A pillar gauges...

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BAC5.2

A pillar gauges...

Post by BAC5.2 »

A few questions:

1) Does anyone have 3 gauges on the pillar?

2) Do they get in the way at all?

3) That's really all right now.

For the time being, I think I am going to toss my gauges on the pillar. 2 for now (Boost and EGT). Not only do I not have the time, but I don't have the funds for a custom setup at the moment.

I want to do a radio mod and have the gauges there, but I need a new headunit, which I don't have (sold it with my 95).

I was also thinking of doing the gauges in the instrument cluster bezel via a custom bezel, but I don't want to block the fuel gauge or anything.

Thanks guys.

Oh yea, all CRX pods will work on the car right? I was going to get the one from Stewart Warner (because I'm getting SW gauges too). It should work no problem right?
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Post by QuickDrive »

The Pod I'm using is a CRX pod Phil.

It doesn't get in the way and if need be, there would be room for a third there withought getting in the way.

They're really not that noticable outside the car either, unless you're looking in from the windshield on the passengerside.

My .02$
R I P-------- 91 Turbo 4EAT --------R I P
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

The only time my A-pillar gauges seem to "be in the way" is when I'm making a long, sweeping left turn around a corner that's somewhat blind. (ie, around a building, etc)

It's really not at all bad, though. Just takes a few days to get used to. ;)
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

When I take long sweeping left turns I usually lean in so my head is close to the centerline of the car anyway; even the stock A-pillar would be a dangerous blind spot if I didn't.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Yea, I do what Vikash does. Habit from driving my truck (that damn thing had like a 4" wide A-Pillar and those Ventshade deals too.

Good, so it won't get in the way TO much. And meanwhile, I can draw up plans for a custom pimp style install.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

I used the crx pillar in mine. If you wanna know what it looks like in person, maybe you could visit vrg3 the next time he's in town. As much as I wanted to keep the "sleeper" look, honestly, I thought that having gauges (especially the essential ones like EGT, boost, oil pressure, and fuel pressure) out of quick view worries me.

I had the oil pressure and fuel pressure on the a-pillar and boost and a/f on the steering column. I was gonna get an egt gauge that I was planning on attaching to the steering column as well.

Whenever I would drive the car, my eyes would be darting to several positions, and mounting the gauges in those strategic positions allowed me to take the least amount of time to divert my eyes from the road.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
NemesisEJ22t
First Gear

Post by NemesisEJ22t »

You'll love those SW gauges, i have the white face ones in my Celica and they are extremely easy to read, and seem to be very accurate. They are a nice alternative to Autometer IMO.
Ben
91 Celica All-Trac @ 0 psi (turbo being installed)

92 Celica Turbo FWD (swap) @ 12 psi HOLY CRAP!!! I miss AWD
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I was looking at Quickdrive's pictures, and it looks like the CRX pod doesn't fit around the A-Pillar very well?

Brat4by4's setup with a 94-01 Integra pod looks a lot better.

I think I'll take a trip to the local speed shop and do a test fit on the pods before I buy.

Flip_x
Second Gear

Post by Flip_x »

wouldnt the automatic seatbelt thing on the a-pilar be in the way??
1990 Legacy Sedan LS AWD 5-MT 162k miles Slate Metallic (Sold to Brother)

1992 Legacy SS AWD 5-MT 180k miles Mica Black
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

That's most of the problem. We have to work around the belts.

I wonder if a WRX pillar pod, or a 93-01 Impreza pillar would work if trimmed down...

Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Flip_x wrote:wouldnt the automatic seatbelt thing on the a-pilar be in the way??
It wasn't on mine.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Post by QuickDrive »

BAC5.2 wrote:I was looking at Quickdrive's pictures, and it looks like the CRX pod doesn't fit around the A-Pillar very well?

Brat4by4's setup with a 94-01 Integra pod looks a lot better.

I think I'll take a trip to the local speed shop and do a test fit on the pods before I buy.
You're right it doesn't fit all that well. I hummed and hawwed for about 10 minutes, But when I looked at it, and then I looked at the car, I realized it's not a new WRX and it didn't matter to me that the pod had a 1/4" gap between it and the pillar or that it's black and the pillar is grey. They work and look pretty good all tucked in there.

Be sure to report your findings of a better fitting pod... although I'm sure you will.
R I P-------- 91 Turbo 4EAT --------R I P
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

I would like to revive this old thread, because I am going to be installing a boost gauge and something else important (i think the next in line is the EGT) and I want to mount them in the a pillar. I have heard the ~89 crx a pillar pod kinda fits, and that the 02 wrx one fits a lot more. Can I get some pics of everyone a pillar pods?
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
mattyg41383
First Gear

Post by mattyg41383 »

I used a 93+ Impreza single gauge on mine... http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=29733 The color is actually closer than it looks in the pics. Hope that helps you a bit.
-Matt
1993 Legacy SS - auto
1997 Impreza coupe
1986 XT - 14.5s @ 95mph
1990 Legacy wagon "the Red Dragon" -sold (300K miles and it lives on)
92whitelegacy
Second Gear

Post by 92whitelegacy »

yea i used a gc chassis 2 pod on mine, fits the best.
92 ss 275k+mi, kartboy shifter/bushings, gauges. VRG3 FCD II, NGK I'4s, TDO5-16G 4" dp CAT-less 3"tbe 4.11 gears.