad thing. I think with intercooling and proper management, 20 P{SI would be easily feasible. "teh junkie" isn't too far away from that now.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1990 CRX Si (for sale)

boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Hehe. Yeah, I'm close . . . but I won't go anywhere near 20psi sustained without some injectors. :shock:

The closest I've gone (for about a 10 second run), was 18psi. Injectors were maxed and A/F was still showing rich, although closer to stoich, and it was about 10degrees outside. Needless to say, I lowered my boost controller after that . . .

Kelly should probably be able to make more than 20psi with his Autronic ecu and 800cc injectors that he should be getting soon, if he hasn't already gotten them.

-the junkie :twisted:
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

i ran 20psi in mine for a few short bursts and it only began to lean out past 18psi. tons of fun too! but then again i run 16-17psi all day every day and no problems here. hey boostjunkie I visited your site and noticed you opted for a top mount cooler, why? with the standard bonnet vent you get no where near enough airflow to even make a top mounted air/air cooler work efficiently you would have been far better off going for a genuine water air cooler.
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Heh, it came with the car. I could go with a front mount or an a/w intercooler, but for now, the a/a top mount is sufficient for my needs. I'll use that money for injectors instead;)

-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

As you can see the IC is not that important to this engine. It runs well with no IC stock. I just wish I could adjust the timing to get more out of my IC. It must pull a lot of timing to run 12 psi with no IC.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

LEGACY T whats up
I LOVE IT LEGACY LOVERS F&%K THOSE WRX STI JUNK. WE GOT THE BEST TURBO MOTOR & NO RISTRICTIONS & SLEEPER STYLES HAHAHA.

By the way my car is still alive & yes u can get that baby turbo up two 24half psi but i run 20psi cuz i ant crazy. on the other hand the weak link in this car is the tranny. how many times has my dad rebuild mine - this will be my fitfh time. i owned it five years and every year four or five years i blow a gear.

if u guys out a down pipe the good ones thats all u need mad HP out of that. our up pipes R the best in the world we dont got a cat in the pipe so i wasted more money on this dame hks one, o well. but the best thing u can do to a legacy turbo is the down pipe. WOW! lets put it this way; SVT stang vs. me and two people, half a tank of 94octane. 1st same 2nd all most there 3rd BYE 4ft & then slam on the little rotors cuz u dont whant to get killed at the light cuz its red! svt guy said "what the fuck how the fuck and is there a v8 in there?!" hahahah

any ways GOOD 2 C LEGACY FANS! belive me, best motor subaru has evermade & i work at the dealer ship i drove all kinds & no wrx OR sti come close. But talons, those guys r hard i hate those cars but what can u do. i no rip ur car cut ur car & take everything out ahahahah
well i got to go BEAUTIFUL WEB PAGE
CIAO

(edited for a bit more clarity by Jason)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nico,

watch the language
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

heh :D
Last edited by LegacyT on Sat May 10, 2003 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

sorry about the language i get excited some times
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

no worries :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

Diving in the archives of legacy central I bumped into this. Man nico is a funny guy, but he says a lot in his crazy rantings. For instance, I had no idea we didn't have cats in our uppipes, I thought all turbos did :D

that makes me happy
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]