Custom Projector Headlights for Budget-Minded Folk

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

redlineracer
First Gear

Custom Projector Headlights for Budget-Minded Folk

Post by redlineracer »

Well I wanted to play around with the front end of my car and decided to make some custom projector headlights for my car. I ordered some 97-01 Impreza Twin Halo Rally headlightsfrom Ebay called Corozon IT-01.

Well after some testing with fitting and alignment of the headlights with the original headlamps that the projectors came in, I decided to make my own projector headlights. So I went to the store and bought 3 1/2" hole saw, 2 5/8" hole saw and some aqauarium sealer, 2 H4 wiring pigtails.

First off, I marked where my first intial drill points would be. You do not have to take off the lens of the headlamp but it would makde it a hell of a lot easier. I drilled my holes with the lens still in. Then the hole saw did the rest. After the first hole (2 5/8") was made I used a fine sandpaper and got all the left over plastic pieces off the cut area and made it a smooth surface. I also pulled out the light deflector inside the headlamp out because you will not need them.

Then I made my second hole (3 1/2") and I repeated the same thing as the first step.

I made the holes 1 1/2 inches away from each other and the bigger projector on the outside part of the headlight and the smaller projector on the inside part of the Legacy headlight.

Pull the projector lights out of the Impreza headlamp that the porjecotrs came in. Take off all the wing nuts and all the threaded studs out. Unscrew the holder on the ion projector. Run your wires through to the back of the stock Legacy headlamp. Once all the wires are fed out through where the old 9004 bubs go into, put in your lights.

I found out with the 3 1/2" hole was a tight squeeze to get the bigger projector in. You have to trim a notch for where the threaded studs used to be. I just used a sharp box cutter and I trimmed it. After that was done, I put in my second projector, which was kinda intersting because you can do one of two things...put in the the whole projector and make it flush (pain in the butt) or put it on the outside with only the chrome ring sticking out. I did it sticking out and it looks good.

Now fun with aquarium sealer...I used the sealer used lttle. Using very little as possible, I outlined the bottm of the chrome ring using the sealer and I also did the regular light/sealed projector. After a couple of layers of aqaurium sealer and trimming extra sealent.

Now this protects your headlamps from the elements and is very waterproof. If you have your projectors coming from the inside (when you remove the lens of the Legacy headlamps), apply the sealer from the inside around the cup of the projectors. But make sure all your connections are secure. I put electrical tape around the dual spade connectors and around the Halo wires to make sure it wouldnt move.

After the sealer has dried enough so it wont pop out or slide out, you can put the lens back on the headlamp housing using the same sealer. Now you can mask the projectors and paint the headlamps a color of choice. In my case it was glossy metallic silver grey with several coats of clear coat. Make sure you use medium-fine grit sandpaper before applying the paint unless you are using a primer, to ensure that the paint sticks to the lens of the headlamp. Add a few coats and clear coat and let dry for 24hrs or heat dry.

Connect the wires to the H4 pigtail harness from your 9004 harness. Make sure you have at least 1-2" of wire left if you want to revert back to 9004s. Connect your new harness to the the provided H4 projector harness and you're done. You now have custom projector headlights.

I will get some pictures up of the finished project. I will completing my project tomorrow and I will bolt it up to the car.

Remember: I did this on my own. I am just sharing the info so it might be useful for other people. If you break your own part(s) from using my instructions I am NOT liable for any property that has been destroyed, destroyed or miswired. :D Have a nice day!

I hope you all find this useful!
-1992 Legacy AWD Wagon-

"Leave it up to a Subaru to pull your friend with a Ford out of the mud when he gets stuck!"

Total Pullouts out of the mud or sand:
Subaru - 0 * Ford - 14 * Chevy - 2 * Dodge - 3
kidatari
Second Gear

Post by kidatari »

Pics please :D

If you need someone to host the pics, PM me.
[size=75]91 Perl White 5MT Legacy Sport Sedan[/size]
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

tittywop
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
jnorion
Third Gear

Post by jnorion »

Yeah, I'm having a hard time understanding parts of it without seeing them. Also, what was the actual cost of the project, for us budget-minded folk? ;)
~Joel
1991 Legacy LSi sedan | 1990 Legacy L wagon
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
do you have them in yet? hows the lighting? any better then stock?
farfrumwork
Second Gear

Post by farfrumwork »

Yes PICS!!!! :-D

Now that's it's been winter and dark I remember that I hate my stock lights with a passion.

I've been looking at the TSX and S2000 retrofits that have been going on over on NASIOC and am wishing for somethin' similar... but probably not HID - Halogen projectors would be sweet - well maybe I could live with some bi-xenon HID's as they would keep the single point output but have high/low.

anyway...
Old - '93 T-Leg - 14.693 @ 92.68 at 5800ft ASL (Bandimere Speedway)
New - 07 Spec B/stg 2

"bloodstains - speed kills -fast cars - cheap thrills -rich girls - fine wine
i've lost my sense - i've lost control - i've lost my mind" Agent Orange
redlineracer
First Gear

Post by redlineracer »

UPDATE: You need to make tilted angle rings that sit flush with the edge of the projector's light rings so it will sit flush with the road. So basically if you pop the projectors in there it will fire upwards instead of level with the road. But I will get pics up pretty soon. LOL I just figured they were firing up when people were flashing their high beams at me.
-1992 Legacy AWD Wagon-

"Leave it up to a Subaru to pull your friend with a Ford out of the mud when he gets stuck!"

redlineracer
First Gear

Post by redlineracer »

Also TOTAL cost of the project: Under $200.

Lights: $129 w/ shipping
Hole saws: $9/per x 2 = $18 at local hardware store
Adapter for hole saws: $8
Aqauarium sealant: $5 for the big tube
Krylon Spray paint: $2/per x 3 = $6 (2 of same color, 1 of clear coat)
Fine sandpaper: $2/pack x 1 = $2
Masking tape: $1.50/roll

Electrical tape and butt connectors extra for wiring but wont cost you a lot of money. I got my H4 pigtails for $1.99 at a local auto parts store. But as you can see this is well under $200 for a set of projector headlights that you can make yourself.
-1992 Legacy AWD Wagon-

smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Pics? Please this sounds interesting.
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

If I open this post one more time and dont see pics I'm banning it forever! Although I have no authority to do so...
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

I second that. Even though I'm still in "neutral". :lol:
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
Cynt
In Neutral

Post by Cynt »

OMGWTFBBQ you need to post pics... :x

You meanie.
2006 Steel Grey Impreza 2.5i wagon
1991 Black Trucklinered Legacy SS
Tone-us
First Gear

Post by Tone-us »

This is what I'll be doing once I get a chance. Should be very similar except it will only be a single bulb style headlight like a normal Legacy. I might have to use Bi- Xenon bulbs to have highs and lows? Now I just have to get my hands on some EDM headlights with the glass fronts.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=63481

I think it would work really well. Even if I just have the (lows) it would be better than my (highs) now. What does everyone think?
jnorion
Third Gear

Post by jnorion »

Tone-us wrote:I think it would work really well. Even if I just have the (lows) it would be better than my (highs) now. What does everyone think?
The retrofit would work really well, yes, but only having the lows will NOT be better than your highs now. They will probably be brighter, but they have a sharp cutoff as you can see in the sample pictures, and you won't be able to see distances down the road at all.
~Joel
1991 Legacy LSi sedan | 1990 Legacy L wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That guy did a nice write-up!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kidatari
Second Gear

Post by kidatari »

redlinerace: any pics yet? :\
[size=75]91 Perl White 5MT Legacy Sport Sedan[/size]
Tone-us
First Gear

Post by Tone-us »

Whatever happened to the pics? :(
redlineracer
First Gear

Post by redlineracer »

Sorry for the wait....I've been quite busy lately and havent been able to come to the BBS for a while but I noticed that the plastic housing on the OEM headlamp unit doesnt work as well so I had to modify the housings for the Impreza that came with the kit. So here the pics are. If you would notice that I changed out the inner headlamps for blue fogs that work just as well and wired my halos so when I turn on the headlight switch the halo and the inner headlamps light up. Its quite remarkable and a big difference at night. The headlight aimer screw on the far side of the headlight should fit, you would need to modify the upper headlight aiming screw for there is no place for it on the 93-97 Imprezas. I have got a lot of comments on how my car looks. I painted my grille black and it looks a hell of a lot meaner.

BEFORE:
AFTER WITH BLUE INNER FOGS AND BLACK PAINTED GRILLE:
-1992 Legacy AWD Wagon-

theflystyle
Second Gear

Post by theflystyle »

any way you can get some higher res pics??
-94 Legacy L
-94 SVX LSi
-08 Legacy 3.0R

-And the list of things your should never say again...gets longer....
klaxed
Second Gear

Post by klaxed »

theflystyle wrote:any way you can get some higher res pics??
Yeah, crappy cell phone pics ftw!!! :P jkjk. looks good. but could we get some better pics.
Brent

'92 Legacy Wagon Winestone, 265K on body, ~100K on engine, 5spd, kyb gr2's w/ whiteline ground control springs, sti top hats, hatch spoiler to be added soon...
Tone-us
First Gear

Post by Tone-us »

Maybe some night time pics if it's not too big of a hassle?
turboleg
Second Gear

Post by turboleg »

Dude..I'm all about keeping my soob sleaper...

But yours looks AWSOME! Loving the head lights. Real hood pins or the stick on kind?
- Findlay
"You say grease monkey like its a bad thing"
http://www.toolsource.com
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

So is there any pics of the actual work? Great write-up but I am still confused. I really want to do this to my car.
1993 Legacy Turbo Sedan SadPanda
1994 Legacy Turbo Wagon (Aspen)--SOLD
1990 2.2l Legacy--RIP
Keeping the Legacy's Legacy

"Straight roads are for fast cars. turning roads are for fast drivers"

Official Subaru Ambassador