Playing with the beater - Now with FP GREEN!

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

There are HUGE benefits to running quality silicone. Having a pain-in-the-ass-to-reach hose split just once is enough to make $60 well worth the investment/
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

BAC5.2 wrote:There are HUGE benefits to running quality silicone. Having a pain-in-the-ass-to-reach hose split just once is enough to make $60 well worth the investment/
if i am only running boost in the 11-12 range max can i get by on the less expensive silocone?

i am going to add an older V. II slanted top mount soon to my car.

then a boost gauge and a mbc soon after that.

everyting else wil be stock, just getting bored with 9 pounds of boost and i finally have some extra cash to play around.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

So you turbo'd the car...and you're going to cheap on a silicone sleeve?

c'mon dude, I know it's expensive, but seriously.
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
www.sl-i.net (for all Legacys!)
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

$50 bucks to do it once. Countless cussing doing it more than once.

Just get the good hose, and T-bolt clamps.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

Post by Innovative Tuning »

wiscon_mark wrote:So you turbo'd the car...and you're going to cheap on a silicone sleeve?

Well it comes factory turbo, but yes I upgraded the turbo and I did use very high quality hose. The problem is the sucking force you get when you're sucking a large volume of air through a standard size inlet which is already mashed up against the intake manifold. It's too much for even a really good coupler. It's four ply and very stiff but that wasn't enough.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Mark was referring to Greg, I think.

Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

Heh ok I wasn't sure. Yes good couplers and clamps are a must. Vacuum and charge pipe leaks cause the majority of the problems I see with cars that come here for tuning.

T bolts weren't enough on mine with the stock plastic charge pipe and we have to use a tie down to keep it from blowing both ends off, but with a proper beaded pipe it's not an issue at boost levels as low as 20 psi.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

wiscon_mark wrote:So you turbo'd the car...and you're going to cheap on a silicone sleeve?

didnt turb the car. subaru did. i am just going to add an TMIC and will not be adding any boost for a while.

plus, as i have never done anything like this i would rather experiment with less expensive hose to get the right lengths and dimensions. and then if this stuff blows up buy the "better" stuff and know exactly what the dimensions are that i will need.

i agree on the do it right first approach. but i need convincing that the less expensive hose is the wrong approach. and yes i am open to convincing (see my hose discussion thread).

and worm gear clamps will not be used.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

BAC5.2 wrote:$50 bucks to do it once. Countless cussing doing it more than once.

Just get the good hose, and T-bolt clamps.
have you used the less expensive hose?

what pressures did you start to blow hoses at?
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

I take cheap hoses off at least 2 cars a week because it has cracked/burst under heat/pressure and from oil vapor/blowby eating it. There's absolutely no reason not to buy good hose the first time. Measure twice, cut once, enjoy!

Worm gear clamps not only don't clamp as well as t-bolts, they chew up your nice couplers.

The hose/clamp discussion can continue elsewhere. Thanks!

-Mike
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

Innovative Tuning wrote:I take cheap hoses off at least 2 cars a week because it has cracked/burst under heat/pressure and from oil vapor/blowby eating it. There's absolutely no reason not to buy good hose the first time. Measure twice, cut once, enjoy!

Worm gear clamps not only don't clamp as well as t-bolts, they chew up your nice couplers.

The hose/clamp discussion can continue elsewhere. Thanks!

-Mike
do you mind popping over to my hose thread to share what makes a cheap hose a cheap hose? and would you care to share what brand of hoses and couplers you sell?

pictures and company PR dont tell me enough about the hoses.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

Cheap hoses are flimsy and they can't handle heat, pressure, and oil vapor as well as a good hose. That's about it. The ones I sell aren't a brand name. They're fantastic and they look like this:

Time for a new thread. I put a standalone in so I guess it's hard to call it a beater now.